Why no Verizon support on the OnePlusOne??

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I dunno.... It's possible... HTC tried it with the original HTC EVO 4G and then the HTC EVO 4G LTE with Sprint and the Thunderbolt with Verizon... Exclusive CDMA phones and it didn't help HTC at all..

I would say that the HTC Evo had issues because the Sprint network does not have adequate coverage in many places. As for the Thunderbolt, that had issues with the LTE radio draining the battery a lot.

OnePlus really needs to ask a simple question: Is it worthwhile to do business with Verizon? For now, it appears that the answer is no, which is why there is no OnePlus One for Verizon at this moment. Maybe that will change if OnePlus manages to sell a lot of phones. It may then see Verizon as a good place to expand. A lot of other companies make phones for Verizon and they seem to do well.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My take is its a Verizon issue. They have a choice to allow unlocked phones on their network and they said no. If its super important to you there are other options out there for unlocked phones. Att and Tmo if their coverage works for your needs. Not sure if Sprint will get it but Sprint's network in my opinion is just to slow to even entertain. (VT anyways!)

xach000

May 26, 2011
Visit site
GSM networks do cover alot, but I live in the south in a rural area where CDMA is the only option. ATT and T Mobile don't even exist around here. Verizon 4G is my only option. I love my Galaxy S5 but I would love to see comparable phones at cheaper prices.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a ton to say other than I was disappointed to find out this phone wasn't compatible with Verizon (I travel the U.S. for a living, so network coverage is everything for me). For one, I can appreciate a company like this that sells a no nonsense, streamlined, and powerful phone at a low cost not bowing to someone like a Verizon that would require a special version loaded with bloat and who knows what. On the other hand, if both companies start getting emails and phone calls from people asking for this phone on Verizon, it may spur them to work out a deal that's a win for everyone.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Lol why do people act surprised that an unlocked phone doesn't support CDMA?

Well, that, but more importantly nobody should be surprised that Verizon would never accept an unlocked phone onto its network that it hasn't personally tested and certified to run on its network.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nobody cares about CDMA on a global basis. They don't want to make a special phone for verizon. It's not worth there time when 98% of the world is GSM. Verizon is the odd man out in the world. Just the way it is. No nexus. No anything special.. not surprising

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nobody cares about CDMA on a global basis. They don't want to make a special phone for verizon. It's not worth there time when 98% of the world is GSM. Verizon is the odd man out in the world. Just the way it is. No nexus. No anything special.. not surprising

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Actually Verizon did get the Galaxy Nexus. And nexus 7.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Nobody cares about CDMA on a global basis. They don't want to make a special phone for verizon.

It probably makes sense for OnePlus to hold off on releasing a Verizon phone because they can't even meet the demand they have right now. Leave Verizon to the bigger players in the mobile market: HTC, LG, Motorola, and Samsung. Once OnePlus gets bigger, we can then start thinking about a Verizon phone.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It seems like they are missing a huge market by not having the phone work on Verizon. I probably would have gotten one if it could work, but with the great coverage I get and my good plan I'm not willing to leave big red.

I was a die hard fan of Verizon for over 10 years....got tired of making compromises every time a phone came out or an update got released. I have since left and am enjoying my Nexus 5 on 4.4.3 on AT&T and have found that I have better service than my wife who is still on Verizon.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have since left and am enjoying my Nexus 5 on 4.4.3 on AT&T and have found that I have better service than my wife who is still on Verizon.

You are lucky enough to have a choice of carriers in your area. For some people, they can only get coverage from Verizon. So either they stick with Verizon, or they get no service at all.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You are lucky enough to have a choice of carriers in your area. For some people, they can only get coverage from Verizon. So either they stick with Verizon, or they get no service at all.

It's like that for other carriers as well.. I've heard of areas where Verizon is bad and only AT&T works... So It depends on where you live :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's like that for other carriers as well.. I've heard of areas where Verizon is bad and only AT&T works... So It depends on where you live :).

We also have to remember that if AT&T could implement a technical solution to block unlocked phones like the OnePlus One, they would. The only reason why they are not like Verizon is because AT&T uses GSM instead of CDMA.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
We also have to remember that if AT&T could implement a technical solution to block unlocked phones like the OnePlus One, they would. The only reason why they are not like Verizon is because AT&T uses GSM instead of CDMA.

I think AT&T is fully capably of technically blocking ANY device on their network. They do control what IMEI numbers they allow on their network.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think AT&T is fully capably of technically blocking ANY device on their network. They do control what IMEI numbers they allow on their network.

However, it's a lot easier for someone to bring a non-AT&T device onto AT&T's network. It's virtually impossible to do the same on Verizon.

If AT&T starts routinely blocking devices like the OnePlus One because they are not officially from AT&T, then I think we have a concern.