Why no Verizon support on the OnePlusOne??

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
However, it's a lot easier for someone to bring a non-AT&T device onto AT&T's network. It's virtually impossible to do the same on Verizon.

If AT&T starts routinely blocking devices like the OnePlus One because they are not officially from AT&T, then I think we have a concern.

Very true

Hi5 from the sV

goldenboyrb

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Then why do other companies make Verizon phones? HTC, LG, Motorola, and Samsung all do. There must be some benefit for collaborating with Verizon.

Whoaaaaaaaa... hold on a minute there. you are comparing OnePlus with those phone companies? OnePlus is barely established this year! where HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung had been in the market for 10 years+. the capital is different. you would have to look at the different point of view. at the moment, OnePlus would focus on GSM providers (which is the worldwide standard). you're comparing a market with billions of potential buyer on GSM vs just 200 millions tops on CDMA.

Again the keyword is WORLDWIDE. please remember that. Just because Verizon has the most customers in the US, it doesn't mean it has the most customer in the world. I personally have lived here in the States for 12+ years, and would never consider CDMA service. T-Mobile has been great where I live.

Now if I remember correctly, Verizon Galaxy Nexus was a joke anyway. OTA updates got delayed, bloatwares, etc etc. so I wouldn't even consider Verizon Galaxy Nexus a GPE device; it's just another Samsung Phone.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Whoaaaaaaaa... hold on a minute there. you are comparing OnePlus with those phone companies? OnePlus is barely established this year! where HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung had been in the market for 10 years+. the capital is different. you would have to look at the different point of view. at the moment, OnePlus would focus on GSM providers (which is the worldwide standard). you're comparing a market with billions of potential buyer on GSM vs just 200 millions tops on CDMA.

Again the keyword is WORLDWIDE. please remember that. Just because Verizon has the most customers in the US, it doesn't mean it has the most customer in the world. I personally have lived here in the States for 12+ years, and would never consider CDMA service. T-Mobile has been great where I live.

Now if I remember correctly, Verizon Galaxy Nexus was a joke anyway. OTA updates got delayed, bloatwares, etc etc. so I wouldn't even consider Verizon Galaxy Nexus a GPE device; it's just another Samsung Phone.

Thanks for having the patience to state that. Seems obvious but may not be.

The Note III

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Whoaaaaaaaa... hold on a minute there. you are comparing OnePlus with those phone companies?

I'm merely responding to robertopod1968's comment that nobody cares about CDMA. So, I am just wondering if there is a benefit for any company to make a Verizon CDMA phone. If there is no benefit, then I would find it strange why anyone would make a phone for Verizon. Given that several companies make Verizon phones, there must be something worthwhile there.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So, why do companies make phones for Verizon?
Again because they have a lot of customers in the united States where CDMA is still used along with GSM. Same with Sprint. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA,T-Mobile and At&t are GSM

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Again because they have a lot of customers in the united States where CDMA is still used along with GSM.

So, the number of CDMA customers is not insignificant, correct? There's a possibility that anyone who makes a CDMA phone can make a lot of money, right?

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So, the number of CDMA customers is not insignificant, correct? There's a possibility that anyone who makes a CDMA phone can make a lot of money, right?

In the US? Yes I would say there is money to be made selling a CDMA phone. Verizon, Sprint, boost and virgin mobile plus straight talk. Yes it would be worth it

Posted via my OnePlus One

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
In the US? Yes I would say there is money to be made selling a CDMA phone. Verizon, Sprint, boost and virgin mobile plus straight talk. Yes it would be worth it

Hmmm... The US is just part of the global phone market and not hardly the most significant part. ...and CDMA is only part of the US market. So from a global perspective it is prolly not worth it which is why there is currently not a CDMA version. OnePlus needs to get larger before they bother with CDMA. I doubt all CDMA customers would rush to get a OnePlus One.

The Note III

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't agree with that. Android is now the slightly more popular (and affordable) option. 2 of the 3 top companies in America are CDMA and 3 out of 5 as US Cellular is also CDMA. I'm sure OnePlus would like some of those 200,000,000 CDMA customers. But OnePlus sells unlocked global phones in what, 16 countries. With GSM (which BTW stands for Global System for Mobiles) being the standard outside the US it's better for OnePlus to focus on GSM only seeing as they're only making one model right now and selling it in multiple countries and also being a startup. GSM is the law in Europe and other countries outside the US. And the only reason sprint and Verizon are CDMA is because when they switched from analog to digital in the mid 90s (95 and 96 respectively) CDMA was the big thing. I only know this because I worked for MCI at one point, and also at Cingular wireless back in 2003 and Alltel for 4 years before they folded into Verizon. Below is the subscriber number by size

subscriber count in the United States are:

Verizon Wireless: 123.5 million (2014 Q2)
AT&T Mobility: 116.6 million (2014 Q2)
Sprint Corporation: 54.3 million (2014 Q2)
T-Mobile US: 50.5 million (2014 Q2)
U.S. Cellular: 4.65 million (2014 Q2)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Android is definitely the more popular option but I think the US CDMA market is negligible when compared to the global GSM market and OnePlus is focusing there for good reason. How many people that walk into Sprint or Verizon (outside of this readership) will buy a OnePlus One as opposed an LG, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, or Apple device? Some would, of course, but many wouldn't...not yet. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Android is definitely the more popular option but I think the US CDMA market is negligible when compared to the global GSM market and OnePlus is focusing there for good reason. How many people that walk into Sprint or Verizon (outside of this readership) will buy a OnePlus One as opposed an LG, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, or Apple device? Some would, of course, but many wouldn't...not yet. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LG G-PaD??????

I agree with you. CDMA is so 90's technology. Yeah, I went there...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not knocking CDMA for the US. In MY experience it works well but the rest of the world has moved on...perhaps one day, Verizon, Sprint, et. al. will too.

The Note III

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon iPhone for work. Sometimes I travel to Europe for work and we are supposed to get signed up for the international plans etc. I find it so much easier to get a SIM card at the airport and pop it into my nexus 5 or now my 1+1 and not skip a beat.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

Last edited:

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

Given the popularity, price and specs. I think just as many CDMA customers in America would pick this up as GSM. The only reason this is GSM only is it's a company who can't afford to make multiple variants and wants to operate on multiple continents. GSM is only logical. Otherwise Motorola, Samsung, LG etc wouldn't make phones for US CDMA customers. If the profit wasn't there do you think those manufactures would bother making phones just for sprint or Verizon like the droid or EVO series?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Given the popularity, price and specs. I think just as many CDMA customers in America would pick this up as GSM. The only reason this is GSM only is it's a company who can't afford to make multiple variants and wants to operate on multiple continents. GSM is only logical. Otherwise Motorola, Samsung, LG etc wouldn't make phones for US CDMA customers. If the profit wasn't there do you think those manufactures would bother making phones just for sprint or Verizon like the droid or EVO series?

The big players can afford to gamble and dabble. I'm not confident of OnePlus' ability to do that.

The Note III

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer