`OnePlus One phone - 2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER?

TechTube14

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone.

A new company just released a Phone called OnePlus One. They called it the flag ship killer. By that being said they mean that this phone will beat and kill all of the High end smartphones. Watch the video and let me know if this new OnePlus One phone will be the Flagship killer and will it be better than the Nexus 5 and other smartphones?

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Well it depends on what you consider better. As far a specs go the phone is definitely better spec than the nexus 5.. Price point yea its better than most other phones out here, as for the build quality that remains to be felt lol. I think the real question is would you smash your nexus 5 for one of these phones.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
You cant they have a really specific list of phones you can choose from to destroy. I have a 16gb Nexus 5 that I'll smash and then just do an insurance claim no biggie

That's kinda, sorta the definition of insurance fraud. Tread lightly. OnePlus is asking that those videos go on Youtube, if the insurance company ever made a connection betwee the video being posted and the purposeful destruction of the device they could deny the claim and pursue charges.

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
That's kinda, sorta the definition of insurance fraud. Tread lightly. OnePlus is asking that those videos go on Youtube, if the insurance company ever made a connection betwee the video being posted and the purposeful destruction of the device they could deny the claim and pursue charges.

Thanks Alot!!!!!!!!!! I did not even think of it like that you may have just saved me some fines & jail time buddy.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well Android Central has a new OnePlus One forum for more info. I have been over there reading and posting about it. Color me very skeptical that more than few people can get a phone with those specs at only $299, since I think this is just a short time attention getting promotion for marketing. OnePlus has been using social media to get everyone's attention. The only way you can even get on the list to get this phone is to win one of OnePlus contests. Winning the OnePlus smash your smartphone contest (100 winners) give you their One phone for $1 and then 3 invites for friends to buy pone at $299.

OnePlus is a startup founded by former Oppo executive Pete Lau. The One phone is rumored to being manufactured by OPPO which makes no sense to me since Oppo Fine 7 phone that is just now being released is sell at $595 for the same specs as One. Note even Oppo's Find 7a with lower specs is still $495 and just hitting the USA.

I hope this phone at $299 knocks it out of the park and I will buy one. However OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone startup that has never made a phone before that could be out of business if there are big issues or if it doesn't sell well. HTC is losing a lot of money every year selling expensive phones and OnePlus has a very small profit at $299. Something just don't smell right on this deal.

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Many people have already destroyed their phones but didn't get an one of the 100 invites. Even some of the people that got invites destroyed their expensive smartphone only to learn they jumped the gun since the One won't ship till sometime in May.[/url]
Well, on the one hand, this is common sense. Why would you smash your current phone until you at least have a guarantee that your application has been accepted? On the other hand, it is pretty ballsy for OnePlus to demand that you smash your phone - once accepted - BEFORE you can even order your new 1+1. What I am supposed to use in the time between I smash my current device and 1+ sends me my new phone?

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Might catch some heat on this statement, but "Why would anyone smash their flagship device"? You've got to be a complete ***** to do so!".

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Might catch some heat on this statement, but "Why would anyone smash their flagship device"? You've got to be a complete ***** to do so!".

Some of us just want the new tech others are spec heads I happen to be both. As far as the N5 goes it loses on specs vs the OPO in every category. Furthermore If I am guaranteed to get the OPO for $1 and 3 invites I can buy 2 phones and sell them which would be $600 and I would still have the Original OPO that I got for $1. As for the company disappearing into the mist I have the $600 to buy the next Nexus phone and whatever peripherals it will release with.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, on the one hand, this is common sense. Why would you smash your current phone until you at least have a guarantee that your application has been accepted? On the other hand, it is pretty ballsy for OnePlus to demand that you smash your phone - once accepted - BEFORE you can even order your new 1+1. What I am supposed to use in the time between I smash my current device and 1+ sends me my new phone?

I took my post down on this board and moved it over to Android Central's One Plus One forum here because I am having too much fun watching people that can't read destroy their smartphones.

It’s worth noting that only the following smartphones are eligible for the One Plus One phone Smash Your Past program cost a lot more than the One Plus One

Apple: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
BlackBerry: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30
HTC: HTC One (M7), HTC One (M8) HTC One max
LG: LG G2, LG G2 Pro, LG G Flex, LG Nexus 5
Motorola: Motorola Moto X
Nokia: Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia Lumia 920
Samsung: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S 4, Samsung Galaxy S5
Sony: Sony Xperia Z, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia Z Ultra

People on the One Plus One Web page are really ticked off about this contest since they been all pumped up by Social Media marketing for a while. I have never seen a contest that has backfired so bad the whole web site is in meltdown.

Anyone else getting turned off by the marketing campaign and invite system?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Some of us just want the new tech others are spec heads I happen to be both. As far as the N5 goes it loses on specs vs the OPO in every category.
Not quite in every category. The Nexus 5 has USB 3.0 support while the 1+1 has USB 2.0. The Nexus 5 also has better worldwide 3G coverage - it has all the OPO bands plus more, and at home, it has support for Band 2 LTE (T-Mobile's upcoming deployment), although the OPO seems to have overall better global LTE support. And then there is my pet peeve of all pet peeves when it comes to phone, the OPO does not support wireless charging, while the N5 supports the Qi standard.

Overall spec-wise, yes, the OPO is a runaway winner, but it doesn't quite best the N5 in every single category.

TechTube14

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
OnePlus One phone - 2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER? What do you think?

Hello everyone.

A new company just released a Phone called OnePlus One. They called it the flag ship killer. THIS PHONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE KILLER TO EVERY OTHER FLAGSHIP. By that being said they mean that this phone will beat and kill all of the High end smartphones.

WATCH THE VIDEO AND LET ME KNOW IF THIS NEW OnePlus One PHONE WILL BE THE FLAGSHIP KILLER AND WILL IT BE BETTER THAN THE NEXUS 5 AND OTHER SMARTPHONES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6JGVxf4hOeU

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: OnePlus One phone - 2014 FLAGSHIP KILLER? What do you think?

I don't think that the specs are really killing current high end smartphones. Which spec(s) in particular is blowing current smartphones out of the water?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Not quite in every category. The Nexus 5 has USB 3.0 support while the 1+1 has USB 2.0. The Nexus 5 also has better worldwide 3G coverage - it has all the OPO bands plus more, and at home, it has support for Band 2 LTE (T-Mobile's upcoming deployment), although the OPO seems to have overall better global LTE support. And then there is my pet peeve of all pet peeves when it comes to phone, the OPO does not support wireless charging, while the N5 supports the Qi standard.

Overall spec-wise, yes, the OPO is a runaway winner, but it doesn't quite best the N5 in every single category.

You are correct the OPO will only work on AT&T and T-Mobile. Others are also saying the OPO is missing some new radio bans on both T-Mobile and AT&T. This OPO will be made by Oppo and the specs and design are almost identical to the Fine 7 that cost $599 and is just now hitting the market. Don't know how Oppo will sell their new Fine 7 ($599 for 16GB) and Fine 7a ($499 for 16GB) when the OPO is only $299 with the same or better specs. I think OPO is just talking $299 for these contests to keep the Social Media hype rolling and then raise the price to at least $399 when they are in production were anyone one can buy the phone without these marketing contest promotions. No way no how AT&T or even T-Mobile will sell these devices since it would really tick off the major phone MFGs.

Something just doesn't smell right with this OPO and their social media hype and stupid contests. This is how you market vaporware not real solid products that undercut the competition with specs like this. If OPO can sell at this $299 price then why can't Oppo with their Fine 7 ($599) since they are making both phones that are almost identical.

Last edited:

TechTube14

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

whats making this phone so popular is the price. Have you watched the video? I mentioned the things that make this phone , not really a killer, but the things that really make this phone stand out. To be honest, I think that this is a really good high end phone that is equivalent with the smartphones out there like the HTC M8 and the Galaxy S5 but the price is just awesome

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I think OPO is just talking $299 for these contests to keep the Social Media hype rolling and then raise the price to at least $399 when they are in production were anyone one can buy the phone without these marketing contest promotions.
Yikes. If they do that, they are not getting my money.

No way no how AT&T or even T-Mobile will sell these devices since it would really tick off the major phone MFGs.
This wouldn't be so much of a problem if OnePlus could guarantee supplies. As it is, they are short on supply and big on the hype. I'm sure T-Mobile at least would be happy to sell them if it could be guaranteed that the supply would keep coming. This is a problem for a new startup. They are well funded, but they are no Samsung.

Oh, and not to nitpick, but it's the Find 7/a (not Fine). :-D

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I too wonder how well Oppo is going to keep up with supply vs demand on building the OnePlus Ones and also as had been mentioned this phone is most likely a build off of the Find 7, I wonder how they are justifying the pricing on these 2 phones. My opinion is OnePlus is barely making anything on the one to get them out in people's hands.

Posted via Android Central App

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

It's not a flagship killer. It's unique in a way similar to the Nexus 5, but people should really stop calling it that. The specs are top notch, but honestly the phone isn't popular because of the specs, it's because of the price for those specs. Every company likes to talk up their devices cameras as the greatest shooter ever, so we can't be sure on that area until we can test for ourselves. It's pretty reasonable to assume that if nothing else it would beat the Nexus 5 on battery, but we're also at the halfway point between typical Nexus phone releases, so it isn't that much longer until we should start hearing about a Nexus 5 successor, and I suspect most of the specs won't be all that different from the OnePlus except for maybe size, and I don't think they'll cram that large a battery in. I, personally, wouldn't compare it to the M8 or S5 though. Why? Because it's nearly the same size as the Note 3. That's what makes it special. It's like the Nexus 5 for people who want big phones. But people are really overestimating the impact this thing is going to have.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

whats making this phone so popular is the price. Have you watched the video? I mentioned the things that make this phone , not really a killer, but the things that really make this phone stand out. To be honest, I think that this is a really good high end phone that is equivalent with the smartphones out there like the HTC M8 and the Galaxy S5 but the price is just awesome

That is your personal opinion, and that is fine. But imo, that doesn't make it a killer phone. Does it have good specs? Yes. But is it lacking what I need? Yes as well. It has 64gb internal only. On my Note 3 I have 160gb internal plus external. Yes, the Note 3 costs more. But let's be realistic about things for a second. If cost/specs was a main concern then no one would buy iPhones, whose specs pale compare to android. For the best cost/spec ratio before the oneplus one, it would be the nexus series. But how well does the nexus smartphones sell? In online forums you see a lot of people talking about them, but in real life, I have never seen anyone with a nexus 4/5, but a lot of people with S3/S4/N2/N3. And at least, the Nexus has two advantages. Pure android and made by google. And yes, name makes a big difference. Let's say that someone else made the phone identical to the nexus 5, but the company was not a well known name. It would not sell anywhere as well as the Nexus 5, which doesn't sell as well as say the S4 anyway.

Aside from that, it doesn't support Verizon, which the s5//n3/m8 all support. and even though it works on AT&T, it is missing bands 2 and 5 support which at&t uses in limited deployment, and Tmobile will be deploying band 2 lte starting this year. Not to mention, it doesn't have a stylus or removable battery or microsd card. It doesn't support carrier aggregation. So there certainly are things that it is missing that matter to some people. To me, I do not consider it equivalent to a Note 3, for my needs. But if it meets your needs, then great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay