What is the oneplus one going to do to the resale value of current flagship phones?

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Title pretty much says it all. Say I want to sell my S5, G3, or M8. At $299 with better specs new there is no way I would still expect to get $300 + for one of these. I guess the only saving grace is that Verizon will never support the oneplus and with AT&T you have to pull some strings to get lte to work.

Posted via Android Central App

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There is so a big market for the phones you mentioned, even used, there worth more than the OnePlus price.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Title pretty much says it all. Say I want to sell my S5, G3, or M8. At $299 with better specs new there is no way I would still expect to get $300 + for one of these. I guess the only saving grace is that Verizon will never support the oneplus and with AT&T you have to pull some strings to get lte to work.

Yeah. I just don't think there's enough One Pluses in the wild to drive down resale values of competing phones. Maybe once a general release happens but even then it's such a niche-market phone (in part due to their lack of advertising) I doubt it will have a significant impact.

1+1/N5

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Not every buyer is phone savvy. They just want a cheaper secondhand S5 or M8, and most likely have never heard of a OnePlus One.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What's it going to do? Not much. Although I can see some potential impact when trying to sell a phone on a site like this as opposed to other outlets.

Posted via Android Central App, yo.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
As much as what the Nexus did. Nothing. At least in the US, as long as we have the subsidy model.

Even if Samsung and Apple tomorrow beginning to sell their phones unlocked for $400, it'll still do nothing. Everyone is on a 2 years contract and got their phone subsidized.

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It'll do absolutely nothing, their marketing is word of mouth, and when you can't get product info the hands of the consumer, there is no word of mouth.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling that the OnePlus One won't do much to affect the resale value of other phones. It needs to do more business than Samsung before you'll see an effect. OnePlus has a long way to go before that happens.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I hope the OnePlus One is the beginning of a trend of offerings that are based on supply and demand instead of carrier/manufacturer prearranged price points. There have been cheap Asian market knockoffs for years but those have never had modern specs. If I could get something like the Oneplus with 4G speed and no carrier bloat I would probably never buy another subsidized phone again (Verizon/UDP). Of course I have no expectation that a phone like this would ever support Verizons network. I still am watching this phone closely as it's success or failure will be an significant indicator of things to come.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think if One plus One had more brand awareness and worked on more networks it might have an impact, in time. But for now it's still a niche product that appeals to phone geeks like us.

Right now the buzz is more about this weird invite system than the phone itself. If Oppo put it's full resources behind it, instead viewing it a curious experiment then you may have something.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think if One plus One had more brand awareness and worked on more networks it might have an impact, in time. But for now it's still a niche product that appeals to phone geeks like us.

Right now the buzz is more about this weird invite system than the phone itself. If Oppo put it's full resources behind it, instead viewing it a curious experiment then you may have something.

I'd say the invite system is genius. You want customers to feel like they have a premium and exclusive device. If you offered the phone to the masses at that price point it would be a good buy but nobody would ooh and aah over it leaving the impression that it was a low end device (cheap means anybody could have this thing). By making it exclusive it is automatically desirable despite the low cost just for the fact that people want what they can't have. Once a favorable reputation is achieved they just may be able to pull off selling a cheap phone that isn't viewed as crap.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

Another way to look at is that most of the masses don't have the time nor the interest in begging for an invite. If people can't simply go to their site and just order the device then they'll buy something else.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If people can't simply go to their site and just order the device then they'll buy something else.

I would be curious to find out what people end up choosing if they don't buy a OnePlus One. My guess is that they'll go for a Nexus 5, which Google offers at a discount price when compared to other smartphones.

I hope other companies will follow OnePlus' lead and make flagship-level phones at affordable prices without a contract. More competition is the key to drive down hardware prices.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I would be curious to find out what people end up choosing if they don't buy a OnePlus One. My guess is that they'll go for a Nexus 5, which Google offers at a discount price when compared to other smartphones.

I hope other companies will follow OnePlus' lead and make flagship-level phones at affordable prices without a contract. More competition is the key to drive down hardware prices.

Good question, I'm leaning towards the G3 (using a G2 now) but I'm really curious to see what Samsung has up their sleeve with the Note 4.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has a preference. I prefer stock android. I don't like the feel of samsung devices, and please don't bash me, it's just my opinion but I feel their ui looks a little childish. They're pretty slow with updates too imo. Now the OnePlus isn't perfect, but it's just because of call volume, which is fixable and will likely be fixed with an update. Some themes induce bugs but that's on the dev of said themes. So why would someone buy over g3 or s5. Price is one. You're getting same in a lot of areas. Whereas some features on s5 win out, some on the one win out. Like battery, ram and dual led flash. Also our max internal storage is higher at 64gb vs 32 and screen size is bigger on OnePlus. the g3 wins in a lot of areas. But the OnePlus edges it in battery, internal storage, front facing camera and possibly RAM. That's besides the obvious edge which is $$$ and the freedom to be unlocked. So it comes down to your

Posted via my OnePlus One

Last edited:

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything that would make you choose the OnePlus One over an LG G3 or a Samsung Galaxy Note 4?

Well, to get an unlocked device with top ends specs for $300/$350+ tax without signing a contract is a pretty sweet deal. Plus, throw in Cyanogen which is a great move on they're part. Lastly, it's a nice looking phone.

Now, if LG, HTC or Samsung were to sell their flagship phones for that price point? I would probably choose one of those over the One simply because they have the manufacturing and supply chain chops to meet demand.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1