Is the OnePlus One worth paying $500+ for?

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while now and the OnePlus One would be my favorite device to get. However, just like everyone else, I can't seem to get an invite to get one. I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price or should I wait for/get another device (other devices I'm considering besides the OnePlus One are the Nexus 5, Oppo Find 7a, Nokia Lumia 1520, and the Moto X+1, if the leaks are accurate)? $500 is really the most I'm willing to pay for a phone.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a good deal if that's the phone you want/need.

You need to be sure what phone you really need so you won't feel buyer's remorse afterwards.

Sent From Another Galaxy

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while now and the OnePlus One would be my favorite device to get. However, just like everyone else, I can't seem to get an invite to get one.

Well, that solves that problem then, doesn't it?

I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price

That's $200 up from the recommended retail price! That is an obscene rip-off. And obviously not worth it.
At $300 it was/would have been a good deal. At $500 it's obviously not.

or should I wait for/get another device (other devices I'm considering besides the OnePlus One are the Nexus 5, Oppo Find 7a, Nokia Lumia 1520, and the Moto X+1, if the leaks are accurate)? $500 is really the most I'm willing to pay for a phone.

Yes, I suggest you wait for or get another device with better value for the money.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't pay $200 more than the original price. The Nexus 5 is still a great choice :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
moto x+1 doesn't exist yet so the only choice that makes sense IMO is nexus 5.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely agree with Indoler if money is an issue, especially if you can't get an invite.

Sent From Another Galaxy

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If one+ launched this as a 500 buck phone I would say it's worth it. But I wouldn't pay 150-200 over retail price for it. I would wait or buy an n5 plus accessories. But that's just my opinion.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My first thought after reading this is its a clever way to ask for an invite.

My second thought was, no. 500+ is not worth it to buy this phone. It's a stellar phone but not worth paying more than it retails for.

Sent from my OnePlus One

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
This is really two questions. Is the OPO worth $500+? In my opinion, yes, it is every bit as good as phones selling for $600-$700.

Is it worth $150+ premium over retail to buy it without waiting for an invite? That, regardless of the opinions expressed in this forum, is a question that can only be answered by the buyer.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My first thought after reading this is its a clever way to ask for an invite.

My second thought was, no. 500+ is not worth it to buy this phone. It's a stellar phone but not worth paying more than it retails for.

Sent from my OnePlus One
I wish I had an invite, but that's probably not going to happen.
If I can find a 64 GB one for less than $400, that would be great, but if not, what's the second best option? I'm seeing a lot of Nexus 5s here, but while shopping around for OnePlus Ones, I saw that the HTC One M7 and Moto X can be had for under $400 too. Are those worth considering or should I just go for the Nexus 5/OnePlus One if I can find one?

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Somebody already answered your question on where to get one. Swappa has them for around 400. You could also buy an invite off eBay for 25 if you want to buy one straight from Oneplus. There is one for sale on here in the marketplace also.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Somebody already answered your question on where to get one. Swappa has them for around 400. You could also buy an invite off eBay for 25 if you want to buy one straight from Oneplus. There is one for sale on here in the marketplace also.

Yeah, I read it and have checked out Swappa. Thank you to the guy who suggested it.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the swappa route or buy invite. Would be the cheaper of the options. Other than that, the nexus 5 and moto x are great options.

Sent from my OnePlus One

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, swappa. I've used it to buy and sell phones for the past year or so. Very reliable, and the devices are usually in good condition as well.

thehoz

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend not buying one from a retailer other than OnePlus if you live in the US. They sell the Chinese variant not the international variant and the LTE won't work in the US. Buying from oneplus you get the international version.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I have seen ones online at various retailers but they're all very expensive (as you can see from the title, a 64 GB model would cost $500+ including shipping). Is it still worth getting at this price or should I wait for/get another device ...?
As much as I love my OPO, I would in no way pay more for it than retail. I'd go to swappa and buy a used but mint M8 instead with my $500.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae