Thinking about buying a OnePlus One? I wouldn't.

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've had my OnePlus One over a month now, and it's been far from a smooth experience. Everyone praises the specs on the phone at the price point its offered. I'd agree, spec wise, at this price point, it seems like a fantastic phone. However, in execution, it fails to deliver big time.

I'm not going to get into the positives on the phone, everyone's read them and truthfully I'm ready to throw this thing in the trash. Full disclaimer, I've never rooted or installed any ROM/update to my OPO that wasn't pushed directly to the phone. I've factory reset the phone 3 times in 2 weeks and have seen the same problems repeat themselves.

Starting with the hardware, the screen more specifically. It's Gorilla Glass, yet somehow, I've managed to scratch the screen. I never use screen protectors on phones, I don't like the tactile feedback from them. I've been using smart phones since resistive touch screens with styluses and since Windows Mobile, and I've NEVER scratched a screen, ever. Somehow, my OPO screen got scratched and it's never been dropped. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's worth noting given as I've never scratched or cracked a screen.

The GPS is slow to track many times. Using Google Navigation, I'll make the suggested route move, and the GPS thinks I missed the turn and will start recalculating. It corrects itself after it catches up, but it does this quite frequently.

Let's talk about the software, oh the software. The software on this phone is horrendous. It's absolutely positively filled with bugs. It feels like you're using a nightly ROM from your favorite creator. I consistently experience random reboots during phone calls, general usage or just sitting on my desk at work. Apps crash out constantly. I've experienced quite a few problems with Google Maps crashing constantly requiring reboots to get it to work.

The absolute BIGGEST problem I've seen so far is something that many OPO users are experiencing. The phone will NOT make a phone call when connected to an LTE network and not WiFi. It lets you dial, it connects, you hear the person on the other end and within 1-5 seconds of the call, the phone hangs up. It's not a proximity sensor issue, as I can put the phone on the desk on speaker and be no where near it and it will still drop calls. You have to turn off LTE to get the phone to make a call. As someone who uses their phone as a phone for work, this is completely UNACCEPTABLE. The phone is unusable currently on LTE, so in my opinion, it's a worthless paper weight.

In closing, I'll be moving to a Galaxy Note 4 or Nexus 6 shortly. The phone is not working out. I guess it's true what the say, you get what you pay for. With the OPO, you're getting a basket case of a phone that no one wants to say anything negative about.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that sounds disappointing. Thanks for the feedback! Did you ever contact OnePlus for a replacement? Unless of course, that's a whole different saga ...

Ironhead2244

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello I just got done reading your post and just wanted to add my point of view. I've been using the OPO for about 2 months now coming from a nexus 5 and a galaxy s5 previously. I do understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it may differ from mine, which is fine. But to me it sounds more like you have a defective device more then anything else. Which happens all the time with many different manufacturers. Like I stated Ive been using this phone for 2 months now and it is by far the best phone Ive ever used. It runs circles around my Nexus 5 (which it should, it has better specs) but not only that it runs circles around my Galaxy S5 also which has basically the same specs aside from the OPO is a 64gb and 3 gig ram. I use the phone on At&t and have never had a problem making a call on LTE, nor have I heard of this before. I actually think the call quality is excellent. My signal strength was a little better with the S5, which is to be expected from a Samsung device. It was the same story when the S5 was compared to the Nexus 5 also. But other then that no problems what so ever. As far as the screen goes, if you choose not to use a screen protector well then your just asking for scratches. Thats why they make them for that reason, and they are cheap. I spent the extra on the tempered glass one and its amazing. They do not affect the phones operation in any way. Like I said I dont doubt you are having the issues you claim, but I believe you just may have got a bad one. My advice would been to return it, if you were having so many issues as you claim why would you have kept it. Your right to many people do love this phone, its not that they are afraid to say bad about it, but more that there isnt much bad to say about it. You take the price and specs and build quality into consideration honestly I dont think theres a better phone out there. Besides the obvious ofcourse maybe being the Note 4 and Nexus 6. But thats because those are the newest generation. They have the newest screen res and processors, so not a fair comparison. Bottom line this is a excellent phone in my opinion, and many others for that matter. Just my thoughts.

Posted via the Android Central App

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Let me be the first to tell you that I absolutely do NOT want to have to go out and purchase a new phone. This is the cheapest my cell phone bill has ever been ($64 on AT&T) and I can't remember the last time I wasn't on a contract. I certainly don't want to drop $825.99 on a new Galaxy Note 4 if I can avoid it.

I'm trying some new APN setting posted on the OPO forums, I'll see the if the call dropping gets fixed, right now that's urgent as like I said, I use my phone for work.

Ironhead2244

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
May I ask where you are located (what state)? Im in florida and have At&t but have no such issue. My friend also has the same phone on At&t to with no such issues either.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

I don't have any of those issues. I'm sure you'll be happy with the note 4. I connect calls while on LTE on T-Mobile with absolutely no problem. Gotta say though those forums are flooded with people with problems and people who are happy with the phone. Those forums are damn near a joke though. I think you should word your review better though. The software ISN'T horrendous, the GPS isn't horrendous, YOUR EXPERIENCE with it has been horrendous. Again, not everyone has issues. But props for knowing what you want to do and that it's not for you. I'd just sell it and move on

Posted via...The One

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why any one is surprised that OPO phone is not all it is hype up to be. It's made in China, a country that's known for making cheap electronic. Why do you think the Chinese are willing to pay 6 times the sales price for the iPhone? Because it's not made in China. OPO company was brilliant in using the invitation only campagin to sell their phone. By using the invitation, it makes the buyer feel privileged to get the phone, in reality, it's nothing extraordinary. Any time when you get an electronic device, and the warranty repair requires you to send the device back to China for repair, the buyer should be aware.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you had problems. I owned a OPO previously which I bought new. I enjoyed the device and aside afrom a few bug, nothing major, I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good deal, smooth and wicked fast. I sold it to get the Moto X 2014 and returned it for a few things but mainly because of low headset volume and I really wanted 64 GB. Also OTG did not work on my Moto X but my meenova worked perfectly on my OPO.

I tried to get a nexus 6 yesterday and was turned off my google inability to launch a phone...again. Maybe in 2015, I will get one....

But I just bought another OPO on SWAPPA. I have a iphone 6+ and wanted a large android device to go with it. I made sure it had no screen yellow issues or touch issues and was manufactured 9/17. I really enjoyed my OPO and look forward to having one again for a while!

Last edited:

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I never use screen protectors on phones, I don't like the tactile feedback from them.

use tempered glass... you dont notice any differencies...

to rest of your post -> your unit seemed to be "a monday piece". i cant sign any of the issues you mentioned.

about phone calls, happening only in at/t network??

Sent from OPO.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you had problems. I owned a OPO previously which I bought new. I enjoyed the device and aside afrom a few bug, nothing major, I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good deal, smooth and wicked fast. I sold it to get the Moto X 2014 and returned it for a few things but mainly because of low headset volume and I really wanted 64 GB. Also OTG did not work on my Moto X but my meenova worked perfectly on my OPO.

I tried to get a nexus 6 yesterday and was turned off my google inability to launch a phone...again. Maybe in 2015, I will get one....

But I just bought another OPO on SWAPPA. I have a iphone 6+ and wanted a large android device to go with it. I made sure it had no screen yellow issues or touch issues and was manufactured 9/17. I really enjoyed my OPO and look forward to having one again for a while!

I'm kind of thinking of going this route too. What are the odds when the nexus 6 is available you'll have the itch to get it anyway? That's what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Opo. Grrrr phones!!! ( first world problems)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of thinking of going this route too. What are the odds when the nexus 6 is available you'll have the itch to get it anyway? That's what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Opo. Grrrr phones!!! ( first world problems)

I probably will get the Nexus 6, but can sell the OPO for a decent price. Sold one before in minutes. It is a great value. Got the tempered glass protector and have a case coming although the one I bought comes with both.

I want to get the Nexus on my terms and of course wait for actual hand on experiences from users. I can wait till January or so.

Posted via Nexus 5

bacalao

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I have had a great experience with the one plus since June. I came from a nexus 5 too. I put screen protectors on my phones because I scratch the screens on all of them. I have a desk job and I baby my phones. I live in Florida so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyways, I don't experience your problems with data or dropped calls. The only bugs I have found are minor such as occasionally I wake the phone and the lockscreen is unresponsive but simply tapping power button twice and it's back to normal. So maybe you have a defect.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have used a Oneplus-one for a week and I didn't have any of the problems you mentioned... I use a screen protector too so I didn't have to worry about any scratches happening.

Limburgert

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Soo you got a bad device, **** happens and just bad luck! Turn it in for another but just dont say to others don't buy it. I've been enjoying it for two months now and ordered 2 for friends. We all agree it is a great device! One came from iPhone 4 and is never going back to the fruit zombies, one came from a Galaxy Ace and made a jump to a real Android beast, I came from a rooted S3 CyanogenMod, also have a rooted Nexus10 and I'm a bit of a power user. The phone is great, the ROM is fantastic. I'm switching ROMs every few days now, currently running PacManRom. This device can handle all my needs. So yeah people, buy this great device! Some people should never get the power of a true Android device, the dont know how to use it...

Send from mu OnePlus One!

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why any one is surprised that OPO phone is not all it is hype up to be. It's made in China, a country that's known for making cheap electronic. Why do you think the Chinese are willing to pay 6 times the sales price for the iPhone? Because it's not made in China. OPO company was brilliant in using the invitation only campagin to sell their phone. By using the invitation, it makes the buyer feel privileged to get the phone, in reality, it's nothing extraordinary. Any time when you get an electronic device, and the warranty repair requires you to send the device back to China for repair, the buyer should be aware.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Its pretty funny considering all phones are made in China and OPO uses pretty much exactly the same parts as all other phones.

Its a start up company and its their first phone. All phones I have owned had issues and those were from HTC, Google, and LG

Motorola has done invitations too. Invitations and preorders are done to control the sales and QA. Its necessary for a company that's launching new product, especially when its a small company that can't afford to loose millions of dollars

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I honestly haven't had one issue that you've listed.
The only problem that I had that was driving me bonkers was touch screen lag and ghost swipes when using any keyboard. That's been resolved for me in 38r though.
I just started using my OPO again, since I got sidetracked with my iPhone 6 and BB Passport. I love it though, and I can't wait to get my silk white back from China this week (I don't care about no NFC support).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol