I've got an internal debate going on here...

Bresarek96

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
So I saw that the OnePlus one is on sale without an invite this Christmas, and I thought, what a fantastic opportunity. However.... I was considering getting an android wear watch since my AT&T contract is up in spring. I've got the GS4 on 4.4.4 but I'm ready to ditch carrier bloatware and waiting an eternity for updates. Although they're two totally different things, my question is; should I spend my money on a wear watch and continue to deal with AT&T's slow updates or get the OPO and wait on the Wear OS to become a bit more stable? I thought the phone is better because it's probably a once in a life time chance... But is it worth it?
Any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That depends on how whatever carrier you're going to gives you the same coverage you need as AT&T does. If you're planning on staying with AT&T, stay on 4.4.4 until someone comes up with a rooting method for it, root and remove the bloatware.

The One Plus has a non-removable battery - for me that takes it completely off the consideration list. I won't use a device with a non-removable lithium battery (for a number of reasons). I don't care how good and/or how cheap the phone is. I love the M8, but won't even consider it for a free phone and unlimited everything for free.

Bresarek96

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
RE:

Yeah I'm staying on AT&T. I want the OPO mainly because of CM. rooting the AT&T GS4 isn't possible because of the locked bootloader I think (from what I remember reading) what's important for me is no carrier bloat and direct, fast updates from CM. I think between AW and the OPO I'd rather spend my money on the phone because it's a one time opportunity. Android wear can wait and they can make better versions, who knows if I'll ever get a chance to buy the OPO again. It's a debate I have going in my head. Plus, I already had rooted it on 4.4.2 and I couldn't get the OTA's from AT&T because I had deleted the bloatware and the bloat is necessary for it to update... Plus I'm sick of touchwiz, I've only ever had galaxy phones and I'm ready for a change of pace. I was looking at the N6 but again, it will still get held back by AT&T unless I drop 600+ to get it unlocked. Also, I just watched the Android Authority review of it and it DOES have a removable back cover, albeit a bit difficult to remove.

Last edited:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So I saw that the OnePlus one is on sale without an invite this Christmas, and I thought, what a fantastic opportunity. However.... I was considering getting an android wear watch since my AT&T contract is up in spring. I've got the GS4 on 4.4.4 but I'm ready to ditch carrier bloatware and waiting an eternity for updates. Although they're two totally different things, my question is; should I spend my money on a wear watch and continue to deal with AT&T's slow updates or get the OPO and wait on the Wear OS to become a bit more stable? I thought the phone is better because it's probably a once in a life time chance... But is it worth it?

This is the thought process that I live by when it comes to these things:

What do you use more often? The product that you use more often should be the thing that you get. You use your phone for everything (communicating, taking photos, gaming, browsing, etc.). The Wear watch, on the other hand, is more of a novelty. Be satisfied with your phone first, and if you have money to spare, consider investing in a Wear watch.

Of course, neither is a necessity. One is, however, more necessary (or at least ubiquitous) than the other. You are not happy with your current phone, and the phone is something you need, use, and rely upon more often. Thus, you should get a new phone that'll make you happy.

Just my 2 Cents.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

The OnePlus One is an awesome phone. I am on AT&T and getting rid of their bloat is nice. Their AT&T hotspot you are forced to turn off WIFI in order to get off of probably pissed me off the most. I was in a hotel once next to a Starbucks and since I could not get off the SLOW hotspot at Starbucks I was forced to use my data instead of Hotel WIFI. Anyway my vote is to lose the bloat first. Next gen Wear will be better anyway. I'm waiting doe NFC to be in the Wear watches before I get one.

Bresarek96

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I've also heard something about a bug with the screens on the OPOs... Something about yellow lines? Has that been fixed? I've also heard about the call volume being very quiet. Have both of those been fixed by now?

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've also heard something about a bug with the screens on the OPOs... Something about yellow lines? Has that been fixed? I've also heard about the call volume being very quiet. Have both of those been fixed by now?
Just got mine from the Black Friday sale. No yellow lines and the call volume has been fine so far. I think the call volume was fixed with a software update a while back.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Generally speaking, how long did orders take to arrive? I ordered when it was invite-less for the Xmas holidays. Got an email confirmation, but so far, nothing on shipment.

Will it take weeks? The website promised people who ordered during the Xmas promo would get it before Dec 25th...

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, how long did orders take to arrive? I ordered when it was invite-less for the Xmas holidays. Got an email confirmation, but so far, nothing on shipment.

Will it take weeks? The website promised people who ordered during the Xmas promo would get it before Dec 25th...

Couldn't answer that one. Used a invite for mines and it shipped 5 days later. I would reach out to their staff.

Posted via...The One

Bresarek96

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's already too late, the sale is over and it's back to invite only so I'm out of luck unless I get an invite or I win a contest. But thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781