Driving Me Nuts!

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I am on AT&T. I was using an HTC one M7, and I had a problem with the WiFi. The phone would always try to connect to an open WiFi. This would not be a problem, except when a password or sign in was required, no connection was actually made. When this happened, I had no LTE or Wifi connection, and my push notifications would all stop because there was no internet connection. When I manually turned off WiFi, LTE would now start to work. However, a few minutes later, the WiFi would try to connect again, and I ounce again lost the internet connection. I never found a way to stop the WiFi from trying to connect to bad WiFi networks. I thought it was because of some At&T bloatware that I could not uninstall. So when I got the opo, I thought this would not be a problem anymore - WRONG! It does exactly the same thing. Is this the sim card that is doing that? How do I prevent the WiFi from connecting on it's own. Of course I turned it off in the settings - that does not work. This is driving me nuts!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Turn off constantly scanning in the WiFi settings. Also there's a setting to avoid weak connections. I'll post a screenshot if I can find it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In the WiFi settings tap the menu button and tap advanced and you'll see these options.
6d91363ce2ebc1ed954c297f489fc616.jpg

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
After some testing, it seems that I can now keep the WiFi from coming on if I have the "Scanning Always Available" box unchecked. However, that really does not solve the root problem. I seems that Android is not smart enough to use the good signal (WiFi or LTE) to maintain an internet connection. If WiFi is connected, but not functional (log in needed), LTE will not work. Very annoying...

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you check Avoid Poor Connections?

Yes, that box is checked. I walked all around my neighborhood and watched the phone. That will only avoid weak WiFi signals, not the ones that are not logged on. The ? always appears in the notifications and asks me to log on. BTW, I was surprised that almost every house had an Xfinity WiFi signal coming from it. As you know, Comcast uses home routers to broadcast public WiFi signals you can log on to. It just blows me away that nobody ever complains about this problem on forums. Am I the only one?

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean public WiFi connections? I always see private ones when I look for my router on the list. That is very weird if so.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean public WiFi connections? I always see private ones when I look for my router on the list. That is very weird if so.

All Comcast routers have two WiFi signals - one is your private one, and one is for public use. If you have a Comcast account, you can use all the public (Xfinity) WiFi connections in peoples homes for free (millions of them potentially). All you have to do is log in with your Comcast password. That is why as I walk down my street, I am connecting to all the individual routers in peoples homes for free.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams