Google card blocking Google search bar on home screen

kauaison

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
While playing a game the ui crashed, I now have a Google card below the notifaction bar. Reboots and its still there. It is not selectable, cannot drag or move it. If I click it it takes me to the Google card screen with the search bar atop. Only way I got it to disappear was to change the home to Google plus.. Anyone get this? I'm on the latest lollipop using trebuchet.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You could try clearing cache for the Google app and Google Now launcher in settings - apps - all tab and then reboot your phone.

pragmatica

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening to me today (10/13/2015) as well. Clearing caches and restarting didn't change it.

Earlier today I was trying a bunch of things to solve the battery-draining wakelock problem without having to root my phone, including turning off stuff in Privacy Guard for Google Play Services, which caused Google Play Services to start crashing constantly even when I turned everything in Privacy Guard back to its original settings.

I was messing around in the OS so much that I assumed I screwed something up when the Now card appeared in place of the search bar, so I feel better that someone else is having the same stupid problem. (Also, I didn't even fix the wakelock problem, so now I'm just hating the phone.)

pragmatica

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
OK, I made the problem go away. Inexplicably, the Trebuchet launcher, for some reason, has started showing whatever is on top in Google Now instead of the search bar. To make it go away, I installed and enabled the Google Now launcher. This brought back the search bar but loses all the folder organization that I set up in Trebuchet, which is a giant pain. If you find a solution in which you keep Trebuchet, please let me know. Except for the annoyance factor of switching launchers, Google Now doesn't seem to be causing any problems...yet.

AyuShrivastava

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the Same issue...... Google now launcher fixes the issue.... But no fix found if u want to keep the trebuchet launcher

Posted via the Android Central App

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
After a Google update, I have the same thing: the top card from Google now has replaced the Google Search bar. It's ugly and I hate it. When you hold down a blank space on the home screen, your home screen options (like widgets, etc) pop up. Hit the upward pointing triangle: the menu comes up and allows you take take Search off of the home screens. The card is gone, but your Google search bar is gone also. I don't like this solution, but it does take that ugly rectangular card off of your home screens. Anyone else have a fix for this?

jhgancen

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I signed up just to add my "me too" to this. The problem just started for me today. Attached below is what it looks like.

I ended up removing the search bar in the Trebuchet launcher settings and adding the Google search bar widget to one of my launcher screens.

I see that I got a Google App update last night; maybe something in the update isn't playing nice with Trebuchet. Unfortunately, I think it (Trebuchet) ships with Cyanogen, so we would need a system update to get it fixed.

Joe

CSCmtzwWoAABfRv.jpg

Big Mack

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Try settings /apps / google app / uninstall updates. Then reboot your phone. This will return you to an earlier version of the app that should not display the same problem.

Phartcarlen

May 19, 2016
Visit site
While playing a game the ui crashed, I now have a Google card below the notifaction bar. Reboots and its still there. It is not selectable, cannot drag or move it. If I click it it takes me to the Google card screen with the search bar atop. Only way I got it to disappear was to change the home to Google plus.. Anyone get this? I'm on the latest lollipop using trebuchet.