Thinking of buying 1+1...

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a Galaxy S6 Edge that is simply ATROCIOUS in regards to battery life. I'm thinking of picking up an OnePlus One to have another phone option (and get away from TouchWiz) and I have a few questions.

1- How good is the battery life?? I have heard good things but I want to be sure it is solid- especially as the phone doesn't have quick charging.

2- How is performance on Marshmallow? My S6 Edge is snappier on 6.0.1 vs 5.1.1, and I know the One launched with 4.4, so it's been through a few updates.

3- How long will this phone be supported for? Is OnePlus planning on giving this phone the Android N update?

4- Finally, benefits/differences of Cyanogen OS?

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
A combination of battery life + Samsung's software... I took my phone off the charger at 100% 8AM yesterday, and it was completely dead at 2PM. Samsung's software is cluttered and glitchy- lots of widgets don't work & the phone stutters more than it should, plus RAM management is questionable. I'm planning on still keeping my S6 edge, but I want a phone that can actually last a day of use and has clean, smooth software (and one that is relatively inexpensive). The OPO seems to be a good fit for that criteria. My absolute main desire is for good battery life.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend checking out the Nexus 5X as an alternative, or the iPhone SE. I can't recommend the OnePlus One to anyone, but depending on a variety of things, the Moto G, Nexus 5X and a few others are going to stand out as low cost winners over both the OnePlus One and S6.

dquibs

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5X is more expensive than the OPO, and as far as I know it's battery life is nothing remarkable. I like the 5X a lot, it just doesn't seem to fit MY needs as much as I'd like. Same goes for the iPhone SE. I'm curious, why do you not recommend the OPO?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
why do you not recommend the OPO?
Well, it is nearly a full two years old at this point. And you can buy phones with better specs (and that aren't even close to their end of life) for not much more $$. And the 1+1 was always kind of a gamble. If you got a good one, you were golden; but if you got one that fell through any number of the quality control cracks that the 1+1 was notorious for for at least the first year of its life, you could end up out of phone and out whatever you ponied up for it.

That said, the one I have still looks good and seems plenty speedy on Cyanogen 13, 801 processor and all. I just never warmed up to it myself, and Oneplus the company eventually seemed more annoying than innovative to me (and they still do). Given that the phone is approaching its 2nd birthday, though, you might get better answers to your questions about it on the Oneplus forums than here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, why do you not recommend the OPO?

The OPO had a bunch of quality control issues, has dubious (at best) software and is just well behind other comparable devices from the same period, let alone newer devices. Most midrange devices are better and that's especially true with the Nexus line, where you get better software, better support, much better security and an all around more polished device, even with the 5X. 5X beats the S6 in battery life, it seems to be very similar to the S7 but behind the S7 Edge. If that's not your cup of tea, I guess I'd just recommend taking a look at some more reputable and more recent devices.

lumarama

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Well, it is nearly a full two years old at this point. And you can buy phones with better specs (and that aren't even close to their end of life) for not much more $$. And the 1+1 was always kind of a gamble. If you got a good one, you were golden; but if you got one that fell through any number of the quality control cracks that the 1+1 was notorious for for at least the first year of its life, you could end up out of phone and out whatever you ponied up for it.

That said, the one I have still looks good and seems plenty speedy on Cyanogen 13, 801 processor and all. I just never warmed up to it myself, and Oneplus the company eventually seemed more annoying than innovative to me (and they still do). Given that the phone is approaching its 2nd birthday, though, you might get better answers to your questions about it on the Oneplus forums than here.
I have OPO now and thinking about upgrading to something fresh. But still can't find any good alternative. My criteria >=5.5'' screen, no hardware buttons on the front panel (only capacitive - that is why I don't like Oneplus 2). SW close to vanilla Android. Also I don't like software buttons of Nexus phones - since they steal the real estate of your screen. Any advice?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have OPO now and thinking about upgrading to something fresh. But still can't find any good alternative. My criteria >=5.5'' screen, no hardware buttons on the front panel (only capacitive - that is why I don't like Oneplus 2). SW close to vanilla Android. Also I don't like software buttons of Nexus phones - since they steal the real estate of your screen. Any advice?
Asus Zenfone 2 is the only one that comes to mind but it's not a flagship. Prior to that it's like the 1st gen droid turbo, I can't think of any modern devices that go capacitive without a physical home button. Most OEMs are all in with hardware buttons including a front fingerprint scanner/home button or software keys. I personally won't buy a device that doesn't use software keys, so it's possible there are devices out there that might work that I just dismiss out of hand.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I own a One+ since the very beginning and I see no reason at all to change it. It's still very fast, and when I say very fast, I mean it never ever lags no matter what I launch. It has 3GB RAM which is "now" a standard, and 64GB to fill up with movies/pictures/... A great display, very sharp. The reception is very very good. And more important to me, the battery life is awesome: I send lots of text messages during the day, so the phone is on and off and on and off, I surf quite a bit as well, I watch some youtube videos, and I still have more than 30% at the end of the day. And the charging time is quite fast, so...
Really, I see no reason to change now.
So yes, I would say: not a bad idea to get a One+ even now :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay