12-29-2011 12:17 PM
476 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Will we have to wipe everything and flash all over again? or how should we go about this.
    You shouldn't need to. Try it and let me know. Just nandroid first. I always wipe before instal of even updates, but it may not be necessary.
    07-15-2011 03:36 PM
    Just got done deleting out the crap I didn't want in it, live wallpaper packs and such, backing up and then flashing, will report in a minute.

Ok so everything seems to be working still. I flashed the update. I had to go back in and reflash the s to ov file along with any programs I may have installed through recovery ie. Toggle2g. if you use link2sd you have to rebuild the script when you open it but then everything is back where it should be. That is why I don't link my link2sd program to the card and I leave it on the phone. I'll report it if anything else is changed.

Ok after reflashing the s to ov file it says sprint again everywhere it's supposed to say virgin mobile. Also if your charger is connected and you're on the lock screen it says "connect your charger (%d%%) even though my phone is plugged into the charger and at like 90%. I'll test mms and calls to see if those still work.

Doing a clean wipe and flash, I'll see if things work doing it that way. Flashing the update over the current rom doesn't work.
    Clean flash fixes the virgin mobile not showing up. I can't even send an mms now so not sure if that's something with the rom or vm mms is down again. Anybody else want to test their mms? Also when I go into the market it auto minimizes immediately so can't actually do anything with it. I'll test some more.

Installed the new market apk and now it tells me I have to authenticate my gmail account even though it is added and syncing. Weird mess of issues that will push me back into my "everything I use works" nandroid lol.
    07-15-2011 03:37 PM
    I added a bloat remover zip to the first post. This should make this rom about the same size as aosp's CM7. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I didn't get any sort of bootloops or FC's after I tried it. I'm not sure about the exact amount of space it'll add, but it should be worthwhile.

I just saw the update, let me see what changed and I'll report back.
    07-15-2011 04:10 PM
    I added a bloat remover zip to the first post. This should make this rom about the same size as aosp's CM7. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I didn't get any sort of bootloops or FC's after I tried it. I'm not sure about the exact amount of space it'll add, but it should be worthwhile.

I just saw the update, let me see what changed and I'll report back.
    I'll watch for your response to see if you have better results with it than I did. I'm hoping you do although Ath3nos doesn't seem to know exactly what changed in the update lol. Waiting...

MMS does work.
    Did a reboot and mms kicked in.
    Sync still isnt working for me and so it also won't let me use the market.
    Camera still works, both auto focus and zoom. (still think it's plenty weird that x2 and x4 zoom give a green line and x1 and x3 don't)
    07-15-2011 04:24 PM
    About the 07/15 update:

I still haven't flashed this.

Obviously, some framework files were changed. Some of the binaries were updated. Camera and audio drivers were tweaked.

What's really strange is this will absolutely break MMS....for Sprint users. For some reason, the apns-conf.xml file has been changed to T-mobile's MMS servers. I replace this file for the Sprint to OV so this should not effect us.

You can go ahead and try this. You should wipe before flashing it because the system apps have been changed too. Anything that breaks from the previous version should not be the fault of the Sprint to OV conversion as far as I can tell. MMS should still work.
    07-15-2011 04:42 PM
    About the 07/15 update:

I still haven't flashed this.

Obviously, some framework files were changed. Some of the binaries were updated. Camera and audio drivers were tweaked.

What's really strange is this will absolutely break MMS....for Sprint users. For some reason, the apns-conf.xml file has been changed to T-mobile's MMS servers. I replace this file for the Sprint to OV so this should not effect us.

You can go ahead and try this. You should wipe before flashing it because the system apps have been changed too. Anything that breaks from the previous version should not be the fault of the Sprint to OV conversion as far as I can tell. MMS should still work.
    Flashing over the previous version breaks everything lol.
    Flashed a clean one, mms and camera still work perfect.
    Sync isn't working for me but going to do a full clean flash again and see if it does it again.
    07-15-2011 04:44 PM
    Does your bloat remover put it back to the gray android boot animation? Says it removes boot animation...everyone says they like this one that comes with the rom lol. :P
    07-15-2011 04:47 PM
    Does your bloat remover put it back to the gray android boot animation? Says it removes boot animation...everyone says they like this one that comes with the rom lol. :P
    You can restore it easy enough if you want. Extract it from the rom zip and throw it onto your phone.

After doing a clean install of the newest release plus the bloat remover I have 176 megs free on internal storage.
    07-15-2011 05:02 PM
    You can restore it easy enough if you want. Extract it from the rom zip and throw it onto your phone.

After doing a clean install of the newest release plus the bloat remover I have 176 megs free on internal storage.
    Nice man. I tried your bloat remover vs my going in and removing the crap I don't like pre-install. I'm going to do mine again and see what my space available is vs the bloat remover.

Do you happen to know what the sys apk is that runs the news and weather? I can't seem to find that apk and it's the only thing I can't find to remove that I want to dump.
    07-15-2011 05:05 PM
    Nice man. I tried your bloat remover vs my going in and removing the crap I don't like pre-install. I'm going to do mine again and see what my space available is vs the bloat remover.

Do you happen to know what the sys apk is that runs the news and weather? I can't seem to find that apk and it's the only thing I can't find to remove that I want to dump.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GenieWidget.apk. It comes with Gapps.
    07-15-2011 05:15 PM
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GenieWidget.apk. It comes with Gapps.
    I just freeze it so it isn't TOO big of a deal really.

Those two rom downloads are the same name and exact same size. Are we sure they aren't the same file and he just updated both spots but not the file name?
    07-15-2011 05:18 PM
    I just freeze it so it isn't TOO big of a deal really.

Those two rom downloads are the same name and exact same size. Are we sure they aren't the same file and he just updated both spots but not the file name?
    They are different. It's silly that they are named the same, but I didn't make them. The size being the same is a coincidence.
    Kreatur3 likes this.
    07-15-2011 05:27 PM
    The extra language stuff. Are those the other files in the system\tts\lang_pico\ folder or are they located somewhere else? I want to remove them from the rom install if they take up much space and I can do it that way? I assume I can remove all but one of the ringtones? My speaker doesn't work so I obviously don't need those either lol.

Also deleted all but one alarm file and all but one notification file. Just left one in each in case you had to have one in there...sometimes systems don't like empty folders that used to house files.
    07-15-2011 05:40 PM
    The extra language stuff. Are those the other files in the system\tts\lang_pico\ folder or are they located somewhere else? I want to remove them from the rom install if they take up much space and I can do it that way? I assume I can remove all but one of the ringtones? My speaker doesn't work so I obviously don't need those either lol.

Also deleted all but one alarm file and all but one notification file. Just left one in each in case you had to have one in there...sometimes systems don't like empty folders that used to house files.
    Your speakerphone speaker doesn't work? Did you blow it or is it a bug with the rom? You can remove all of the ringtones if you want....I think.

The extra language stuff is also in the LatinIME.apk. It is originally 11megs, and I replaced it with a 2 meg file.
    07-15-2011 05:45 PM
    kreatur3 - i see u say u delete the apks u don't want before flashing the rom - do you have to modify anything like build.prop after u do this? when i delete stuff i error out in recovery installation.
    07-15-2011 05:50 PM
    Your speakerphone speaker doesn't work? Did you blow it or is it a bug with the rom? You can remove all of the ringtones if you want....I think.

The extra language stuff is also in the LatinIME.apk. It is originally 11megs, and I replaced it with a 2 meg file.
    LOL I just removed the extra language files out of the tts folder, I'll have to redo my edited rom and replace it with your latinme.apk. I assume I can just open up your bloat remover? grab it and slide it in over the one there is in there by default.

My speaker issue is weird. It stopped working after I flashed the Zefie rom a few weeks after I got my phone. Flashing all sorts of stuff didn't fix it but one day it just came back on when it was in my pocket and I forgot to turn Pandora off. much to my surprise when I started hearing music out of my pocket! It has come and gone a few times since they but I don't really even notice it anymore lol.
    07-15-2011 05:51 PM
    kreatur3 - i see u say u delete the apks u don't want before flashing the rom - do you have to modify anything like build.prop after u do this? when i delete stuff i error out in recovery installation.
    Well it's pretty obvious which ones you shouldn't delete however you can delete the other crap. The reason you error out in installation is because it isn't signed anymore. Just turn off the signature verification on that install zip screen and it will go just fine.

Mmarz, doing my own "bloat remover" I have the exact same 176 of 179 free. Guess I won't worry about the language files in the latinme.apk after all.

Can I edit the gapps flash file without messing it up? I want to stop it from putting in talk and genie widget lol

One more noob question. I don't want to flood the thread with new posts...
    can I just copy the files from gapps to my rom installs system\app folder or will that create problems?
    arhtard likes this.
    07-15-2011 05:54 PM
    You can merge gapps with the rom. The only reason they are separate is Google being all corporate about it.

If you have even the most simple soldering iron, you can replace the speaker phone speaker. That might fix the problem. PM me if you want it, and I can send you a speaker.
    07-15-2011 06:22 PM
    You can merge gapps with the rom. The only reason they are separate is Google being all corporate about it.

If you have even the most simple soldering iron, you can replace the speaker phone speaker. That might fix the problem. PM me if you want it, and I can send you a speaker.
    I avoided merging the gapps file. Wasn't sure if I should merge different documents with different sizes or use one or the other. I just went into system\app and deleted talk.apk and geniewidget.apk. Also used your latinme.apk but my space is still at 176, i guess there is no getting it less than that lol.
    07-15-2011 06:30 PM
    If you use root toolbox, it will list all of the system apps and you can delete them from there, it even gives you the option to back them up first
    07-15-2011 06:48 PM
    If you use root toolbox, it will list all of the system apps and you can delete them from there, it even gives you the option to back them up first
    Yeah, I used to use system app remover. It had an option called "assist" and would tell you which were dangerous, questionable, or safe to remove. Now, when I first download a rom, I take a min out of my day before flashing it to remove all the garbage because then it's just done. Plus it's easier to do things like replace the latinme.apk with the one mmarz has or to delete the extra language files out of tts. Really just, overall, faster and more efficient to me. Plus I like to play with what I can and cannot remove and it's nicer for me to do it all pre-install than while I'm running my phone.
    07-15-2011 06:57 PM
    Ok, just to make sure... when flashing the update, do I reflash all of the other zip files too? And what order do they need to be flashed. Also, do I flash your bloat remover last?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    07-15-2011 07:35 PM
    Ok, just to make sure... when flashing the update, do I reflash all of the other zip files too? And what order do they need to be flashed. Also, do I flash your bloat remover last?

Do a clean install of the new one or you will mess things up.

Flash the rom.
    gapps.
    sprint to ov

not sure on the bloat, dont think it matters where you flash that, meaning before or after the sprint to ov.
    07-15-2011 07:48 PM
    Do a clean install of the new one or you will mess things up.

Flash the rom.
    gapps.
    sprint to ov

not sure on the bloat, dont think it matters where you flash that, meaning before or after the sprint to ov.
    K thanks. And is everything still working after the update? I didn't see anything bug wise, but I think its always good to ask.

07-15-2011 08:12 PM
    K thanks. And is everything still working after the update? I didn't see anything bug wise, but I think its always good to ask.

I just update the Sprint to OV zip to have a matching Settings.apk. I don't think it'll matter too much, but yes, everything seems to be working still, even with the older Sprint to OV zip.

Edit: Updated one last time to add Phone.apk to get rid of the last bit of "Sprint" branding.
    07-15-2011 08:36 PM
476 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD