ARCHIVED: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread) 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread)

What does sending an mms message have to do with being able to send sms longer than 160 characters? Not being a smartass I am genuinely curious.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Do this:

Open Messaging, Push Menu button, Select Settings, Check "SMS split" and "Split counter" to auto-split messages over 160 characters.

itsnotadam

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

What does sending an mms message have to do with being able to send sms longer than 160 characters? Not being a smartass I am genuinely curious.

I think its because (from what I've experienced), if you try to send an extremely long text, it gets converted into an MMS... although this used to happen to me with GOsms, idk if its the same issue with the stock messenger app.

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Just tested and sent and received MMS with no problems. The 160 character limit is on all CDMA phones. You can go into the messaging app setting and tell it to split messages over 160 characters.

krowley3

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

*This was all tested using the stock messaging app. I also use SMS popup which also has the option to split messages with over 160 characters for quick replies.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Added tips and tricks from Zefie's CM7 to the first post, they should all apply to this rom too.

Just did an overnight test on my wifi only bad esn phone, 12 hours and battery is at 93%. Looks like this will be on par with the Froyo rom battery lives.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Is this still a [WIP] or could u say ur in BETA now?

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

160+ character texts are suppose to send regardless of it being 160+ characters. Yes I know I can split it thank you. But whats suppose to happen is I should be able to send the text and by the time it reaches the other phone it should split it self like it use to on every ROM that I ran before. It was like this on AOSP before they fixed MMS. What happens when I try to send a text longer than 160 characters is it just instantly says it failed or couldn't send.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Is this still a [WIP] or could u say ur in BETA now?

I can't say anything because I'm not developing the rom itself, just the port from S to V. :D

From the few issues that still exist, this feels like a beta. I haven't had any FC'es. I can use all of the phone's features.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

160+ character texts are suppose to send regardless of it being 160+ characters. Yes I know I can split it thank you. But whats suppose to happen is I should be able to send the text and by the time it reaches the other phone it should split it self like it use to on every ROM that I ran before. It was like this on AOSP before they fixed MMS. What happens when I try to send a text longer than 160 characters is it just instantly says it failed or couldn't send.

I added this to the list of known issues. I can't fix this, but it'll at least let other know. You should also check the S thread for updates and the bugs that they report.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I was just referring to the effort of porting it. The ROM itself I understand ur not deving for.

P.S. thanks for offering choices.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I was just referring to the effort of porting it. The ROM itself I understand ur not deving for.

P.S. thanks for offering choices.

It that case, the port is 99% complete IMO. I'm still testing some stuff to see if I should replace other apk files besides mms, but they seem to all work as is. There are only a few places that "Sprint" pops up. It might not be worth the effort if it breaks other things.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Call settings is the only place, so far, I have seen it still saying Sprint. I really don't care though as it doesn't effect my phone usage.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

By default the split messages is turned on on most roms, including stock.
So no it doesnt split it once the person receives it. The system will not send a message over 160 characters. This rom is the first one where I had to go and manually change it in the stock mms settings.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Wifi Issue.

I am using Ath3nos ROM with his included kernel and wifi works great. If I flash Aosps kernel it will no longer connect. Anyone else having this problem? I grabbed the aosp kernel from the thread with all the kernels we have...I assume that there isn't a different version floating around I should use.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Wifi Issue.

I am using Ath3nos ROM with his included kernel and wifi works great. If I flash Aosps kernel it will no longer connect. Anyone else having this problem? I grabbed the aosp kernel from the thread with all the kernels we have...I assume that there isn't a different version floating around I should use.

You have mentioned the wifi issue several times.
Is there a reason for just not using the included kernel?

I also dont think it is a bug with the rom as much as the kernel.
I would go out on a limb and say its built around the asop rom itself and any modifications to the asop rom or using on another rom makes it wonky.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Wifi Issue.

using a different kernel often blocks loading modules compiled for the default kernel.
you'll have to extract the problematic modules from the aosp rom and put them into the rom you're using.
the modules are named *.ko, you will have to search out where they are located and which you need to copy over. maybe in /system/lib? good luck.

Reactions: Kreatur3

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

using a different kernel often blocks loading modules compiled for the default kernel.
you'll have to extract the problematic modules from the aosp rom and put them into the rom you're using.
the modules are named *.ko, you will have to search out where they are located and which you need to copy over. maybe in /system/lib? good luck.

Those are already included with the kernel zips I made. I don't know why the wifi dies with the aosp kernel. I think if we changed it to an anykernel install, it might work. I'm not sure why you would want to at this point. The battery life is great with the default kernel.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

When trying to use the camera via the hard key. It reboots the phone.
Im using the old keyswap and s to v zips.

Button remapper doesnt show a power key bound to it.
Ill check and see if its just the camera causing a hard boot.

ETA

Ok so its caused by the app lge camera.
Uninstalling and reinstalling. hoping that fixes it.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

When trying to use the camera via the hard key. It reboots the phone.
Im using the old keyswap and s to v zips.

Button remapper doesnt show a power key bound to it.
Ill check and see if its just the camera causing a hard boot.

That is usually a sign you are overclocking too high. Try setting the max to 600 and see if it does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.