ARCHIVED: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread) 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM-ish] OV Port of ath3nos's Unofficial CM7 (Gingerbread)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the GenieWidget.apk. It comes with Gapps.

I just freeze it so it isn't TOO big of a deal really.

Those two rom downloads are the same name and exact same size. Are we sure they aren't the same file and he just updated both spots but not the file name?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I just freeze it so it isn't TOO big of a deal really.

Those two rom downloads are the same name and exact same size. Are we sure they aren't the same file and he just updated both spots but not the file name?

They are different. It's silly that they are named the same, but I didn't make them. The size being the same is a coincidence.

Reactions: Kreatur3

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

The extra language stuff. Are those the other files in the system\tts\lang_pico\ folder or are they located somewhere else? I want to remove them from the rom install if they take up much space and I can do it that way? I assume I can remove all but one of the ringtones? My speaker doesn't work so I obviously don't need those either lol.

Also deleted all but one alarm file and all but one notification file. Just left one in each in case you had to have one in there...sometimes systems don't like empty folders that used to house files.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

The extra language stuff. Are those the other files in the system\tts\lang_pico\ folder or are they located somewhere else? I want to remove them from the rom install if they take up much space and I can do it that way? I assume I can remove all but one of the ringtones? My speaker doesn't work so I obviously don't need those either lol.

Also deleted all but one alarm file and all but one notification file. Just left one in each in case you had to have one in there...sometimes systems don't like empty folders that used to house files.

Your speakerphone speaker doesn't work? Did you blow it or is it a bug with the rom? You can remove all of the ringtones if you want....I think.

The extra language stuff is also in the LatinIME.apk. It is originally 11megs, and I replaced it with a 2 meg file.

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

kreatur3 - i see u say u delete the apks u don't want before flashing the rom - do you have to modify anything like build.prop after u do this? when i delete stuff i error out in recovery installation.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Your speakerphone speaker doesn't work? Did you blow it or is it a bug with the rom? You can remove all of the ringtones if you want....I think.

The extra language stuff is also in the LatinIME.apk. It is originally 11megs, and I replaced it with a 2 meg file.

LOL I just removed the extra language files out of the tts folder, I'll have to redo my edited rom and replace it with your latinme.apk. I assume I can just open up your bloat remover? grab it and slide it in over the one there is in there by default.

My speaker issue is weird. It stopped working after I flashed the Zefie rom a few weeks after I got my phone. Flashing all sorts of stuff didn't fix it but one day it just came back on when it was in my pocket and I forgot to turn Pandora off. much to my surprise when I started hearing music out of my pocket! It has come and gone a few times since they but I don't really even notice it anymore lol.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

kreatur3 - i see u say u delete the apks u don't want before flashing the rom - do you have to modify anything like build.prop after u do this? when i delete stuff i error out in recovery installation.

Well it's pretty obvious which ones you shouldn't delete however you can delete the other crap. The reason you error out in installation is because it isn't signed anymore. Just turn off the signature verification on that install zip screen and it will go just fine.

Mmarz, doing my own "bloat remover" I have the exact same 176 of 179 free. Guess I won't worry about the language files in the latinme.apk after all. :)

Can I edit the gapps flash file without messing it up? I want to stop it from putting in talk and genie widget lol

One more noob question. I don't want to flood the thread with new posts...
can I just copy the files from gapps to my rom installs system\app folder or will that create problems?

Reactions: arhtard

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

You can merge gapps with the rom. The only reason they are separate is Google being all corporate about it.

If you have even the most simple soldering iron, you can replace the speaker phone speaker. That might fix the problem. PM me if you want it, and I can send you a speaker.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

You can merge gapps with the rom. The only reason they are separate is Google being all corporate about it.

If you have even the most simple soldering iron, you can replace the speaker phone speaker. That might fix the problem. PM me if you want it, and I can send you a speaker.

I avoided merging the gapps file. Wasn't sure if I should merge different documents with different sizes or use one or the other. I just went into system\app and deleted talk.apk and geniewidget.apk. Also used your latinme.apk but my space is still at 176, i guess there is no getting it less than that lol.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

If you use root toolbox, it will list all of the system apps and you can delete them from there, it even gives you the option to back them up first

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

If you use root toolbox, it will list all of the system apps and you can delete them from there, it even gives you the option to back them up first

Yeah, I used to use system app remover. It had an option called "assist" and would tell you which were dangerous, questionable, or safe to remove. Now, when I first download a rom, I take a min out of my day before flashing it to remove all the garbage because then it's just done. Plus it's easier to do things like replace the latinme.apk with the one mmarz has or to delete the extra language files out of tts. Really just, overall, faster and more efficient to me. Plus I like to play with what I can and cannot remove and it's nicer for me to do it all pre-install than while I'm running my phone. :)

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just to make sure... when flashing the update, do I reflash all of the other zip files too? And what order do they need to be flashed. Also, do I flash your bloat remover last?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Ok, just to make sure... when flashing the update, do I reflash all of the other zip files too? And what order do they need to be flashed. Also, do I flash your bloat remover last?

Do a clean install of the new one or you will mess things up.

Flash the rom.
gapps.
sprint to ov

not sure on the bloat, dont think it matters where you flash that, meaning before or after the sprint to ov.

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Do a clean install of the new one or you will mess things up.

Flash the rom.
gapps.
sprint to ov

not sure on the bloat, dont think it matters where you flash that, meaning before or after the sprint to ov.

K thanks. And is everything still working after the update? I didn't see anything bug wise, but I think its always good to ask.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

K thanks. And is everything still working after the update? I didn't see anything bug wise, but I think its always good to ask.

I just update the Sprint to OV zip to have a matching Settings.apk. I don't think it'll matter too much, but yes, everything seems to be working still, even with the older Sprint to OV zip.

Edit: Updated one last time to add Phone.apk to get rid of the last bit of "Sprint" branding.

Last edited:

cr42ydude

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

weird my mms is still not workign and i did a fresh new flash with everything.. ;(

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm having a weird issue. Maybe your latest file will fix it.
My phone, after reboots, will randomly show sprint again in spots on the phone.
Also keeps popping up with permissions must be reset errors
and saying I need to plug in my charger even though it is already.
I'll try the newest s to ov and if it persists ill go back to the previous version as I don't notice any difference with the new one anyway. :)

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

weird my mms is still not workign and i did a fresh new flash with everything.. ;(

Could also be vm I know they have been having trouble with mms.
I will not be able to get one and then all of a sudden get a couple from people.
I don't think it's a rom issue but could be I guess.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm, I haven't had anything like that happen. Did you use titanium backup to restore? Did you restore any system apps by accident?

I'm running nothing but the rom and everything is smooth.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm, I haven't had anything like that happen. Did you use titanium backup to restore? Did you restore any system apps by accident?

I'm running nothing but the rom and everything is smooth.

I'll try again with a fresh install. Maybe I removed an apk that needed to be there although I'm pretty good at doing it at this point. I batch restored with tb and don't believe there were any system apps in there but I'll try again. :)
Hopefully I'll have no issues this time.

Have you noticed any advantages/changes with this update or all seems as it did before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2