07-05-2012 01:33 AM
8,044 ... 179180181182183 ...
tools
    or just find the apk online somewhere(search for the latest version on google. most apk's are online somewhere), dl it, and install. much quicker and pain free.
    I wouldn't recommend this since you're not going through the official channels. Some of the APKs can have viruses, be pirated, or have other issues. When running an alpha OS, various issues should be anticipated.
    05-15-2012 11:34 AM
    I wouldn't recommend this since you're not going through the official channels. Some of the APKs can have viruses, be pirated, or have other issues. When running an alpha OS, various issues should be anticipated.
    Neither would I. It may be more work the other way but it is a lot safer to do it that way. Alpha builds can be more susceptible to viruses (no offense tdm, you are doing a terrific job ) so just do it the safer way.

Sent from my Cybertronian QuattrOV using Tapatalk 2000 (Now With Teleka-Typing!!!!)
    05-15-2012 11:58 AM
    hey can someone help me?? i love the rom its so smooth and nice and everything i use day to day works perfect except one thing. the tether. i tried the built in tether even though you said didnt work then i tried wierless tether it said that this device is not supported i tried wifi tether beta the same error message and foxfi gives me the message and says i cant download it? please let me know if there is something i need to flash? or if there is something i am missing in the rom? thanks to all who help me and thanks to you guys working so hard to get this going i feel this is the best thing for the optimus v
    05-15-2012 12:34 PM
    That seems like a rather paranoid and unrealistic attitude. I'd be more worried about ad-riddled apps in the Android Market.
    05-15-2012 12:42 PM
    You can set up the Android Emulator in the SDK, root it, and install the Market, and get apps from there. (complicated)

Or, get the APK Downloader extension for Google Chrome and get the APKs from the market that way (less complicated, but not near as fun :P )

before anyone freaks out, APK Downloader doesn't let you grab paid apps for free.
    TauSigmaNova likes this.
    05-15-2012 12:46 PM
    I'm on CM9/Alpha10/Pre1. I searched and couldn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked.

Does anyone frequently get "Package File is Invalid" when installing apps from the Play Store? I've been getting it on each build and avoided it on this current one, but I am getting it not and it is happening more frequently as time goes on. Is there a fix for this?
    One thing I noticed is you will get them pretty frequently if your internal memory is at 100mb or less. If you have a really big app on the internal like maps, hotmail, facebook, etc... move it off the phone or erase it and then try the market again. Other's say that clearing the data from the app, rebooting into recovery and wiping cache and dalvik and then rebooting fixes it.. never worked for me but some say it does. clean reinstall of the rom works for awhile, but it's temporary.
    agrinc95 likes this.
    05-15-2012 01:29 PM
    AOKP is giving me issues with several apps. TiBu and Gmail are both stopping when I try to open the app. Other applications (that I used before) are supposedly now incompatible with my device. Any ideas?
    05-15-2012 01:30 PM
    Does anyone frequently get "Package File is Invalid" when installing apps from the Play Store? I've been getting it on each build and avoided it on this current one, but I am getting it not and it is happening more frequently as time goes on. Is there a fix for this?
    There is currently no known fix yet but its a problem on all Roms. Just hang tight until then. If you really want an app, just restore your stock nand backup, download the app you want, backup the new app using titanium, and then restore your rom and titanium restore the app. Its a long process but it works.
    I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday trying to figure out the "Package file is invalid." problem since I've been getting it now on Alpha 10 Pre1 and also saw it after a while on Alpha 9. Maybe this is already known, but I've narrowed it down to my /cache partition being too full, specifically the Dalvik cache. I have tried clearing it from recovery so it gets rebuilt and also just using the cleanup feature in Titanium Backup, but neither really helps much because all of the files that are in my Dalvik cache are supposed to be there. I must just have reached the point where I have too many apps installed (I don't know exactly how many I have, but I've installed almost everything I would possibly want to have).

I'm still new to how a lot of this works, but it's my understanding that every app installed on your phone gets an optimized version of some sort put into the Dalvik cache, and that's what your phone actually runs when you open the app. No matter whether you put the app on the SD card or leave it on internal storage, its optimized version goes in the same Dalvik cache folder. It looks to me like on Quattrimus, that folder is actually in the /cache partition, and /data/dalvik-cache is a symlink to it, but I may have that backwards since Solid Explorer doesn't seem to show which is which.

As an example of the error only showing up when there isn't enough space in the /cache partition, yesterday my /cache had about 7 MB free. I could download small apps (presumably less than 7 MB), but when I tried to download a game that was 11 MB, I got the error. I then went and uninstalled a couple apps until my /cache partition had around 16 MB free, and the game installed perfectly.

I don't know enough about Android to say much more, but at least I feel like it's predictable now. The error does seem to only come up when the size of the app roughly exceeds the amount of free space in the cache.

Solution (sort-of):
    If you get the "Package file is invalid." error, you probably just need to uninstall some other apps to make more room in the Dalvik cache. You can use an app like FreeSpace to show you how much space your /cache partition has left, or use a file explorer that can go up to the root directory and then go to the properties of the /cache folder. (I'm using Solid Explorer.) If you really need an app to install that won't, you'll need to uninstall other apps until you see the free space on the /cache partition go up past the size of the app you're trying to install.

From my experience with it the past few days, sideloading does nothing to help because regardless of where the APK came from, there still isn't enough room to install it. Moving apps to the SD card also doesn't help (unless your internal storage shows as nearly full, too) because, from my understanding, apps get an optimized file put into the Dalvik cache no matter where they are stored.

Now, I'm not quite sure why there has to be as much free space in the /cache partition as the size of the app if the file that goes into the Dalvik cache is much smaller than the app itself, and I might be wrong on that, but that's what seems to be the issue here somehow.

Hopefully that helps.
    05-15-2012 01:43 PM
    You did your homework! Very nice! Thanks for the info

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    Compeek likes this.
    05-15-2012 01:50 PM
    AOKP is giving me issues with several apps. TiBu and Gmail are both stopping when I try to open the app. Other applications (that I used before) are supposedly now incompatible with my device. Any ideas?
    Bad flash, maybe? Did you change your LCD Density? Did this problem occur on a fresh install (i.e. the first time you've ever opened these apps they gave you problems, or they started after a while?) What steps do you take when flashing a new ROM?
    05-15-2012 01:53 PM
    I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday trying to figure out the "Package file is invalid." problem since I've been getting it now on Alpha 10 Pre1 and also saw it after a while on Alpha 9. Maybe this is already known, but I've narrowed it down to my /cache partition being too full, specifically the Dalvik cache.
    Yes, ICS is much bigger than this phone was designed to handle, and so the Dalvik cache can easily fill the cache partition. The best solution is to create an sd-ext partition on your sdcard. There are plenty of resources to read on how to create an sd-ext partition, just search in the forums.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for the Dalvik cache. You will need to manually delete the dex files from the cache partition, though.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for apps, also. But it will refuse to do this unless /data/app is empty. If you don't want to use it, you need do nothing. If you do want to use it, create an /sd-ext/app directory and move all of your /data/app/*.apk files over You should have a backup and be familiar with moving files around before you do this, though.
    Compeek, cmerlyn, bbrowe and 1 others like this.
    05-15-2012 02:10 PM
    After a rocky morning yesterday (about 5 hours of music streaming on radio.com on a VERY unstable phone) I was about to give up on this rom.. so I did the most logical thing i could do
    Booted into recovery, reset cache, and dalvik cache, and reinstalled the rom..
    Now it's running PERFECT (have no way of testing mms guys, i use gvoice) But everything else has been giving me no problems, and the phone doesn't restart itself anymore when i do too much at once!
    I get the ocassionaly app force closes soon as i open but that has only happened once or twice since reinstalling the rom.
    Here are my OC settings

Hope this helps anyone having similar issues
    05-15-2012 02:15 PM
    Bad flash, maybe? Did you change your LCD Density? Did this problem occur on a fresh install (i.e. the first time you've ever opened these apps they gave you problems, or they started after a while?) What steps do you take when flashing a new ROM?
    It's a fresh install. I did not change LCD density. The problems started on a fresh install and did not change with reinstalls of the app or rebooting my phone. I cleared the cache and dalvik cache before flashing. Should I do a factory reset from recovery and flash again?
    05-15-2012 02:16 PM
    Yes, ICS is much bigger than this phone was designed to handle, and so the Dalvik cache can easily fill the cache partition. The best solution is to create an sd-ext partition on your sdcard. There are plenty of resources to read on how to create an sd-ext partition, just search in the forums.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for the Dalvik cache. You will need to manually delete the dex files from the cache partition, though.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for apps, also. But it will refuse to do this unless /data/app is empty. If you don't want to use it, you need do nothing. If you do want to use it, create an /sd-ext/app directory and move all of your /data/app/*.apk files over You should have a backup and be familiar with moving files around before you do this, though.
    Thanks for the lesson TDM! I'm having a lot of the same issues... I'm gonna try this out now.
    05-15-2012 02:48 PM
    It's a fresh install. I did not change LCD density. The problems started on a fresh install and did not change with reinstalls of the app or rebooting my phone. I cleared the cache and dalvik cache before flashing. Should I do a factory reset from recovery and flash again?
    If all you do is cache and dalvik, that isn't enough. Go to the Mounts and Storage and wipe /system /boot /data /cache and /sd-ext along with your Dalvik before flashing a new ROM.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Gibson SG likes this.
    05-15-2012 03:22 PM
    Open up root explore and go to system/build.prop and edit ro.build.model: VM670 TO LG-VM670 save and exit. wipe data off play store.
    Whever i try to do this it refuses to save. I change it to LG-VM670 but after i save and exit and check if it really did save it just says VM670. What am i doing wrong? And yes i did use root explorer like you said.
    05-15-2012 03:57 PM
    I know this is common, but Netflix seems to run less smooth than on the Original rom that came "2.2' Has anyone for the right version, or a fix for CM9/AOKP? Been using this daily for a few months now. I love AOKP, I just want MPDI themes and Netflix to be a lot less laggy. Any help would be appreciated

Also, UOT kitchen doesnt work correct?
    05-15-2012 04:01 PM
    hey can someone help me?? i love the rom its so smooth and nice and everything i use day to day works perfect except one thing. the tether. i tried the built in tether even though you said didnt work then i tried wierless tether it said that this device is not supported i tried wifi tether beta the same error message and foxfi gives me the message and says i cant download it?: please let me know if there is something i need to flash? or if there is something i am missing in the rom? thanks to all who help me and thanks to you guys working so hard to get this going i feel this is the best thing for the optimus v
    easy tether pro works for me... :-)
    05-15-2012 04:26 PM
    Remember to set root explore permission to r/o its on the top right them make the edit!

05-15-2012 05:14 PM
    Remember to set root explore permission to r/o its on the top right them make the edit!
    It is set to r/o. The same thing still happens. Im supposed to edit it with text editor right?
    05-15-2012 05:40 PM
    I was thinking about switching from aokp to cm9. If I flashed ICS Reloaded would that pretty much make it on par with aokp or would I be missing quite a few core features? Also, in general, is cm9 better than aokp for those that have tested both? Thanks
    05-15-2012 05:45 PM
    It is set to r/o. The same thing still happens. Im supposed to edit it with text editor right?
    I think he means set it to r/w. You'll know when it's set to r/w when it has "Mount as r/o" in the corner. And yes, I used the text editor.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    05-15-2012 06:00 PM

I think he means set it to r/w. You'll know when it's set to r/w when it has "Mount as r/o" in the corner. And yes, I used the text editor.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    THANKS!
    05-15-2012 06:05 PM
    Took my ov running aokp off charge at 4:45 am and as of 7:12 pm the batt level is at 66% with moderate use. WOW

sent from my device using XPB ICS Tapatalk 2
    05-15-2012 07:15 PM
    cm9 works perfect for me. havent had a single reboot unlike aokp and aosp, and nothing has force closed or anything. AMAZING rom, thank you so much for all your work TDM! extremely grateful for all you have done!
    tdm likes this.
    05-15-2012 07:43 PM
8,044 ... 179180181182183 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD