ARCHIVED: [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus CM9 (ICS)

Why exactly is the battery life worse on this than on iho? I want to understand.

Because it is alpha stage software and isn't totally ready for our phones. IHO hasn't always had it's battery life it does now, these things take time to develop. I imagine once the new kernel is released in the next update, it will improve.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. As time goes on the codebase matures and becomes more efficient and elegant resulting in a smooth Rom with great battery life.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Why exactly is the battery life worse on this than on iho? I want to understand.
What I observed when I tested one of the earlier alphas, was that the phone never entered deep sleep (according to CPU spy). That would effect battery life significantly. I would expect a kernel for the OV to help with that.

samlin168us

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Getting ready to release a new update. Probably tomorrow. I've got a new kernel that should solve the MMS issue for good, I'm putting back GenieWidget and CalendarGoogle from gapps, and I think I can solve the voicemail issue as well.

Based on feedback here, I think the camera is probably the highest priority after that so I'll be looking into it next.

you are genius,:thumbup: thank you very much..

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

The most significant issue currently with battery life is network status. If you do a logcat, you'll see the phone is constantly changing state, even though it doesn't need to. This is partially due to a missing kernel module, and partially due to needing to tweak everything to work together better. ;)

Note- this is also the main reason people have issues with both 3G and/or WiFi connections.

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

My first attempt with it gave me constant "System UI has stopped", like every 30 seconds. Probably my fault. I will flash Quattrimus from a clean start, then flash the reloaded with a fresh system and see how that fares. As always, I will report my results here.

[Edit] Installed Quattrimus Alpha 6 from a clean start. Rebooted. Installed Reloaded. Rebooted. Installed Gapps, rebooted. Everything running fine now.
I will proceed to restore all my usual stuff, and if I find one that causes the previous problems, I will let you know. Basically though, I think it is going to run fine now that it has been properly flashed.

Got all my apps re-installed, overclocked at 480 - 825. Everything running smoothly. Once this has stabilized out I suspect the battery life will be pretty good. Right now, it is suffering from a load of flashing and app restoring and reconfiguring. I plan to use this as a daily driver for a bit, just to give it a good shake-out. I understand TDM is coming out with a new version of Quattrimus soon, I will certainly upgrade to that when it happens.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

With any luck, the new kernel will help battery life, he built in the missing module I talked about above. ;)

Reactions: Masema

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

What I observed when I tested one of the earlier alphas, was that the phone never entered deep sleep (according to CPU spy). That would effect battery life significantly. I would expect a kernel for the OV to help with that.

I actually was just looking at the battery stats while on quattrimus, and my phone said it was awake the whole night, and I hadn't turned touched it for hours. That makes sense why it drains so quickly.

Haha, ICS is so tempting that I just had to flash it again, even though I know better and know that my phone will be completely dead long before it should. :p

The addiction of alpha builds...

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm trying to get a whole day out of quattrimus... so I shut data off, and it seems (like jerry's saying) that data connection is the biggest battery drain. My battery graph is now a straight line after disabling data:D

I know its a smartphone so data is a MUST, but I just want to be able to pull out my optimus (for right now) and say
anthony said:
Yeah that's right... this is ICS, and your phone probably doesn't have it
without worrying that the battery will die:p

yay!

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You guys are both right. The reason its not going in to deep sleep is because of the radio keeps bouncing around. My phone never goes in deep sleep at home because I don't have great reception. My signal is always fluctuating between 1-2bars. But if I'm somewhere with a strong signal it stays constant and my battery lasts a lot longer. If the radio can stay constant, it will keep the phone in a deep sleep most likely

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

You guys are both right. The reason its not going in to deep sleep is because of the radio keeps bouncing around. My phone never goes in deep sleep at home because I don't have great reception. My signal is always fluctuating between 1-2bars. But if I'm somewhere with a strong signal it stays constant and my battery lasts a lot longer. If the radio can stay constant, it will keep the phone in a deep sleep most likely

The problem of radio bouncing has been around as long as 3G has. One easy solution is to turn 3G off when you aren't using it. Personally, I have always gotten better reception on the 2G band, and stopping the radio from searching really increased my battery life. There are some widgets and apps that provide easy switches for turning 3G on and off.

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem of radio bouncing has been around as long as 3G has. One easy solution is to turn 3G off when you aren't using it. Personally, I have always gotten better reception on the 2G band, and stopping the radio from searching really increased my battery life. There are some widgets and apps that provide easy switches for turning 3G on and off.

yup that is exactly what I do I turn 3g on when I need it or at the least I kill background data that saves a bunch right there

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

fuzzcat

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Wow!

I love this ROM! My Optimus V is much faster than the Gingerbread it was running. Wouldn't overclock past 806MHz but that's not bad either. The keyboard works in portrait mode, but just a bit of it is cut off at the bottom. The Camera, Audio Routing, and Youtube don't work either. Can't wait for the final release!

keeperx

May 25, 2011
Visit site

watching this closely. i was a part of the CM7 build that happened recently for the vortex. I can offer lots of troubleshooting data once the VS660 (Verizon LG Vortex) version goes alpha/beta. I have plenty experience flashing roms. I have a good nand backup of my current system (CM7 with working camera and sensors) and i am very interested in testing the vortex version (whenever it gets here)...

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

I flashed a6 over a week ago, and my battery is a little better. But the 3g is on and off, wifi works perfectly and any sort of videos wont load/camera. Besides that its been my daily for about 9 days, cant wait for new release.
And when i flashed it i used setcpu and over clocked it from 600 to 864? And its been fine..

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, hoping today's release fixes battery life for sure. :)

I've had my phone unplugged for about 9 hours and it's already down to 32% with very little use, lol!

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, hoping today's release fixes battery life for sure. :)

I've had my phone unplugged for about 9 hours and it's already down to 32% with very little use, lol!

He said "probably" so here's hoping it happens. If not I am a patient person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2