ARCHIVED: [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshinJaa

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about switching from aokp to cm9. If I flashed ICS Reloaded would that pretty much make it on par with aokp or would I be missing quite a few core features? Also, in general, is cm9 better than aokp for those that have tested both? Thanks

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Took my ov running aokp off charge at 4:45 am and as of 7:12 pm the batt level is at 66% with moderate use. WOW

sent from my device using XPB ICS Tapatalk 2

phonecharger

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
cm9 works perfect for me. havent had a single reboot unlike aokp and aosp, and nothing has force closed or anything. AMAZING rom, thank you so much for all your work TDM! extremely grateful for all you have done!

Reactions: tdm

Gibson SG

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I'm still a newb at some of this. This was the first time I've switched to a new rom. I cleared everything and reinstalled and the damn thing is just flying now. I like ICS.

Nate456

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been here before this ICS thread and the other one, the CM9 ROM have progressed so much that I'm starting to think TDM is being helped by aliens:p, but really it has became one of my top favorite ROMs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (not really) using Tapatalk 2

Compeek

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, ICS is much bigger than this phone was designed to handle, and so the Dalvik cache can easily fill the cache partition. The best solution is to create an sd-ext partition on your sdcard. There are plenty of resources to read on how to create an sd-ext partition, just search in the forums.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for the Dalvik cache. You will need to manually delete the dex files from the cache partition, though.

Quattrimus will automagically use the sd-ext partition for apps, also. But it will refuse to do this unless /data/app is empty. If you don't want to use it, you need do nothing. If you do want to use it, create an /sd-ext/app directory and move all of your /data/app/*.apk files over You should have a backup and be familiar with moving files around before you do this, though.

Thanks, TDM! I didn't realize it did that.

If I do set up sd-ext and then mount my SD card as USB storage when I plug the phone into my computer, will the apps remain unaffected because it's a separate partition? If so, then would it work best not to keep any apps on the SD card the normal way (.android_secure) and just let the ROM move them to sd-ext instead? That way when I do mount my SD card as USB storage, I don't suddenly lose access to apps stored on the sdcard partition.

Lastly can I selectively move Dalvik-cache files and/or apps to the SD card if I have sd-ext? I want apps I use a lot to still be on the internal storage--my thinking being that they will boot/run a bit quicker.

bigchillin

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see it in the op, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has had FB app troubles on the AOKP build. Sorry ahead of time for not reading the 180+ pages to find out for myself :p

Nate456

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see it in the op, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has had FB app troubles on the AOKP build. Sorry ahead of time for not reading the 180+ pages to find out for myself :p

What kind of trouble? When FB was acting up on me was when I change the LCD density.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

If you're having an issue where updates and stuff don't show up, they load but you just get a white screen, I have had luck with copying the APK to /system/app and setting the permissions to rwx in all three colums.

What kind of trouble? When FB was acting up on me was when I change the LCD density.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Easiest way I've found to solve LCD density issues is to change it in the build.prop in the zip BEFORE you flash the ROM. You'll need to disable signature verification before flashing but you will have the lower density from first boot and everything is good.

Reactions: bigchillin

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If I do set up sd-ext and then mount my SD card as USB storage when I plug the phone into my computer, will the apps remain unaffected because it's a separate partition?
That is correct.

If so, then would it work best not to keep any apps on the SD card the normal way (.android_secure) and just let the ROM move them to sd-ext instead?
Yeah, moving apps to the sdcard becomes kinda pointless with sd-ext.

Lastly can I selectively move Dalvik-cache files and/or apps to the SD card if I have sd-ext? I want apps I use a lot to still be on the internal storage--my thinking being that they will boot/run a bit quicker.
No, it's all or nothing.

The method of using sd-ext is called a "bind mount". The directory /sd-ext/dalvik-cache is "bound" (or mounted on top of) /cache/dalvik-cache. Likewise, /sd-ext/app is mounted on top of /data/app. So the actual contents of /cache/dalvik-cache and /data/app are "hidden". This is why /data/app must be empty for sd-ext to be used for the apps. If it were not, those apps actually in /data/app would appear to be gone.

Compeek

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That is correct.

Yeah, moving apps to the sdcard becomes kinda pointless with sd-ext.

No, it's all or nothing.

The method of using sd-ext is called a "bind mount". The directory /sd-ext/dalvik-cache is "bound" (or mounted on top of) /cache/dalvik-cache. Likewise, /sd-ext/app is mounted on top of /data/app. So the actual contents of /cache/dalvik-cache and /data/app are "hidden". This is why /data/app must be empty for sd-ext to be used for the apps. If it were not, those apps actually in /data/app would appear to be gone.

Gotcha, thanks a lot for all of the information. I'm repartitioning my SD card as we speak. :)

Reactions: kenbrasensei

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So I backup my sd card to my computer, repartition the card, put everything back.. then what? How do I put everything back on the card in such a manner that the phone will find the files? Is there a write up on this somewhere? I have searched through the forums, but haven't found anything that really covers the issue in any detail.

jto101680

May 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post ever. Been following this thread since it was posted. Waiting for the right time (as a noob) to attempt a flash. So far its perfect (CM9) . There must be millions (exaggeration) of people like me laying low, following tdm. The Picasso of our time.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So I backup my sd card to my computer, repartition the card, put everything back.. then what? How do I put everything back on the card in such a manner that the phone will find the files? Is there a write up on this somewhere? I have searched through the forums, but haven't found anything that really covers the issue in any detail.

Depends how you backed it up. It is generally straightforward to restore a backup though.

Compeek

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Here's exactly what I just did, and it seems to have worked perfectly:

Backup everything from the SD card to your computer, then shut the phone off and remove the SD card (or turn the phone off first and use a USB reader to copy the files, obviously).

Put the SD card into a USB reader on your computer so you can repartition it (I used EASEUS Partion Master Home Edition). Follow the instructions here: SD card partitioning - XDA-Developers. I used ext2 for the second partition. (From what I understand, it's easier on the SD card and won't hurt its life as much as ext3 or ext4.) I have a 32GB card, so I made 1GB for the ext2 partition. That seems like more than plenty, but you could always do more (or less) depending on your situation.

Copy everything back to your SD card from your computer. Windows only recognizes the first partition on an SD card, so you should see only your FAT32 partition in Windows Explorer like before.

Before putting your SD card back in your phone (probably doesn't matter if it's before, but I waited), boot directly to recovery and wipe the Dalvik cache to clear out the files in /cache/dalvik-cache, which we no longer want there because they're going on sd-ext now (which will happen automatically with the SD card properly partitioned). Then power the phone back off. Do not boot Android yet or it will recreate the Dalvik cache on internal memory (no big deal, but the point is we're clearing it off of internal memory so we gain that space back--you could always do this later, too).

Once your SD card is repartitioned and your data is copied back onto it, put the SD card back in the phone and boot normally. It will recreate the Dalvik cache files and will take a few minutes. When it's done, you should be all set.

After it booted, I checked with Solid Explorer and can confirm the Dalvik cache files are now in /sd-ext/dalvik-cache and not in /cache/dalvik-cache.

This seems to have fixed the "Package file is invalid." error, for the most part. :) I did get it once more on a sizable app, but moving some more apps to the SD card (the normal way, in the apps settings) fixed it. It seems you still need a decent amount of internal app storage space not to get the error, but it's definitely much better now that the /cache partition isn't full.

I have been incredibly pleased with this ROM so far, and now even much more so. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante