ARCHIVED: [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compeek

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i think the general consensus is that if you want to run any of these roms, an SD-ext partition is highly recommended. not having one will cause google market to misbehave.

On top of that, having the apps on a separate partition than the regular SD card partition has turned out to be incredibly more smooth all around. I was somewhat opposed to having all of my apps on sd-ext at first because I figured internal memory is faster, so I want to keep them there and just have large ones on the SD card the normal way, but now that I have sd-ext set up and all of my apps are automatically put on there, I don't ever want to go back. And in fact, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in speed, and I only have a Class 4 card (32GB SanDisk).

One overwhelming reason, in my experience now, to use sd-ext is that you when you boot up, you don't have to wait for the SD card to be mounted properly (presumably because the sd-ext partition is mounted much earlier on in the boot process), and if the SD card acts up and essentially becomes unmounted for some reason (which hasn't happened much, if at all, since I bought a new card, but it used to happen frequently with the old one), your apps just keep on chugging along. PLUS, when you mount the USB storage when you're phone is plugged into your computer, your apps don't stop working then, either.

And of course, it's just so much nicer never worrying about sufficient internal storage space for apps and Dalvik-cache.

Reactions: drezliok

anon406695

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
On top of that, having the apps on a separate partition than the regular SD card partition has turned out to be incredibly more smooth all around. I was somewhat opposed to having all of my apps on sd-ext at first because I figured internal memory is faster, so I want to keep them there and just have large ones on the SD card the normal way, but now that I have sd-ext set up and all of my apps are automatically put on there, I don't ever want to go back. And in fact, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in speed, and I only have a Class 4 card (32GB SanDisk).

One overwhelming reason, in my experience now, to use sd-ext is that you when you boot up, you don't have to wait for the SD card to be mounted properly (presumably because the sd-ext partition is mounted much earlier on in the boot process), and if the SD card acts up and essentially becomes unmounted for some reason (which hasn't happened much, if at all, since I bought a new card, but it used to happen frequently with the old one), your apps just keep on chugging along. PLUS, when you mount the USB storage when you're phone is plugged into your computer, your apps don't stop working then, either.

And of course, it's just so much nicer never worrying about sufficient internal storage space for apps and Dalvik-cache.

How do I set that up?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: lattimorej1986

YoshiFtJ

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I flashed this for my girlfriend last night. She texted me this morning saying her data isn't working.

Is it supported or is something else wrong?

jto101680

May 15, 2012
Visit site
There's an strange silence coming from tdm..... he must be hard at work in his secret lair.....

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Been having a real problem with the phone randomly rebooting on me the last few weeks...cm9. I know it's because I have way too much stuff on it. Tried dropping surface dithering and adding purging and samepage merging, along with overclock to 320/806 with smartassv2 at the suggestion of several others..which did make it less frequent, but still happened pretty regularly. Did a little digging into some band-aids for memory management, and cam across an article saying that several people had pretty good success with memory booster from the market. Didn't think any of those apps really did much besides clean cache memory, which really doesn't solve anything for more than a few minutes....but this one was free, and i'd never heard of it before, so I figured I'd go ahead and give it a whirl. Gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the result. I think over the course of a week I've had it reboot on me twice, and that was two times when it was getting serious use. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ter.lite&feature=search_result&token=Jyx16Sfx

Reactions: Teh_Gaberz

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

That's why my stuff is smoother!! I just started using Link2SD and noticed my phone is so much better.

I have to add though, Apps that take some time to load do suffer longer load times, like LittleEmpire. But not much, I imagine that if the OV was a faster phone all around we'd feel the difference more than we do. (Which is almost none at all)

benslgdroid

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That's why my stuff is smoother!! I just started using Link2SD and noticed my phone is so much better.

I have to add though, Apps that take some time to load do suffer longer load times, like LittleEmpire. But not much, I imagine that if the OV was a faster phone all around we'd feel the difference more than we do. (Which is almost none at all)

You don't need link2sd this has a built in Apps2ext

Ilovefarts

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
AOSP is barebones ICS

AOKP is the "kang project" of cm9 and is a bit more customize-able

CM9 is the cyanogenmod team's iteration of ICS, also customize-able but not all of the tweaks have been brought over yet.

if you use youtube alot, cm9 is the way to go. i think the general consensus is that if you want to run any of these roms, an SD-ext partition is highly recommended. not having one will cause google market to misbehave.

I'm running AOKP and pretty much love it...I still see random reboots tho, and am anxiously waiting for the next build. it's a process. I say download CM9 and AOKP and see which one you like better. i havent bothered with the AOSP version.

AOKP is currently my daily driver, btw.

Nevermind, for my reply. I found a solution to my error 921 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1594135

Last edited:

bhasden

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
There are still certain apps that the built in wont move... So in order to get everything onto sd you have to use a 2sd or titanium

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

I think the only apps that it will not "move" are the system apps which use a limited amount of space anyway. I could be misunderstanding how tdm has the ROM setup for putting the apps on the sdcard, but my understanding is the he setup a script in /system/etc/init.d to symlink the dalvik-cache and the apps directory from the phone to the sdcard. That means that literally everything that was supposed to go into those directories will now be on the card.

Ilovefarts

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
AOKP, I just tried it out and compared it to CM9. For me, AOKP has to much going on. And with the way my brain works, I wanted simplicity. CM9 is perfect. It has plenty of customization to go with a rather bare to the bones ROM. That's just my take. Don't get me wrong, AOKP has unicorns and you should know, I think they are kick a**

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
AOKP, I just tried it out and compared it to CM9. For me, AOKP has to much going on. And with the way my brain works, I wanted simplicity. CM9 is perfect. It has plenty of customization to go with a rather bare to the bones ROM. That's just my take. Don't get me wrong, AOKP has unicorns and you should know, I think they are kick a**

The unicorns are subtle compared to the flying poptart cat pooping rainbows on team gummy roms

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad