08-10-2012 11:19 AM
207 ... 6789
tools
    +1, amendment accepted

And yes I agree. Koush not releasing sources is way uncool. Not illegal since it's not technically GPL, just uncool.
    CWM is open source.
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...table_recovery

So is the device repo used to build the thunderc recovery:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...nderc/tree/ics

Hell, I even provide resources (and my personal build server) to build CWM (and touch) from source:
    Recovery Builder

Might I suggest less ...about what an ... I am, and more fixing. This is what most device communities do. If you provide a fix, I'd be happy to build and publish it.
    Instead, all I get are remarks on my twitter about how I need to unpublish thunderc. Even though it *worked* when I originally published it. Absolutely no information beyond that as to what the problem is, let alone a fix.

Getting a recovery built (or updated) and published to ROM Manager is not a difficult process. Fix the problem, open an issue on github, ask me to build it. I do this many times a week, for various device maintainers. The process is very well detailed here:
    My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Hell, I just built and published 6 new device recoveries while responding to this.
    https://github.com/koush/ROMManagerM...a654ac82e35881

So, once again, provide me with a recovery image or device config repository that works, and I can probably fix the issue.
    08-04-2012 07:32 PM
    CWM is open source.
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...table_recovery

So is the device repo used to build the thunderc recovery:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...nderc/tree/ics

Hell, I even provide resources (and my personal build server) to build CWM (and touch) from source:
    Recovery Builder

Might I suggest less ... about what an ... I am, and more fixing. This is what most device communities do. If you provide a fix, I'd be happy to build and publish it.
    Instead, all I get are remarks on my twitter about how I need to unpublish thunderc. Even though it *worked* when I originally published it. Absolutely no information beyond that as to what the problem is, let alone a fix.

Getting a recovery built (or updated) and published to ROM Manager is not a difficult process. Fix the problem, open an issue on github, ask me to build it. I do this many times a week, for various device maintainers. The process is very well detailed here:
    My Brain Hurts: Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Hell, I just built and published 6 new device recoveries while responding to this.
    https://github.com/koush/ROMManagerM...a654ac82e35881

So, once again, provide me with a recovery image or device config repository that works, and I can probably fix the issue.
    ... I linked you to a repo that works. I even linked you to a ... recovery! You completely refused to cooperate with me on twitter. Use github.com/BobZhome/android_device_lge_thunderc.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    08-04-2012 08:17 PM
    ... I linked you to a repo that works. I even linked you to a ... recovery! You completely refused to cooperate with me on twitter. Use github.com/BobZhome/android_device_lge_thunderc.

Thanks for effectively proving proving my point.

You seriously think twitter is the proper forum to collaborate on development work and report bugs? Do you think I go and read every single mention I get? In the past day, I've gotten around ~200 mentions.

Did you even read the "porting" guide? It explicitly states to report issues on github. That's actually how I found out about this thread. Someone actually knew how to be properly proactive about getting a fix (tvall43).
    https://github.com/koush/ROMManagerM...omment-7503856
    08-04-2012 08:33 PM
    Thanks for effectively proving proving my point.

You seriously think twitter is the proper forum to collaborate on development work and report bugs? Do you think I go and read every single mention I get? In the past day, I've gotten around ~200 mentions.

Did you even read the "porting" guide? It explicitly states to report issues on github. That's actually how I found out about this thread. Someone actually knew how to be properly proactive about getting a fix (tvall43).
    https://github.com/koush/ROMManagerM...omment-7503856
    I dont use github. and yeah i seen the pull request. and I used twitter because I figured it would be faster. and how did I "effectively prove your point?" Ill be happy with you if you get the issue fixed. you have been contacted before. thanks.
    08-04-2012 08:38 PM
    I dont use github.
    There's the problem right there.

You want a fix, but you don't use the proper channels to report a bug or submit a fix.
    08-04-2012 08:40 PM

You want a fix, but you don't use the proper channels to report a bug or submit a fix.
    as I just stated, I dont use github! and I didnt read your guide, I have no interest in porting CWM as we already have working ports! You were contacted about this a year ago on google plus by eollie and we know you saw it! all we want you to do is at least post a working recovery on rom manager. Hell, you can even use the one BobZhome built. would you like a link to it?
    08-04-2012 08:42 PM
    as I just stated, I dont use github! and I didnt read your guide, I have no interest in porting CWM as we already have working ports! You were contacted about this a year ago on google plus by eollie and we know you saw it! all we want you to do is at least post a working recovery on rom manager. Hell, you can even use the one BobZhome built. would you like a link to it?
    Yes, please add the relevant links to the github issue.
    08-04-2012 08:45 PM
    Yes, please add the relevant links to the github issue.
    Now we are getting somewhere. thanks
    08-04-2012 08:47 PM
    Hey koush and sellers, you should watch you language (even censored)

Mods got mad at me for calling someone a f****** genious (that is exactly how I typed it)

Mods, if you edit my post, edit theirs too. I couldn't figure out how to say what I typed without actually typing it or making it less censored. And please only edit my post if you can do so in a way that conveys the EXACT same meaning. If you can't, just delete it.
    sammyz and flapjack.fiasco like this.
    08-04-2012 10:24 PM

Koush, I appreciate you joining the conversation here. We know that you are a busy person, as many have stated in this thread, so thank you for taking the time to come to us.

I understand that had we could have resolved this long ago had we used the proper channels. But you have to understand that the majority of us here are simply phone users, with little or no development knowledge. In fact, I imagine that many here don't even know what github is.

Given the fact that your app, ROM Manager, exists for the very purpose of simplifying the process of installing custom recoveries and ROMs, you must know that a great deal of your customers use your app because they don't know how to use ADB or terminal commands, and probably don't know much about github either.

I'm not sure how times you've been contacted about the situation with the Optimus V, but have you even once directed any of those who have inquired to github? I don't recall hearing or reading any conversations in which someone brought this issue to your attention, and then you told them to address the issue through github. I could of course be wrong about this, and I apologize in advance if this is the case.

Honestly though, some of the ... that has occurred in this thread is justified. People have purchased your app, which appears to be compatible with their phone, and which allows them to install a recovery which is not necessarily compatible with their phone, and then are denied a refund. That's a perfectly legitimate complaint, and to call it ... is contemptible. I imagine it's possible that some part of the refund process may be out of your control, but if that is the case, it's still not right to come here and address them in the manner you chose.

So let's all lay this petty ... aside and get this problem fixed. That is and always has been the intent of this thread, and now that we're finally getting somewhere, let's all be civil and concentrate on a solution.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    sammyz, Nate456, sellers86 and 1 others like this.
    08-04-2012 10:53 PM
    Hey koush and sellers, you should watch you language (even censored)

Mods got mad at me for calling someone a f****** genious (that is exactly how I typed it)

Mods, if you edit my post, edit theirs too. I couldn't figure out how to say what I typed without actually typing it or making it less censored.
    Feel free to edit mine as well cole2kb, I felt that some emphasis was needed, but you do what you need to.

08-04-2012 10:55 PM
    So you're saying I can build the touch version of CWM from the official repository? Wrong. I can't, because the source is NOT published.

You clearly misinterpreted what I said.

That said, it's great that you are willing to help resolve this issue (though personally I will still recommend abstaining from ROM Manager because I've heard of it causing other issues, but that's not the point) and I do admire the work you have done for the community.
    rukin5197, tvall and sellers86 like this.
    08-04-2012 11:37 PM
    I didn't even know there was an official touch version till I looked at rommanagermanifest and saw the references to it. Confused me because I didn't see the source
    sellers86 likes this.
    08-05-2012 12:23 AM
    I didn't even know there was an official touch version till I looked at rommanagermanifest and saw the references to it. Confused me because I didn't see the source
    Because the source doesn't exist, at least not publicly.
    sellers86 likes this.
    08-05-2012 12:26 AM
    Tvall, your post stays as is, because honestly, it's a perfect example of what NOT to do, and this thread is going away as soon as the issue is resolved.

Other than that, I've had a pair of days from hell, hence my lack of presence, so I'm just going to leave this here and hope you guys get the picture.

Foul Language - Android Central is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts, usernames, and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block variations of profanity and [HL]will not tolerate attempts (i.e. use of special characters) to circumvent these filters[/HL]. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    08-05-2012 03:21 AM
    Tvall, your post stays as is, because honestly, it's a perfect example of what NOT to do, and this thread is going away as soon as the issue is resolved.

Other than that, I've had a pair of days from hell, hence my lack of presence, so I'm just going to leave this here and hope you guys get the picture.
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

08-05-2012 03:30 AM
    Um... roms but no recovery? No comprendo...
    Yeah, I know it sounds weird.
    No rom has been released, but I have one ready to go if/when it gets a recovery. So far it has proven quite hassle to build a recovery for. LG locked it down good.

I bought my mom one of them, so I have been toying with it a bit.
    08-05-2012 07:30 AM

Apologies to all. I'll self edit, emotions were running a bit high.

EDIT: I didn't even read my post. Apparently you already took care of it. Thanks cole2kb, and again, I'm sorry about that.

08-05-2012 10:51 AM
    No worries. Taking this on a case by case basis for the moment, this is an issue that has quite a few overheated.

08-05-2012 12:51 PM
    so.... since it was mentioned in this thread, would anyone like twrp for the ov?
    Biscuit1001011 likes this.
    08-07-2012 05:56 AM
    so.... since it was mentioned in this thread, would anyone like twrp for the ov?
    I would. I love twrp, if you need help getting it going talk to dees_troy on xda. He is very helpful.

sent from my Nokia 5110
    08-07-2012 08:17 AM
    So did we get rom manager straightened out yet??

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2
    08-07-2012 12:03 PM
    So did we get rom manager straightened out yet??

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2
    Koush is still working on getting a good recovery.

I would. I love twrp, if you need help getting it going talk to dees_troy on xda. He is very helpful.

sent from my Nokia 5110
    I have it booting, but it doesn't want to mount the sdcard..
    08-07-2012 03:10 PM

Keep going!

08-07-2012 04:17 PM

Are you porting 2.2 there are mounting issues with it. Usually rebooting recovery fixes it. 2.11 was more solid. It might be a better starting point

sent from my Nokia 5110
    08-07-2012 04:41 PM
207 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD