Operation KRUSH KOUSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, guys, I don't know how intense the level of contact has been, but please let Sellers continue his dialog with Koush now, and see what happens before others continue to contact him. No reason to spam him unnecessarily.

Asadullah has also contacted him on Twitter.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, guys, I don't know how intense the level of contact has been, but please let Sellers continue his dialog with Koush now, and see what happens before others continue to contact him. No reason to spam him unnecessarily.

Last year I contacted him via G+ he passed the buck to one of his associates. Then nothing ever come of it.

@Kevin O'Quinn its not so much the recovery as people install Rom Manager to get CWM. Then once the phone is bricked create threads saying help I used Rom Mangler and bricked my phone. If we can get to the people before using Rom Mangler they get the proper recovery.

@Paul627g I agree Koush could pick up any of the Optimus One variants for pretty cheap and not break his bank account. But in all honesty if he would respond to people and not blow them off this would have been fixed many months ago.

Like LeslieAnn says he has been contacted and chooses to ignore this community because they arent the latest and greatest. Look at the phones supported and not supported. Most supported phones are high end phones and the unsupported are ones he would be embarrassed to use.

Recently the devs for my current phone stopped even trying to get official support from Rom Mangler. Because after three months of unanswered and unapproved requests they went to goo.im and within the hour were approved and setup to upload.

I have the conversation from G+ still but the emails I sent him I recently deleted. I tired for several weeks to get a response on how to remedy the situation and it feel to deaf ears. I hope sellers gets a better response but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Hey +Koushik Dutta just wanted to pass this to you. The new LG Optimus V's are being shipped out with the screens from the Optimus S. Therefore they have the video drivers from the VD baseband and in turn end up appearing bricked when installing Clockwork Mod Recovery. There is about five confirmed cases of this on Android Central. If you let me know what you need Ill try to get the people experiencing the issue to contact you. Briefly whats happening is they install CWM recovery and then a rom and when booting back end up with a black screen.

Koushik DuttaSep 8, 2011
+Ricardo Cerqueira Know anything about what +Chris Flinn is talking about?

Ricardo CerqueiraSep 8, 2011
Those are the Sprint and Virgin Mobile variants of the P500. We don't support either, so if you have CWM for them it doesn't come from our repos...

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I didn't even get started, and sellers86 just ran with it! The idea was to be coordinated about spamming him, but we definitely need to see how far sellers gets before we start a full campaign. Let's hope for the best, and if you need any kind of assistance sellers, just let us know.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: sellers86

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Last year I contacted him via G+ he passed the buck to one of his associates. Then nothing ever come of it.

@Kevin O'Quinn its not so much the recovery as people install Rom Manager to get CWM. Then once the phone is bricked create threads saying help I used Rom Mangler and bricked my phone. If we can get to the people before using Rom Mangler they get the proper recovery.

@Paul627g I agree Koush could pick up any of the Optimus One variants for pretty cheap and not break his bank account. But in all honesty if he would respond to people and not blow them off this would have been fixed many months ago.

Like LeslieAnn says he has been contacted and chooses to ignore this community because they arent the latest and greatest. Look at the phones supported and not supported. Most supported phones are high end phones and the unsupported are ones he would be embarrassed to use.

Recently the devs for my current phone stopped even trying to get official support from Rom Mangler. Because after three months of unanswered and unapproved requests they went to goo.im and within the hour were approved and setup to upload.

I have the conversation from G+ still but the emails I sent him I recently deleted. I tired for several weeks to get a response on how to remedy the situation and it feel to deaf ears. I hope sellers gets a better response but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Thanks for confirming everything I've read previously about this situation. I know our chances are slim, that's why I wanted to organize one last effort to try and get some kind of action. If it doesn't work, we're no worse off than before, but maybe we can get something going here.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe we can try asking VM to block it?

Yeah I'm sure that would confuse the hell out of VM. They'd probably just think about blocking all the other root/tether apps while their at it.

But seriously just make a TWRP image and switch to GooManager. Koush has part of CWM encrypted so that users cannot use an Android app (other than RM Premium) to flash more than one zip automatically at once. Also not giving users the option to quick flash touch recovery and restricting the ROMs that are downloadable from the app to premium only.

*down with closed source*

GooManager has all those functions and doesn't cost a dime. If they had a feature that could automatically download the ROM instead of having to check for updates as a donate version I would buy it. The only bad side is that having all the files hosted on a single mirror system definitely makes downloads slower. But on the bright side it puts files from all sorts of devs in one unified place. If goo.im had an option for devs to host their files on a separate mirror it would be perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm sure that would confuse the hell out of VM. They'd probably just think about blocking all the other root/tether apps while their at it.

But seriously just make a TWRP image and switch to GooManager. Koush has part of CWM encrypted so that users cannot use an Android app (other than RM Premium) to flash more than one zip automatically at once. Also not giving users the option to quick flash touch recovery and restricting the ROMs that are downloadable from the app to premium only.

*down with closed source*

GooManager has all those functions and doesn't cost a dime. If they had a feature that could automatically download the ROM instead of having to check for updates as a donate version I would buy it. The only bad side is that having all the files hosted on a single mirror system definitely makes downloads slower. But on the bright side it puts files from all sorts of devs in one unified place. If goo.im had an option for devs to host their files on a separate mirror it would be perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Goo Manager is a great solution, I use it to download AOKP nightlies. But the issue here is inexperienced users flocking to RM. If we could get koush to drop support, we'd be all set. And if we got him to update with a supported recovery, at least noobs would be spared the brick panic, even if they are using a less than ideal method.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
TWRP2 = Team Win Recovery Project 2. IMHO it's better than CWM in every way possible.

Where has it ever been stated that Koush is obligated to support and write for each and every phone individually? Or any dev of any app for that matter?

I have an HTC AT&T One X. It's a high-end flagship phone. I have no official CWM support. I'm not mad at him, either. I don't expect him to support my phone, but if he does I'll have other options. Yes, XDA is full of people that say "I used CWM and now XXXXX happened." You get the (almost required) troll/flaming replies, and then people try to help them. The difference here? We don't flame people for not reading first (and if anybody does they are WRONG).

Yes, it sucks that people don't read before they try to do hackish stuff to their phone. No, we can't make them read first. All we can do is help them when they come here for help, if it's not too late. But getting mad at a dev for not supporting a particular device because people decide to use his app without reading up first is kinda not fair IMHO. You wouldn't start taking apart the engine of your car without reading up first, right? At the end of the day, agree or not, he doesn't have any responsibility to anyone that bricks their phone using his app. That's an assumed risk you take when hacking your phone. And isn't this a small percentage of the total user base anyway?

All that being said, I hope he replies in a positive way and gets things working the right way for you guys. It would be awesome.

Reactions: Biscuit1001011

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
And I'm pretty sure that TWRP is open source (I could be completely wrong, though) so if someone wants to port it over I'm sure they could.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
TWRP2 = Team Win Recovery Project 2. IMHO it's better than CWM in every way possible.

Where has it ever been stated that Koush is obligated to support and write for each and every phone individually? Or any dev of any app for that matter?

I have an HTC AT&T One X. It's a high-end flagship phone. I have no official CWM support. I'm not mad at him, either. I don't expect him to support my phone, but if he does I'll have other options. Yes, XDA is full of people that say "I used CWM and now XXXXX happened." You get the (almost required) troll/flaming replies, and then people try to help them. The difference here? We don't flame people for not reading first (and if anybody does they are WRONG).

Yes, it sucks that people don't read before they try to do hackish stuff to their phone. No, we can't make them read first. All we can do is help them when they come here for help, if it's not too late. But getting mad at a dev for not supporting a particular device because people decide to use his app without reading up first is kinda not fair IMHO. You wouldn't start taking apart the engine of your car without reading up first, right? At the end of the day, agree or not, he doesn't have any responsibility to anyone that bricks their phone using his app. That's an assumed risk you take when hacking your phone. And isn't this a small percentage of the total user base anyway?

All that being said, I hope he replies in a positive way and gets things working the right way for you guys. It would be awesome.

The one x is a decent phone, but I wouldn't consider it a high end flagship phone, I think the one S is more in that category, but I own a virgin mobile optimus v. What do I know. We don't care for rom manager support. We want either no support at all, or properly working support. It has been addressed to him for a year now that rom manager puts an unsupported recovery on some of our phones and nothing will get done about it.

sent from my Nokia 5110

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The one x is a decent phone, but I wouldn't consider it a high end flagship phone, I think the one S is more in that category, but I own a virgin mobile optimus v. What do I know. We don't care for rom manager support. We want either no support at all, or properly working support. It has been addressed to him for a year now that rom manager puts an unsupported recovery on some of our phones and nothing will get done about it.

sent from my Nokia 5110

Considering that the One X is positioned ABOVE the One S by HTC it's a higher-end phone. But I digress. Me bringing up the One X was to prove a point. Someone stated that he seems to only support "high-end" phones and not phones that he would be "embarrassed" to use. The One X is a high-end phone that doesn't have official support from Koush.

So before you come in here all pompous with your "high end flagship phone" telling us low end users to read, maybe you should take your own advice.

I would advise you to not make such assumptions about people here. I used an Optimus T for a while when it first came out. Actually made the very first rooting video for it, and even bricked a phone testing a recovery for it. Pretty sure I can claim to be the person that verified that the same rooting methods worked for it that worked for the Optimus S.

Also, I don't base my opinion of someone on what phone they use, and any attempt to make it seem that way will just look silly.

Reactions: mlson

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Considering that the One X is positioned ABOVE the One S by HTC it's a higher-end phone. But I digress. Me bringing up the One X was to prove a point. Someone stated that he seems to only support "high-end" phones and not phones that he would be "embarrassed" to use. The One X is a high-end phone that doesn't have official support from Koush.

I would advise you to not make such assumptions about people here. I used an Optimus T for a while when it first came out. Actually made the very first rooting video for it, and even bricked a phone testing a recovery for it. Pretty sure I can claim to be the person that verified that the same rooting methods worked for it that worked for the Optimus S.

Also, I don't base my opinion of someone on what phone they use, and any attempt to make it seem that way will just look silly.

Sorry...

sent from my Nokia 5110

Reactions: mlson

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I would say that, yes, there is a certain percentage of people that would start taking apart their car's engine without reading. And I would also say that Koush does bear some of the responsibility, seeing as ROM Manager is said to be compatible with the Optimus V, when it is, in fact, not compatible. When you take into account the fact that he has been informed of this issue many times, and has done nothing, well, that's pretty negligent. Of course he's not obligated to support the OV, and that's not what we're asking for. He's got two options that would make us happy, and of course he's not obligated to choose either, but it would be the right thing to do.

Reactions: mlson and anthonycr

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Where has it ever been stated that Koush is obligated to support and write for each and every phone individually? Or any dev of any app for that matter.

So its okay for him to take their money, brick their phone and leave them with no help?

And this isn't a small percentage.

As to buyer beware, the Play store tells these people that it is compatible. Then soft bricks their phone after the refund period, besides, there is still the whole lack of support.

Were aren't asking him to support it. Support it or don't, but stop taking people's money, bricking their phones and leaving us (and Virgin! ) to clean up the mess. Apps like this that are just another reason they lock down phones. Which like it or not, effects you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18