Operation KRUSH KOUSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Anything happen with sellers86 and koush? I would like to start spamming him if he's still not gonna do anything :p

Ironically, I use rom manager on my optimus m.... pretty useful (when it works).

Sent from my Optimus M

Reactions: bornagainpenguin

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would say that, yes, there is a certain percentage of people that would start taking apart their car's engine without reading. And I would also say that Koush does bear some of the responsibility, seeing as ROM Manager is said to be compatible with the Optimus V, when it is, in fact, not compatible. When you take into account the fact that he has been informed of this issue many times, and has done nothing, well, that's pretty negligent. Of course he's not obligated to support the OV, and that's not what we're asking for. He's got two options that would make us happy, and of course he's not obligated to choose either, but it would be the right thing to do.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

So its okay for him to take their money, brick their phone and leave them with no help?

And this isn't a small percentage.

As to buyer beware, the Play store tells these people that it is compatible. Then soft bricks their phone after the refund period, besides, there is still the whole lack of support.

Were aren't asking him to support it. Support it or don't, but stop taking people's money, bricking their phones and leaving us (and Virgin! ) to clean up the mess. Apps like this that are just another reason they lock down phones. Which like it or not, effects you too.

I don't disagree with either of you, but nobody can be forced to do the "right" thing. What I wonder is this (and I've never looked into it) is if Google can do something about it, or even would care, that an app is causing people to brick phones.

I'm also wondering what level of support you expect from him (or app dev's as a whole). Couldn't this theoretically be chalked up to the "fragmentation" of Android?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree with either of you, but nobody can be forced to do the "right" thing. What I wonder is this (and I've never looked into it) is if Google can do something about it, or even would care, that an app is causing people to brick phones.

I'm also wondering what level of support you expect from him (or app dev's as a whole). Couldn't this theoretically be chalked up to the "fragmentation" of Android?

I'd be happy if all that happened was him listing the OV as unsupported incompatible

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running LS670ZVJ Dante Rom

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

No, you're right, no one can be forced to do the right thing. But public entities can be persuaded with the right approach. Bad PR is not what he wants.

I've definitely considered looking into how Google can intercede, but I think it's appropriate give Koush (yet another) opportunity to fix it first.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, I don't like the idea of peoples' phones getting bricked being chalked up to anything or anybody other than the responsible party. In this case, that would be Koush. And I understand that fragmentation plays a part, but he can fix it, in one of two very easy to implement ways.

Reactions: sammyz

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Fragmentation or not, we aren't asking him to make a new recovery, or change the app or even fix the phones, just for him to do something.... Anything. Other than take peoples money and brick phones.

Asking him to mark it incompatible isn't asking for a lot of support.

I know you want to give him the benefit of doubt, but I'm long past that point as I watched this play out over half a dozen times over the last year.

Reactions: dlinderaz and mlson

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted to him again because there was another thread. He said "how exactly is a black screen a brick?" So I explained again and I am waiting on a reply.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy if all that happened was him listing the OV as unsupported incompatible

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running LS670ZVJ Dante Rom

But how does he just make it incompatible... there is no setting (as far as I'm aware) on the developer console that allows blocking of certain devices. It reads your manifest and decides what devices fit into the category. I also don't even think if there's a way in the manifest to cause the app to not work on the OV. It seems to me that the only way would be for him to hard code into the app when it checks the phone's build.prop that it won't work and abort... that said, I doubt he wants to put that in because it will just cause the people that bought the app for their incompatible phone to complain and rant. It seems like its a whole cycle of problems that he's just ignoring.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
But how does he just make it incompatible... there is no setting (as far as I'm aware) on the developer console that allows blocking of certain devices. It reads your manifest and decides what devices fit into the category. I also don't even think if there's a way in the manifest to cause the app to not work on the OV. It seems to me that the only way would be for him to hard code into the app when it checks the phone's build.prop that it won't work and abort... that said, I doubt he wants to put that in because it will just cause the people that bought the app for their incompatible phone to complain and rant. It seems like its a whole cycle of problems that he's just ignoring.

I'm just asking that he removes the recovery. Easy enough.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You are all very dedicated to the cause, and I appreciate that very much, as does those who are reading this thread but not voicing their opinions, I'm sure.

However, there comes a point where you do what you can do and there isn't anything else that can be done, if that makes sense, and if Koush isn't going to help us out with this, then maybe I need to re-evaluate the way that this forum is executed, what new users are greeted with, and an easier solution to solving the black screen dilemma, even though the steps are easy enough to understand, we have to recognize that some users are just scared of Terminal Emulator, and the sticky post itself is FILLED with stuff, and sort of confusing to follow.

It's frustrating, because I feel like the first time someone attempting to root / ROM their device, which is part of the fun of Android (in my opinion) turning out badly could turn them off to another Android device in the future, and that's not good at all.

Maybe I'm overthinking things. It's important to me that you all voice your opinions on this as well, so feel free to do so.

K

kobequintana

Or we could forget RM (bcuz we survived this long without it) and go to rom toolbox

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not this forum or Rom Toolbox that is the issue, but as long as Rom Manager is listed as a best seller on Play Store, and contains that recovery, you won't fix the problem.

Unless we all start selling ZV4 screens to people who got ZV5 phones. Hahaha jk.

Sent from my Optimus M

dlinderaz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't until I paid for it that I realized the roms available for my phone were either outdated or for a completely different phone in some occasions. It bricked my first phone, I sucked it up, it was my choice for messing with my phone but after purchasing a new phone I decided to not even download an app that cost me at least $135 in damages for having outdated crap in it. Thank you for paying attention to this issue. You have my support. :D

Sent from my LG-VM670

dlinderaz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
No kidding. If if he would accept responsibility and fix and prevent this problem from continuing to happen, I'd be inclined to check out his other products but no way.

Sent from my LG-VM670

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't until I paid for it that I realized the roms available for my phone were either outdated or for a completely different phone in some occasions. It bricked my first phone, I sucked it up, it was my choice for messing with my phone but after purchasing a new phone I decided to not even download an app that cost me at least $135 in damages for having outdated crap in it. Thank you for paying attention to this issue. You have my support. :D

Sent from my LG-VM670

No kidding. If if he would accept responsibility and fix and prevent this problem from continuing to happen, I'd be inclined to check out his other products but no way.

Sent from my LG-VM670

See, that's the issue. He obviously makes a great product. There's no doubt about that, but when it occasionally bricks someone's phone (even a "soft brick"), it becomes a problem. If sellers86 doesn't get any positive response relatively soon, we'll be forced to amp things up a bit. Those who are interested in making something happen, stay tuned...

Reactions: dlinderaz

dlinderaz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
See, that's the issue. He obviously makes a great product. There's no doubt about that, but when it occasionally bricks someone's phone (even a "soft brick"), it becomes a problem. If sellers86 doesn't get any positive response relatively soon, we'll be forced to amp things up a bit. Those who are interested in making something happen, stay tuned...

I asked, I begged, I tried, I cried, did what I was told. After I noticed it was all in vain, I moved on. But I did took my business elsewhere. My loss became his loss.

Sent from my LG-VM670

Status
Not open for further replies.