Operation KRUSH KOUSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have nothing against rom manager, the app is great. But if you are going to let an app brick a device even if you pay for the app, the dev deserves to be forced to refund or even pay for all the devices he caused to be bricked. He wont fix the problem, even when people who paid for the app contact him.
I have an idea. Can someone link every thread/post of anyone who bricked their optimus v by rom manager? You can use these posts when you contact Google about the problem. When they see an app is causing issues like this, Google will most likely do something. If Google doesn't, then we may just need to do more.

Sent from my Optimus M

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Woah, woah. Re-read my post. I never said I wasn't "for" any of this. I am all for it...to a point.

I do care about getting this problem solved, for the better of this forum as well as the Optimus community at large, both of which I care about.

But, when you guys start using words like "attack" and "spam", that doesn't fly with me. There is a civil way to go about this, and it seems like you are all doing that right now, and I've thrown a tweet at him as well, but spamming him and flooding him with angry notes isn't going to help.

All I ask is that you guys keep it clean and professional. No personal attacks, no need to tweet about how "lazy" he is. I can understand why you would want to go that direction, but like I said, it has only been a few days.

Reactions: topdawg661

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Google controls everything on play store. Put together a strong case as to why this application is not only dangerous for the optimus v but other devices as well. And it leads to destroyed phones with the application creator knowing that it damages these devices and still falsely claims it works on said devices luring in buyers,taking their money and destroying their devices. Google can put the product under review to make author remove claims of support and remove outdated materials so they dont damage any more units. he knows his product damages hardware and still doesn't do amything about it to either add proper support or make it so potential buyers who arent compatible get a not supported message. I dont care what he created.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So anyone gonna look for all the posts/threads about rom manager bricking Optimus V's?

Sent from my Optimus M

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Google controls everything on play store. Put together a strong case as to why this application is not only dangerous for the optimus v but other devices as well. (snip)

The amount of botched backups, restores, and rom installs from RM is infuriating. I don't think saying it's dangerous is that far off ;). In reality, it's a needless interface between something that can be done simply, safely, and quickly directly in recovery/CWM.

His custom recovery, for a while, was the gold standard. You know how much money he makes off of all of that recovery/cwm work? Almost nothing. Sure, he's part of CyanogenMod (hence RM is included in any and all CM builds, BTW), but that's not a salaried position. RM is a way for him to bring in income and help out folks to get acquainted with flashing roms. Most importantly, it's a way for rom devs to find a large, established population to disseminate their work to. In that regard, it's absolutely brilliant.

Think of it this way--you go to work 9-5 and get paid far below minimum wage for all the work you do, work that is lauded not only in the work place but in the public square. You resort to moonlighting and selling something that, essentially, is a spin off of what you normally do. Is it your best work? No. Does it work? Generally. But it's putting food on the table and it makes your other work, in some regards, justified. Not only that, that secondary/moonlighting work leads a lot of people to a good amount of enjoyment, and works as a gateway to your other work and others work on top of that. Sure, it has faults, but like I said, by and large, your moonlighting work--as Koush's work with RM is essentially here--allows you to justify what you normally do, on top of other foreseeable and unforeseeable benefits.

Now, I'm not saying that I like the application. I detest it (to a large degree) and advise any flasher in my neck of the woods to ditch ASAP. It causes headaches, hence we have posts like this thread right here. But it also serves some good, and the developer is not malicious in the least with this--at least IMO, from, what I've seen, and my own personal dealings with the dev. Should he be quicker with support? Well, he should, but have you ever looked at the amount of devices he supports? It's unfathomable. Sure, it may be a quick fix--simply make RM incompatible, pull the recovery download, etc. etc. But the dev is clearly a very busy person, so taking his inaction as a sign of purposeful lying, misleading, and fraud simply misses the point and ignores the necessary context of this entire dilemma (IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The amount of botched backups, restores, and rom installs from RM is infuriating. I don't think saying it's dangerous is that far off ;). In reality, it's a needless interface between something that can be done simply, safely, and quickly directly in recovery/CWM.

That being said, calling him a "scam artist" or a "lying bastard" misses the point IMO. His custom recovery, for a while, was the gold standard. You know how much money he makes off of all of that work? Almost nothing. Sure, he's part of CyanogenMod (hence RM is included in any and all CM builds, BTW), but that's not a salaried position. RM is a way for him to bring in income and help out folks to get acquainted with flashing roms. Most importantly, it's a way for rom devs to find a large, established population to disseminate their work to. In that regard, it's absolutely brilliant.

Think of it this way--you go to work 9-5 and get paid far below minimum wage for all the work you do, work that is lauded not only in the work place but in the public square. You resort to moonlighting and selling something that, essentially, is a spin off of what you normally do. Is it your best work? No. Does it work? Generally. But it's putting food on the table and it makes your other work, in some regards, justified. Not only that, that secondary/moonlighting work leads a lot of people to a good amount of enjoyment, and works as a gateway to your other work and others work on top of that. Sure, it has faults, but like I said, by and large, your moonlighting work--as Koush's work with RM is essentially here--allows you to justify what you normally do, on top of other foreseeable and unforeseeable benefits.

Now, I'm not saying that I like the application. I detest it (to a large degree) and advise any flasher in my neck of the woods to ditch ASAP. It causes headaches, hence we have posts like this thread right here. But it also serves some good, and the developer is not malicious in the least with this--at least IMO, from, what I've seen, and my own personal dealings with the dev. Should he be quicker with support? Well, he should, but have you ever looked at the amount of devices he supports? It's unfathomable. Sure, it may be a quick fix--simply make RM incompatible, pull the recovery download, etc. etc. But the dev is clearly a very busy person, so taking his inaction as a sign of purposeful lying, misleading, and fraud simply misses the point and ignores the necessary context of this entire dilemma (IMO).

He makes plenty off of it. Go to the play store and see how many downloads premium has. He's made well over 600,000 off of it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
He makes plenty off of it. Go to the play store and see how many downloads premium has.

Yes, that's RM. That's not his recovery which is his primary work. Let me edit my post to make that clearer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's RM. That's not his recovery which is his primary work. Let me edit my post to make that clearer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

He is the creator of Rom manager. No one else gets paid for it. His $6 app has over 100,000 downloads.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
He is the creator of Rom manager. No one else gets paid for it. His $6 app has over 100,000 downloads.

You're missing my point entirely, unfortunately :-\. His primary work in Android development is his custom recovery. His custom recovery, until the touch ones debuted as a donation flash through RM, are all "free." You can either fastboot them or flash them in the free RM app.

RM is his source of $$, although that is not his primary work. It's now a large chunk of it, but it's not as massive as his contribution to the custom recovery scene. Like I said, CWM was (and in some regards, still is) the bonafide industry standard for custom recoveries. It being free means that all of this great work he does goes unpaid for aside from someone throwing him a donation. RM--the premium key--enables him to recover costs for CWM and RM development, so he's not just doing this while bleeding out funds.

I'm not saying it's not a bad application; rather, I'm only asking that we view in its proper context. I understand you're all upset, and hell, you can count me as one who hates RM--like I've said. But at least understand what it means to the dev, and why it's important for him to get paid because his primary work--which is absolutely massive, and arguably only comparable to devs like his fellow mates at CM--is free.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of this thread is to get the recovery off of Rom manager. That's the only place people are getting it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of this thread is to get the recovery off of Rom manager. That's the only place people are getting it.

Then it should be kept to that point; calling him a scam artist and other personal attacks misses the point and is absolutely needless.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Then it should be kept to that point; calling him a scam artist and other personal attacks misses the point and is absolutely needless.

He IS a scam artist if you want to get technical about it. Claiming to support a phone, which in turn "bricks" it, is scamming. What if the person went ahead and bought premium before they even tried it. We don't care about his primary work in development. We want the recovery removed from Rom manager as that is about the only place to get it. So this whole thread is based on Rom manager. Not his custom recovery. He didn't even build the recovery included, he just put it into his manifest. And he refuses to remove it.

Reactions: curtis1973

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

He knows about the problem, people that own this phone have paid money for RM, bricked it and never got a refund.

Sent from my Optimus M

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
He IS a scam artist if you want to get technical about it. Claiming to support a phone, which in turn "bricks" it, is scamming. What if the person went ahead and bought premium before they even tried it.

I understand how you feel, but we can agree to disagree--particularly since a forum is no place for serious legal discussion :p.

That being said, the app does do a lot more than just flashing a recovery. Sure, that's a huge part and it neuters a lot of it, primarily because RM, to most, is the access point to CWM. I agree with your feelings there--it must be removed or fixed. But RM can be used for other purposes (honestly, those other purposes are the only purposes it should be used for--mainly downloading roms).

Ignore me, you need CWM or else the app is essentially useless.

He knows about the problem, people that own this phone have paid money for RM, bricked it and never got a refund.

Sent from my Optimus M

And is he currently working on it? What is his feedback? Remember, as much as we like to be the center of the universe--this is not exactly a life or death situation.

Last edited:

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I understand how you feel, but we can agree to disagree--particularly since a forum is no place for serious legal discussion :p.

That being said, the app does do a lot more than just flashing a recovery. Sure, that's a huge part and it neuters a lot of it, primarily because RM, to most, is the access point to CWM. I agree with your feelings there--it must be removed or fixed. But RM can be used for other purposes (honestly, those other purposes are the only purposes it should be used for--mainly downloading roms).

Have you ever used Rom manager? You are REQUIRED to flash the recovery to even use any part of it!

Reactions: mlson

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever used Rom manager? You are REQUIRED to flash the recovery to even use any part of it!

Not in quite some time, so my apologies for not using that or realizing that. That sorta makes no sense on some levels though--what the heck does the recovery have to do with downloading a rom?

Edit: just tried it on my phone, and wow, you're right. Well that's silly.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
And is he currently working on it? What is his feedback? Remember, as much as we like to be the center of the universe--this is not exactly a life or death situation.

He is not working on it! That is the problem! He has been contacted multiple times and refuses to fix it! I told him the problem and he said how exactly is a black screen a brick. I got nothing more from him.

Reactions: mlson
Status
Not open for further replies.