09-01-2012 01:07 PM
788 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    @everyone.
    This app 2 ext scripts I provided aren't meant to fix movement of apps to the SD card, after flashing the ROM after you pit the files into it, it automatically moves all apps to the ext partition, just like in quattrimus.
    You can only apply it as directed in the zip I provided(or if Zack adds it to the next build).
    Its app2ext, not app2sd.

I found out that it can only be added to the ROM.zip before install.
    So follow the instructions within the zip, using a computer.

sent from my G-T-R.
    08-10-2012 06:58 PM
    @everyone.
    This app 2 ext scripts I provided aren't meant to fix movement of apps to the SD card, after flashing the ROM after you pit the files into it, it automatically moves all apps to the ext partition, just like in quattrimus.
    You can only apply it as directed in the zip I provided(or if Zack adds it to the next build).
    Its app2ext, not app2sd.

I found out that it can only be added to the ROM.zip before install.
    So follow the instructions within the zip, using a computer.

sent from my G-T-R.
    @nitestalkr can you point me to your zip that you made.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 07:45 PM
    @Zackman, instructions are included in the zip, this is NOT flashable(however, I will include this in all of my patches I made, by Saturday.), and this is to be implemented into the ROM.

Follow this post. ^^

@nitestalkr can you point me to your zip that you made.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

That post up there ^^^

sent from my Zom-"Bean'(CM10 JellyBean).
    r0gu3dev1pr likes this.
    08-10-2012 08:13 PM
    I'm still really stumped on this native app2sd problem. Replaced the vold files, that didnt work, replaced bin files with others from a different rom, that didnt work, replaced librarys, got bootloop :/ dang. This is going to be difficult.
    08-10-2012 11:51 PM
    I'm still really stumped on this native app2sd problem. Replaced the vold files, that didnt work, replaced bin files with others from a different rom, that didnt work, replaced librarys, got bootloop :/ dang. This is going to be difficult.
    what problem? whats happening
    08-10-2012 11:54 PM
    what problem? whats happening
    If you try and move an app to the sd and reboot the app just stops working.
    sellers86 likes this.
    08-11-2012 12:02 AM
    If you try and move an app to the sd and reboot the app just stops working.
    I have never heard of anything like that haha
    08-11-2012 12:06 AM
    Well with the use of the sd-ext, there's 0 need to move apps to the SD card.
    Plus, with 4.0 and up, its kind of a requirement to have an SD-ext for apps, due to the larger ROM sizes on such a small internal storage space.
    If it was needed in ics, then its definitely going to be required on JB. Unless you only use 5-10 apps at most.

08-11-2012 12:38 AM
    Well with the use of the sd-ext, there's 0 need to move apps to the SD card.
    Plus, with 4.0 and up, its kind of a requirement to have an SD-ext for apps, due to the larger ROM sizes on such a small internal storage space.
    If it was needed in ics, then its definitely going to be required on JB. Unless you only use 5-10 apps at most.

how do I format my sd card for that?
    08-11-2012 01:08 AM
    Recovery I believe

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    08-11-2012 01:31 AM
    how do I format my sd card for that?
    There are several ways to partition your sdcard, the quickest and easiest is through your recovery, although it does erase everything on your sdcard(can just transfer everything to and ffrom a computer).
    Another option is to install partition wizard on your computer, create an ext(2, 3 or 4) partition, make it primary, apply changes, and sit back and wait for it to complete. And this method does not format your sdcard.
    I can provide a guide for the partition wizard way if you like.

08-11-2012 01:37 AM
    So noob question here, but what exactly does an SD partition do?

08-11-2012 01:56 AM
    So noob question here, but what exactly does an SD partition do?

It basically adds an extra /data partition, only on your sdcard. Its for more apps

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    08-11-2012 02:04 AM
    It basically adds an extra /data partition, only on your sdcard. Its for more apps

Ah so it basically acts as internal memory?

08-11-2012 02:12 AM

More like external memory, but essentially the same thing. It allows for more apps by using less internal memory.

Sent from my Optimus V via Tapatalk
    sellers86 likes this.
    08-11-2012 02:23 AM

Take this for example. I made an ext and right now I have nine 10mb themes, 15mb facebook app, 4mb apex launcher and some small apps and settings says I've used 2.2mbs.

08-11-2012 02:32 AM
    I think I shall make a partition haha

sellers86 likes this.
    08-11-2012 02:36 AM
    What size partition do you recommend? And is there any way to I guess....delete the partition? If that's the right word lol

08-11-2012 03:26 AM
    Partitioning the SD Card is the same idea as Partitioning the HDD on your computer. You could have programs on your computer like Partition Magic do it or go through your recovery menu. In CWM Green Recovery under advanced is a "Partition SD Card" option.

Partitioning it tricks the OS into think you have an extra physical drive but it's just a reserved area of data on the same HDD.

How big a size depends on the size of your SD Card and how much space you want to have left to play with or spare. Personally I installed Amon-ra Recovery to get an EXT4 partition. Decide which one works for you performance and drawback wise. I have 8 gig Class 10 (high speed) SD Card and I set aside 1 gig for the partition (so I'm left with 7 gigs I can use and 1 exclusively for apps).

ext2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ext3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warning... copy everything on your SD card to your computer first. Partitioning it FORMATS the drive or SD and destroys all your data (unless done with specialized software using the PC). Again... you will LOSE EVERYTHING ON YOUR SD CARD.
    JadenBrown30 likes this.
    08-11-2012 03:58 AM
    As for deleting a partition... you can just REpartition it in the Recovery Menu (same as the process of creating it). Otherwise... look to the PC and specialized software like SwissKnife and run it through the USB or put the SD Card into your PC (if it has a memory reader slot).
    Download SwissKnife 3.22 Free - Easily create or format partitions - Softpedia

You can find other PC alternatives some of which can create or delete partitions without data loss. Most will format your card or drive. One more note... you never get exactly the advertized amount of megs out of a Drive or SD card. Due to the nature of file systems... it's always less.

And for the record... I repartitioned my SD Card once already. I was afraid to change my recovery image for a while. Initially I used CWM Green Recovery 5.0.2.8 and gave myself a 1.5 gig extension (which I believe was EXT2 by default). I later read up on SD partitions and people recommended never going over a gig due to some bug or glitch. No idea if it's true or not but why should you need more than that for apps anyways? Also I wanted the faster EXT4. So I found the latest Amon-ra for OV. This time I partitioned it to simply partitioned it to 1 gig with no swap. After that apply Amon-ra's EXT2 to EXT3 conversion. Then EXT3 to EXT4 conversion. Works great in other roms like Quattrimus that support the SD-EXT. Installing apps automatically puts them in the 1 gig reserved zone unless I manually pushed them to the SD Card (then they go to my 7 gigs free space).
    JadenBrown30 likes this.
    08-11-2012 04:21 AM
    A very simple 4 step procedure that I use with Minitool Partition Wizard:

1.) Connect your Optimus V to your computer and mount the SD card.
    2.) Open Minitool Partition Wizard, resize the SD card, leave 512mb or 1-2gb of free space.
    3.) Create a new ext4 partition with the free space, mark it as primary, apply changes.
    4.) Disconnect your Optimus V and reboot it.

The procedure above does NOT wipe out your SD Card, unlike the Recovery method.
    JadenBrown30 likes this.
    08-11-2012 05:24 AM
    Thank you guys so much for the instructions and advice its greatly appreciated

nitestalkr likes this.
    08-11-2012 05:35 AM
    Thank you guys so much for the instructions and advice its greatly appreciated

No problem, always glad to help, and make complicated things a lot easier for people.
    JadenBrown30 likes this.
    08-11-2012 05:45 AM
    How would I move apps 2 my partition

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    08-11-2012 08:41 AM
    How would I move apps 2 my partition

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    You dont move them, the scripts move them for you automatically, even upon install of new apps, instead of them installing to /data/apps they install to /sd-ext/data/apps (<-- may not be exact location, just an example) all by themselves.

08-11-2012 08:47 AM
788 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD