[ROM][WIP-ALPHA7][CM10 PORT] Jelly for Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well with the use of the sd-ext, there's 0 need to move apps to the SD card.
Plus, with 4.0 and up, its kind of a requirement to have an SD-ext for apps, due to the larger ROM sizes on such a small internal storage space.
If it was needed in ics, then its definitely going to be required on JB. Unless you only use 5-10 apps at most.

sent from my Zom-"Bean'(CM10 JellyBean).

Zakman

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][WIP][CM10 PORT] Jelly for Optimus V

Well with the use of the sd-ext, there's 0 need to move apps to the SD card.
Plus, with 4.0 and up, its kind of a requirement to have an SD-ext for apps, due to the larger ROM sizes on such a small internal storage space.
If it was needed in ics, then its definitely going to be required on JB. Unless you only use 5-10 apps at most.

how do I format my sd card for that?

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
how do I format my sd card for that?

There are several ways to partition your sdcard, the quickest and easiest is through your recovery, although it does erase everything on your sdcard(can just transfer everything to and ffrom a computer).
Another option is to install partition wizard on your computer, create an ext(2, 3 or 4) partition, make it primary, apply changes, and sit back and wait for it to complete. And this method does not format your sdcard.
I can provide a guide for the partition wizard way if you like.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Ah so it basically acts as internal memory?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Take this for example. I made an ext and right now I have nine 10mb themes, 15mb facebook app, 4mb apex launcher and some small apps and settings says I've used 2.2mbs. :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JadenBrown30

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
What size partition do you recommend? And is there any way to I guess....delete the partition? If that's the right word lol

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Master Gowa

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Partitioning the SD Card is the same idea as Partitioning the HDD on your computer. You could have programs on your computer like Partition Magic do it or go through your recovery menu. In CWM Green Recovery under advanced is a "Partition SD Card" option.

Partitioning it tricks the OS into think you have an extra physical drive but it's just a reserved area of data on the same HDD.

How big a size depends on the size of your SD Card and how much space you want to have left to play with or spare. Personally I installed Amon-ra Recovery to get an EXT4 partition. Decide which one works for you performance and drawback wise. I have 8 gig Class 10 (high speed) SD Card and I set aside 1 gig for the partition (so I'm left with 7 gigs I can use and 1 exclusively for apps).

ext2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ext3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warning... copy everything on your SD card to your computer first. Partitioning it FORMATS the drive or SD and destroys all your data (unless done with specialized software using the PC). Again... you will LOSE EVERYTHING ON YOUR SD CARD.

Reactions: JadenBrown30

Master Gowa

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

As for deleting a partition... you can just REpartition it in the Recovery Menu (same as the process of creating it). Otherwise... look to the PC and specialized software like SwissKnife and run it through the USB or put the SD Card into your PC (if it has a memory reader slot).
Download SwissKnife 3.22 Free - Easily create or format partitions - Softpedia

You can find other PC alternatives some of which can create or delete partitions without data loss. Most will format your card or drive. One more note... you never get exactly the advertized amount of megs out of a Drive or SD card. Due to the nature of file systems... it's always less.

And for the record... I repartitioned my SD Card once already. I was afraid to change my recovery image for a while. Initially I used CWM Green Recovery 5.0.2.8 and gave myself a 1.5 gig extension (which I believe was EXT2 by default). I later read up on SD partitions and people recommended never going over a gig due to some bug or glitch. No idea if it's true or not but why should you need more than that for apps anyways? Also I wanted the faster EXT4. So I found the latest Amon-ra for OV. This time I partitioned it to simply partitioned it to 1 gig with no swap. After that apply Amon-ra's EXT2 to EXT3 conversion. Then EXT3 to EXT4 conversion. Works great in other roms like Quattrimus that support the SD-EXT. Installing apps automatically puts them in the 1 gig reserved zone unless I manually pushed them to the SD Card (then they go to my 7 gigs free space).

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

A very simple 4 step procedure that I use with Minitool Partition Wizard:

1.) Connect your Optimus V to your computer and mount the SD card.
2.) Open Minitool Partition Wizard, resize the SD card, leave 512mb or 1-2gb of free space.
3.) Create a new ext4 partition with the free space, mark it as primary, apply changes.
4.) Disconnect your Optimus V and reboot it.

The procedure above does NOT wipe out your SD Card, unlike the Recovery method.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
How would I move apps 2 my partition

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

You dont move them, the scripts move them for you automatically, even upon install of new apps, instead of them installing to /data/apps they install to /sd-ext/data/apps (<-- may not be exact location, just an example) all by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.