04-27-2012 03:32 PM
673 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    changing from 2g to 3g also temporarily drops signal from what I've seen. This could mean you miss a call or similar situation happens with data being temporarily dropped.

I will say that 2g vs 3g, 2g definitely uses far less battery than 3g, but I can't say that an auto switching app would work well enough to make me use it.
    03-16-2011 02:39 PM
    50%fix is just bandaid but since there is no real fix on horizon why not use it it is just 12sec on boot. And it saves batt.

2g-3g need to be enabled in kernel anyway, I think it is working with CM but in Xionia is not enabled.
    03-16-2011 02:54 PM
    I agree that it would be nice to have the option of 2G, but I don't think it saves any battery life unless you are using data. If the phone is idle, it doesn't matter which you have enabled. Also, switching between 2G and 3G every time the screen turns on would result in all your incoming voip calls being dropped. Where would we be without free unlimited minutes

http://blog.famzah.net/2010/05/24/2g...mobile-phones/
    03-16-2011 03:04 PM
    Why does the tethering not work?
    Can't get it working using widgetsoid
    A good majority of the time I have no internet access as well
    3g off and on solution doesn't work either
    03-16-2011 06:12 PM
    I agree that it would be nice to have the option of 2G, but I don't think it saves any battery life unless you are using data. If the phone is idle, it doesn't matter which you have enabled. Also, switching between 2G and 3G every time the screen turns on would result in all your incoming voip calls being dropped. Where would we be without free unlimited minutes

2G GPRS vs. 3G UMTS connection battery usage on mobile phones /contrib/famzah
    This was a very interesting article, thanks for sharing. Although it looks like he updated it to say that it does in fact use more power, but I can't imagine anyone not using data on this particular phone.
    03-16-2011 06:25 PM
    This was a very interesting article, thanks for sharing. Although it looks like he updated it to say that it does in fact use more power, but I can't imagine anyone not using data on this particular phone.
    Well, the the update says that the Iphone uses more power while in a call and the 3G is on. So you would only save power if switching to 2G before making or receiving calls on the Iphone.

I suspect even this limited case is Iphone specific. The Iphone routes calls through 3G so that you can surf the web while talking. If you'll notice on the Optimus V, the 3G is disabled while making phone calls.

As it states in the article, if you are using 2G for regular data use on the Optimus V, the advantage of lower battery draw will be completely eliminated by the slower download speeds which will require you to leave data transfers running longer. And when in the idle state, 3G and 2G both draw the same amount of power. So really, in no situation is the 2G better than 3G for battery usage.

I think where people are seeing the benefit to switching to 2G on the Optimus V is in disabling and re-enabling their wireless radio in the process. This has the side effect of fixing the 50% standby issue. I bet if they then switched back again to 3G, they would get even better battery life.

At least that is my opinion
    03-16-2011 06:53 PM
    I get pretty good battery life with 3g on all the time, so I'm not as worried, plus 2g is so slow, that his argument about it taking longer to download and thus eating more power is very very plausible. I'll stick with 3g unless I want to set it to 2g for a whole day or something.
    03-16-2011 06:58 PM
    I just use JuiceDefender to turn 3G off when not in use. Saves a lot of battery for me.
    03-16-2011 07:59 PM
    I just use JuiceDefender to turn 3G off when not in use. Saves a lot of battery for me.
    I've actually found that using Tasker to disable 3G when I'm on my home WiFi saves even more battery. I've used it for a few tricks like that, my battery seems to last much longer now (Though I doubt I could push any more than a full 24 hours out of it).
    03-16-2011 08:02 PM
    I'm pretty sure that when wifi is enabled AND active, 3G is automatically turned off. At least that is what Juice Defense makes it sound like in the notification bar.
    03-16-2011 08:08 PM
    I'm pretty sure that when wifi is enabled AND active, 3G is automatically turned off. At least that is what Juice Defense makes it sound like in the notification bar.
    Well, I believe that's only if you're using JuiceDefender or something like I have set up.
    03-16-2011 08:21 PM
    I think that's default behaviour

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-16-2011 08:39 PM
    this ROM works well, bluetooth is a little weird (sometimes it only connects in phone mode, rather than stereo BT mode as well).

Wifi, and everything else is great.

The 3G cutting out is a problem, but its something I've had with all ROMs including the stock. I guess its either the phone or Virgin's towers that are the issue.

Thanks for Rodimus
    03-16-2011 09:17 PM
    Maybe it's a kernel issue? Don't all these roms use xiona? Including ginger roms?

03-16-2011 10:03 PM
    Stock doesn't use that kernel.
    03-16-2011 11:49 PM
    my update on BUGS

bluetooth doesn't pair with my Car navigation - Pioneer F900BT
    if is F900BT discover mode phone doesn't offer window to input PIN just displaying pairing error than force close phone BT.
    if Optimus V is in discover mode and F900BT try connect => force close phone BT.

Latitude
    Google Latitude doesn't auto update position in backround with this ROM, location services over wifi/3g. only works if i turn gps on

Please include in next update
    to fix stand by 50% : [APP] 50% time without a signal fix - 2/2/2011 - xda-developers
    to check minutes with one click (showing minutes also if somebody rings): Minutes Checker: Virgin Mobile by JAY GOEL

Please add
    automatic switch
    if screen off => switch to 2G
    if screen on => switch to 3G
    when is screen off it can slowly synchronize we don't care how fast because we are not looking anyway. we will save lot of battery time.

Please comment or add another suggestions.
    Thank you
    Same head unit, same issue lol... And as far as someone was saying about us messing something up, the gingerbread ROM for the optimus v has "Bluetooth pairing" listed as one of the not working issues right at the bottom of the thread lol... there is obviously an issue with custom ROMS and bluetooth for the optimus V...
    03-17-2011 04:13 AM
    JFYI, I don't have that head unit. My car (2005 Acura) came with BT, and that's what I can't pair with. But your experience does seem to imply that it's something in the handshaking causing the FC.
    03-17-2011 05:44 AM
    Its bluetooth pairing it self, its not working with audio devices and mmmark111 is working on a fix as we speak.
    03-17-2011 11:37 AM
    Its bluetooth pairing it self, its not working with audio devices and mmmark111 is working on a fix as we speak.
    It looks like mmmark111 didn't contribute single comment for more than week. Either is he super busy or rom is abandoned.

www.metrication.us
    03-18-2011 12:54 PM
    It looks like mmmark111 didn't contribute single comment for more than week. Either is he super busy or rom is abandoned.
    Seriously? One week does not equal abandoned, particularly when one of his last comments was that he would be taking a few days off. On top of that, he edited the OP two days ago.
    03-18-2011 01:38 PM

The prior.....
    03-18-2011 11:04 PM
    Appreciate your time and effort! GREAT rom

03-18-2011 11:17 PM
    Still want my question answered... Lol
    03-18-2011 11:31 PM
    I wanted to ask, any progress on the Notification bar text color for the blue theme? (Notification bar is black, text is black.) I know you said you've been trying to work on it before, any luck yet? This is the only thing that I would like to see changed, then it would be perfect in my eyes.
    03-19-2011 12:05 AM
    Two questions on the status bar, not even requests for fix's... just questions to be answered, you would think this would be easy enough... yes no?
    03-19-2011 12:07 AM
673 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD