04-27-2012 03:32 PM
673 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Did the fly in animation cause trouble? I liked them. But if they caused lag issues. I can and will happily live without.

I am trying to trim my apps. Can I remove swype without harm? I started using gingerbread keyboard from the market.
    Yep, nandroid and just remove /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod as well as /system/app/swype.apk and you're good to go.
    04-03-2011 09:39 PM
    Did the fly in animation cause trouble? I liked them. But if they caused lag issues. I can and will happily live without.

I am trying to trim my apps. Can I remove swype without harm? I started using gingerbread keyboard from the market.
    For me, fly-in was super laggy unless I was at 600mhz or overclocked. So when the battery started to drain and I slowed the CPU to conserve battery it was very laggy/jumpy/choppy.

What's good about the Gingerbread keyboard that you think is better than swype?
    04-03-2011 09:40 PM
    For me, fly-in was super laggy unless I was at 600mhz or overclocked. So when the battery started to drain and I slowed the CPU to conserve battery it was very laggy/jumpy/choppy.

What's good about the Gingerbread keyboard that you think is better than swype?
    Underclocking won't reduce battery usage, unfortunately.

I have not tested them, but a user over at XDA made some metamorph themes in case anyone wants to add them back.

[MORPH] Transition Animations v0.1 BETA (Bounce, Flip, Fly, Stock) *3/7/11* - xda-developers
    04-03-2011 09:43 PM
    Underclocking won't reduce battery usage, unfortunately.
    Isn't power draw a function of CPU speed?
    04-03-2011 09:47 PM
    I like typing rather than swyping, when I typed on swype it would lag behind me. I now think it was a lag issue not swype itself. The stock and gingerbread keyboards error correct more correctly. I don't have to backspace as much. However they do take up more screen with an extra row for punctuation. I am still testing it out.

Edit
    After using stock and gingerbread keyboards they are virtually the same. Gingerbread having some cool UI improvements over froyo. I like the color and improvements but I will stick with the stock over either Swype or Gingerbread keyboards.
    04-03-2011 09:50 PM
    Yeah, I liked the fly-in animations. I'm assuming that when it says they were removed, they were removed, and not just made a toggle option, correct?

Edit: OK, that's what I get for pausing to pay attention to the TV in the middle of writing my post. I see from mmmark111's most recent comment that they would need to be added in. Nevermind.

04-03-2011 09:53 PM
    Isn't power draw a function of CPU speed?
    Yes, and no.
    There is a balance to be struck. The problem is that using variable frequency also uses juice, time and processing power. You can create an initial lag/power spike each time it changes frequencies. Also, more speed requires exponentially more power, while going down, you don't recover power exponentially, so going too far on either is actually bad as well for juice.

In a desktop, you don't worry about how much power you are using so long as you get teh speed, ina phone or laptop you have to balance juice vs. performance.

Read this whole thread for some interesting and surprising results.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...-part-2-a.html

Some of the results lead me to wonder if these phones don't automatically throttle the cpu (in either speed or votage) and doing it with an app is conflicting with it.
    04-03-2011 09:55 PM
    So what does it mean in the notes for v3 when it says "Widget apps removed"?

04-03-2011 10:11 PM
    So what does it mean in the notes for v3 when it says "Widget apps removed"?

There were 2 clock widgets included with v1 and v2. v3 has them removed.
    04-03-2011 10:14 PM
    To remove Launcher Pro do I just remove the apk from data/data/sys/app? or are there any other files to remove too? I use ADW EX so I am just trying to remove what I do not need. This is an awesome Rom and I am loving it!
    04-03-2011 10:30 PM
    To remove Launcher Pro do I just remove the apk from data/data/sys/app? or are there any other files to remove too? I use ADW EX so I am just trying to remove what I do not need. This is an awesome Rom and I am loving it!
    I downloaded Launcher Pro from the market, I didn't know it was already built in. I wonder if I uninstall the downloaded one if it'll still be there.
    04-03-2011 10:51 PM
    To remove Launcher Pro do I just remove the apk from data/data/sys/app? or are there any other files to remove too? I use ADW EX so I am just trying to remove what I do not need.
    LauncherPro is stored in /system/app on this ROM. You can remove LauncherPro-0.8.3.apk as well as /data/data/com.fede.launcher (after a nandroid).

If you're looking to free up app space though, deleting LauncherPro won't help. It is stored on the system partition with this ROM. Apps downloaded are stored on the data partition.

However, there is a good 44-50 mb free on the system partition. An option for everyone is to move apps you don't plan on uninstalling any time soon to /system/app. If you reboot after the move, the app should function normally. But I recommend making a titanium backup just in case.
    04-03-2011 10:54 PM
    I downloaded Launcher Pro from the market, I didn't know it was already built in. I wonder if I uninstall the downloaded one if it'll still be there.
    When the ROM boots for the first time it asks you if you want to use Launcher Pro or the stock launcher
    04-03-2011 10:55 PM
    When the ROM boots for the first time it asks you if you want to use Launcher Pro or the stock launcher
    Crap, I thought I'd have the option to use it later. Can I uninstall the one I downloaded and go to LauncherPro that's integrated with Rodimus?
    04-03-2011 10:59 PM
    When you installed it you most likely just updated the one that's already there.
    04-03-2011 11:04 PM
    When you installed it you most likely just updated the one that's already there.
    What is 10 characters?
    04-03-2011 11:07 PM
    What is 10 characters?
    Haha, I messed up and thats just a common placeholder used in forums.
    04-03-2011 11:08 PM
    Yup, I uninstalled it and LP was still there, but the earlier version. I redownloaded the newer version again. Thanks.

BTW, is there any way to disable wifi scanning unless I select rescan from the menu? It constantly scans for networks even though I'm connected to my router, and I'm at home all day and never use a different AP ever.
    04-03-2011 11:14 PM
    Yup, I uninstalled it and LP was still there, but the earlier version. I redownloaded the newer version again. Thanks.

BTW, is there any way to disable wifi scanning unless I select rescan from the menu? It constantly scans for networks even though I'm connected to my router, and I'm at home all day and never use a different AP ever.
    How do you know it's still scanning?
    04-03-2011 11:18 PM
    How do you know it's still scanning?
    Because when it's on the networks screen the list is updated every 5 seconds I am connected to a network while it is doing this.
    04-03-2011 11:26 PM
    How do I make a donation? You're quite a helpful person!
    04-03-2011 11:35 PM
    Because when it's on the networks screen the list is updated every 5 seconds I am connected to a network while it is doing this.
    It's only refreshing because you're on that screen. Navigating away from it will cease the refresh.

Also, when not connected to a network and have wifi turned on, I have the ROM set to rescan every 3 minutes (assuming you're not on the network select screen)
    04-03-2011 11:36 PM
    How do I make a donation? You're quite a helpful person!
    Link is in my signature
    04-03-2011 11:37 PM
    Made a donation, I hope it helps! I really want to see some updates to this amazing ROM, and thank you for your help!
    mmmark111 likes this.
    04-03-2011 11:42 PM
    Made a donation, I hope it helps! I really want to see some updates to this amazing ROM, and thank you for your help!
    You're the best! Check you PM inbox.
    04-03-2011 11:49 PM
673 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD