ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I'm too bust at the moment to do anything with this rom, and many others have long since passed this up. Links are broken. Frankly, other roms are a better use of your time.

DISCLAIMER: I make no guarantees about anything, especially this rom. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to you or your phone, especially after using this software. It's experimental, and may never be finished.

This is a custom ROM that includes the Xionia Kernel. All credit for the kernel goes to zefie. For more information about the kernel, see THIS thread. This will get anyone who wants to use the Xionia kernel with a V up and running.

Most of the kernels for the Optimus S work for the Optimus V, but V users have been having two main problems:

- The Home/Menu keys are reversed.
- The accelerometer is broken.

The Rom attached fixes both problems.

This Rom is a BETA. Please don't download or use it unless you are confident you know what you are doing. As always, MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH THEM!! In the spirit of sharing, you can use the rom anyway want. It would make a great base for another rom. Just give credit for the kernel to zefie. MAKE SURE YOU WIPE YOUR CACHE AND DALVIK CACHE AFTER FLASHING THIS ROM! (THE WIPE MENU IN THE CUSTOM RECOVERY)

Rom info:
- Xionia 005 Kernel
- VM crapware removed (No WHERE, Air chat, etc)
- Boot Logo and sound are gone
- Deodexed
- ZipAligned
- Not overclocked (but the kernel IS overclockable using SetCpu or similar)
- Optimus S themes will not work with this rom.
- Overclockable up to 864Mhz (No guarantees on how fast your particular processor will go. Mine is only stable up to 825.)
- CIFS support
- Tons of speed tweaks (see the thread linked above for full details)

History:

B2
Disabled Stagefright (wasn't meant to be enabled in the first place. The rom is supposed to be mostly stock.)
Rom no longer wipes data on install since users were reporting that it worked fine anyway
Removed Kernel only download

B1
Initial Release

Details for the tech inclined:
The key mapping issue can be solved at both the kernel and the rom level. This solves it at the rom level.The reason V users were having the accelerometer issue in the first place is because the hardware initialization in the ramdisk changed between the V and the S. I am currently working on changes to the kernel that will make the modified ramdisk unnecessary and change the key mapping at the kernel level, but no promises on if or when that will ever get done. The V source may be released before then. In the mean time, just know that the ram disk and kernel must be used together in order to ensure the accelerometer works on the V. Any other rom you use may wipe the ramdisk and break the accelerometer again.

Here is the link:
VM ROM + Xionia Kernel (Fixed accelerometer and keymapping, no crapware)
HERE
(If it 404s, try again in 5 minutes. Dropbox is syncing)

Let me know if you have any problems in the comments. Keep in mind this is a beta, so there probably will be problems.

Last edited:

Lenoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow this thing is stupid fast. I ran it with the stock speed and it was definitely better than stock, but when I overclocked it to 748 max it is like a different phone.

I am having a problem getting the screen to timeout all the way. I had this same problem with the rodimus rom. I am thinking there is something I need to restore in titanium backup. I also noticed a little more heat coming from the phone than normal, I guess thats to be expected. If I am overclocking and putting different roms on my phone, are there any health issues, like increased radiation from phone?

Thanks again for a great rom. I will continue testing other parts and respond if necessary.

munkyvirus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is awesome. Stable at 825. Quick question, can I use the Gingerbread theme from the Lego ROM thread over this, or will it cause problems?

Franzferdinan51

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
flashed it and had problems with the launcher crashing im going to try and reflash and make sure i clear the Data and cash this time to see if that fixxes the problem'

anyone else have this problem
?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is awesome. Stable at 825. Quick question, can I use the Gingerbread theme from the Lego ROM thread over this, or will it cause problems?

You SHOULD be able to, but that's untested. I believe the worst that could happen is you simply have to reflash the rom if it breaks.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow this thing is stupid fast. I ran it with the stock speed and it was definitely better than stock, but when I overclocked it to 748 max it is like a different phone.

I am having a problem getting the screen to timeout all the way. I had this same problem with the rodimus rom. I am thinking there is something I need to restore in titanium backup. I also noticed a little more heat coming from the phone than normal, I guess thats to be expected. If I am overclocking and putting different roms on my phone, are there any health issues, like increased radiation from phone?

Thanks again for a great rom. I will continue testing other parts and respond if necessary.

All of the speed comes from the kernel, so you have zefie to thank for that.

As far as the screen timeout, I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm betting if it's happening on more than one rom it's hardware related. I haven't checked out romidus rom yet (shame on me, I'll do it today!) so I can't comment on that, but this rom restores the entire system to your phone. Nothing necessary should be missing. Try using takehull's method to go completely back to stock, and see if you still have a problem. If you do, return the phone.

Regarding health concerns, the radiation of the phone comes from the radio which is the part that talks to cell phone towers. The specs for that part are unchanged, so there shouldn't be any more or less radiation.

More battery heat is to be expected when overclocking the phone. A faster processor requires more juice. Most overclocking utilities have some sort of safeguard to slow the processor down if the battery gets excessively hot. I don't know offhand what a "safe" temperature is, but you can google it and find something that works for you. In my experience, the phone never got hot enough to cause any problems. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Lenoh's screen time-out problem may be an isolated incident. I have tried sublimewulf's stock and optimized ROM over at XDA and mmmark111's RodimusROM and I have not come across any screen time-out issues.
Lenoh, have you had that problem when you first got the phone before any rooting? If so, it must be hardware related.

Arcsech

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I flashed ThundeROM, which worked but broke voicemail notifications and SMS, so I NANDroid restored and flashed this. Works perfectly, much faster, especially with OC (even though I'm not using nearly the highest setting) and the batter life seems to be about the same with some smart use of SetCPU profiles.

Thanks!

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
sry newb here. just rooted my phone..how do I install the rom and kernel?

After you root your phone (which basically gives you administrator permissions to do whatever you want to it), you need to install what is called a "custom recovery". A custom recovery is a program that can run right as you boot your phone in order to install new software, make backups, etc. Once that is installed, you can then copy the zip folder posted above to your phone, and install a new rom on your phone.

Here's a link that shows you how to install a custom recovery on the optimus V.

After that, you'll simply boot into the custom recovery (instructions on how to do that are found on the same link), and then select "flash zip file". Select the file and the rom will install.

Not to discourage you from doing this, as hacking this phone is a ton of fun, but do a little reading on the Optimus S hacking/roms forum before you try it so that you'll feel more comfortable and have a better understanding of what's going on.

Last edited:

cpiddy

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i am not having any luck flashing new kernels. they all freeze at the lg logo and i have to restore from nandroid. has anyone tried flashing just the kernel and not the rom and have it be successful?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i am not having any luck flashing new kernels. they all freeze at the lg logo and i have to restore from nandroid. has anyone tried flashing just the kernel and not the rom and have it be successful?

What rom are you using out of curiosity? I'll see if I can't figure out what's up.

munkyvirus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What problems did the theme have? I'll take a look and see what's going on.

Wouldn't boot. It got stuck on the boot logo where the android logo flashes. It wasn't flashing, so I let it sit for about 10 minutes, thinking "Oh, I cleared the cache, that means its gonna take forever." But then I pulled the battery and reflashed the ROM.

Oh, and by chance do you have stagefright enabled for this? Cuz if so, it's causing YouTube problems.

Last edited:

tonisama

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Had trouble with the accelerometer when flashing Xionia over the stock rom, but this rom + kernel works great. Will you be updating to Xionia 006?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Had trouble with the accelerometer when flashing Xionia over the stock rom, but this rom + kernel works great. Will you be updating to Xionia 006?

Have to determine if I can make 006 work with the V first. There was an update to the S which changed some drivers, meaning zefie had to customize the same file I did to make the kernel work for the S. If I can reconcile both sets of changes into one, then yes. If I can't... 005 might be the best we can do until a V specific kernel arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.