ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Couple of questions from someone new to installing ROMS..

1. Before installing the new ROM my internal phone memory had about 45mb available, after installing it is steady at 19MB without installing anything new. Is this normal?

2. What program is best to overclock the cpu?

Thanks!

teki9

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

1. Before installing the new ROM my internal phone memory had about 45mb available, after installing it is steady at 19MB without installing anything new. Is this normal?

Thanks!

1. I had the same issue, but App2SD allows you to transfer Apps to your SD Card, so internal isnt that important.

2. SetCPU, yes you have to pay for it but it's worth it my friend.

-teki

ps: happy valentines day!

Reactions: RevolutionRed

mikeladue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I saw the same thing at first, because it looked like the amount of system memory usage had doubled.

So I wiped data and cache and then reapplied the ROM. It wiped out all of my apps, but system memory usage had gone back to normal.

tremulos

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
ok so setcpu is free for all xda members so go make an account and get it for free.

i can safely overclock to 825 on this kernal i havent even tried to go higher.

love the rom,

linpack scores: overclock
Mflops: 7.311 9.665
Time 11.47 8.67
Norm Res: 5.68 5.68
Precision: 2.2

quadrant standard: 5.88 thats on a normal load

Last edited:
Reactions: RevolutionRed

ARP

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This may be a really dumb question, but is the kernel part of the ROM itself? In other words, if I don't like this and want to switch back to my old ROM and stock kernel, do I just need to reflash the ROM? Or will I have to do something special to backup the stock kernel?

tremulos

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Adb? Why bother its an apk copy to sdcard install from your fav file manager. Vwalla
...... any way quadrant jumped to 928 after enabling stagefright jit abd harfware accell with the flashable buildprop from my ols optimus s thunder rom

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Cput tuner is free, but you'll need to enter all the allowed frequencies manually (I'll get a list up on the first post so people can do this), and isn't as slick or as reliable in my opinion as setcpu. However, to see what it processor can do for a little while, it's good enough.

As far as the memory usage, that could be caused by two things that I can think of. First, you need to clear your cache. Second, you're coming from another rom such as nRom or Thunderom that supports dalvik to cache, which moves several files into you cache partition, freeing up more memory. This rom (being fairly close to stock) does not have that feature, and will move all the files back into your phone memory. However, it's a fairly easy mod to do if you want to do it manually, or if want to create your own rom where that's supported you can use this one as a base. I don't mind a bit. Give credit for the kernel to zefie.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This may be a really dumb question, but is the kernel part of the ROM itself? In other words, if I don't like this and want to switch back to my old ROM and stock kernel, do I just need to reflash the ROM? Or will I have to do something special to backup the stock kernel?

Not a dumb question at all. Some ROMs include a custom kernel while others do not. The thread that has information about the ROM should tell you whether a custom kernel is included or not. Barring that, crack open the zip file the ROM comes in and look and see if it includes a boot.img file. If it does, that it also includes a custom kernel.

Boot.img contains the kernel and other important start up files
System.img contains the applications and drivers.

While this ROM as is does contain the kernel, you could easily strip it out if you wanted using a rom kitchen. Conversely, you could put this kernel in with the stock rom (and have the keymapping issue)..

Basically, if you did a nandroid backup before flashing a new rom, or downloaded a stock backup from somewhere which includes both the boot.img and system.img, you can always get back to stock. Just restore the backup and both the kernel and rom will be back to stock.

Reactions: ARP

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Adb? Why bother its an apk copy to sdcard install from your fav file manager. Vwalla
...... any way quadrant jumped to 928 after enabling stagefright jit abd harfware accell with the flashable buildprop from my ols optimus s thunder rom

I think it's important to note the reason the quadrant scores are so high with stagefright enabled is that a bug in stagefright causes quadrant to skip the h.264 decoding test (run quadrant with and without stagefright enabled and you can see this happen), so it gets a ridiculously high score since it did it in zero seconds (I've had scores well over 1300 using various test builds with stagefright enabled and while overclocked, and I think some others have even gotten into the 1500 range).

While enabling stagefright does add a few new features (like shoutcast streams), it also causes some bugs like the one above and green lines in youtube videos. It makes very little actual performance difference, so use whatever works for you.

samusishere1

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ditto

I am a newbe as well and i have the phone rooted but would like to know how to install the custom kernel and rom. i would really appreciate any help. even if you can link me to another page explaining it would be fantastic:) thanks:)

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am a newbe as well and i have the phone rooted but would like to know how to install the custom kernel and rom. i would really appreciate any help. even if you can link me to another page explaining it would be fantastic:) thanks:)

Dig through this thread. Additionally, look at the Optimus S hacking section on this site. The two phones are almost identical, so nearly everything you read there applies to the V.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
how can you change numbers or top up with this rom if it doesnt have the virgin apps?!?

VirginMobile provides ways to change your number and top-up on their website. Log into your account and you can do it from there. If you need to change your MDN manually, you can do it by entering ##VIRGIN# in the dialer.

ohfivepro

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help with the optimus V one quick question. since i installed this rom the android market is the older version and it would fc with an error (process com.android.vending) has stopped unxpectedly. after downloading an app. what do you think could be the cause and can you force upgrade the market app?

BillyBlanco

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
VirginMobile provides ways to change your number and top-up on their website. Log into your account and you can do it from there. If you need to change your MDN manually, you can do it by entering ##VIRGIN# in the dialer.

ok, this is the scenario... you are really helpful so i thought i would run it by you. i want to go get a mytouch tomorrow and im giving this phone to my girlfriend. she already has a virgin mobile account and spent $30 today topping the other phone up. she wanted to import her number and account to this phone... how could i go about doing that? the method above?

danhalen

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say a quick thanks for the rom and the helpful comments in the thread. Made installing and everything incredibly easy for a new android user. Thanks!!

Lenoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, this is the scenario... you are really helpful so i thought i would run it by you. i want to go get a mytouch tomorrow and im giving this phone to my girlfriend. she already has a virgin mobile account and spent $30 today topping the other phone up. she wanted to import her number and account to this phone... how could i go about doing that? the method above?

The website is down for me right now,but I'm pretty sure there is a way to do it on the website. You also could call C.S. they are generally very helpful and friendly, and should be able to switch you over with little hassle.

If you are going with the 4g mytouch believe me you will love it. It's the reason I bought this phone. I had a blackberry before but my aunt was looking to replace her phone, so I looked at all the phones and the 4g was clear winner for her. In the process of learning about the phone and android I got bit by the bug, and snatched up a android of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.