ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Grab an app called move2sd enabler and youll be able to move3 practically any damn thing you want! Just set it to save to external always and your set!

Used this, ends up breaking all my app installs and I have to reflash

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
lame, rocket bunnies just makes the phone restart when its being installed. It did this when the phone was bone stock too, before flashing. Stupid ArmV7 requirement.

Gutterball

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess thats why battle bears won't work either! That sucks! I really wanted to try that! It does the same thing during install the phone reboots!

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My take is that if you want to keep it clean, people would understand, I mean, you are doing this all in your spare time, and it is very much appreciated.

However, the thread here:

[GPL][updated 03.02.2011] Kernel with minimized touchscreen bug - xda-developers

mentions:

"Now hack is not dirty, just found that driver has native implementation of "sleep".
Result: 15-30% cpu use with tap down."

I think the OP tried to cross out the part where he was using some sorta work around...

I'm just not quite sure what he did, as it looks like he has a separate kernel there with other tweaks included (probably as you have tweaked this kernel)...

Yep, sorry if I wasn't clear. It has nothing to do with wanting to keep it clean or anything, the kernel is "hacked to bits" as is. The main touchscreen bug is found in the Android OS (which is not necessarily phone specific), not in the kernel where the touchscreen driver is (which is phone specific). That's why so many different phones where affected. This kernel already has similar tweaks, and while I wouldn't call them hacks or workarounds, it's not directly attacking the source of the problem. I mean, 15-30% is still a huge amount of cpu. Imagine if your computer required 30% cpu just to move the mouse around on the screen. You'd think something was seriously broken. And you'd be right. 30% percent is still a lot better than 100%, which is where we were before, but still on the high side. Supposedly, the problem is fixed in 2.3, but I've not got around to testing it.

Just to emphasize for anyone wondering (I see it's still a topic of conversation in the thread), this kernel ALREADY has tweaks for the touchscreen. Until we get Android 2.3, you will always see spikes of 15%-50% when using the touchscreen. I know this is less than ideal, but it's not a kernel issue, is an Android 2.2 (and prior) issue. The stock phone would occasionally spike to 100%, so we are doing better than stock.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did......and re-enabling, same thing.

I would still like to know where my free space went to though. right now I went back to my restore point

This generally happens if you forget to wipe the cache after flashing. If you did wipe, I don't know where your free space went. The rom is for sure smaller (this can be easily verified by extracting it).

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Works great! Just a suggestion... I believe their is a file that can be edited to stop sprint from throttling our download speeds. Their is a file for gsm phones but not sure if it works the same way with cdma. I use to get 1000kbs for speed tests now I am lucky to hit 300. If you could alter this it would be a huge plus for your build. Also this is my first prepaid phone will they still be able to top off my virgin with out the activate app?
Has this been done yet in anyother rom or is it successful in this one? I would love to not have my speeds throttled.

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
1. I had the same issue, but App2SD allows you to transfer Apps to your SD Card, so internal isnt that important.

2. SetCPU, yes you have to pay for it but it's worth it my friend.

-teki

ps: happy valentines day!
App2SD is decent, but can only put over enabled apps to sd. With Move2SD enabler (you have to be rooted- obviously) you can move over practically EVERY app to the sd with the exception of the system apps. Works great for me.

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Linpack Scores

Thanks RevRed and zefie...
This is my first rom I flashed last night and works great. :D

One problem I have found- it may just be me- when I install something from the market it acts like it will install, but won't unless I pull down the status bar and watch it install. I know it sounds silly.

Linpack scores-
@ 825mhz - 9.844 MFLOPS
@ 806mhz - 9.642
@ 768mhz - 9.186
@ 600mhz - 6.411

Hope this helps.

Any tips on how to make the phone stable above 806mhz without rebooting every few minutes?

mikeladue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
One problem I have found- it may just be me- when I install something from the market it acts like it will install, but won't unless I pull down the status bar and watch it install. I know it sounds silly.

I've noticed the exact same symptoms/behavior. BTW, I have not overclocked . . . still @600Mhz.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any tips on how to make the phone stable above 806mhz without rebooting every few minutes?

Not much you can do about it, except try a different phone. Due to small variances in the hardware some phones will go all the way to 864, and others will barely hit 729. It's simply dumb luck.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had that problem, did you wipe after installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.