ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
random question not related to the ROM (sorry) but i have apps on the SD card (also via Move2sd enabler) and am wanting to switch to a 16gig SD card. Can i just copy and paste everything from my 8gig onto the 16gig, insert it, and pretend like nothing ever happened or will my apps break?

fgullama

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it do the same thing with the stock recovery and ROM? (sorry if I missed that detail previously)

Also, what if you power off and charge it? . . . maybe as a test, do that and turn it on every hour or so to check on the battery level, then power it off again to continue charging.

That way, you'd know whether you have a hardware problem with the phone itself.
I seemed to have this issue creep up since I installed this new rom. I let it charge for about five hours yesterday (with the phone on - wall charger) and I only got up to about 29 percent, up from 13 percent. I had rebooted a couple of times during the day, observing that standby bug (I doubt it, but maybe there is some relation there?). It seems to be charging, but at that rate it would take like a week! I am on demand overclocked to 764mhz with SetCPU also now. That could be related as well.

Last night I plugged the phone into the wall charger, but turned the phone off. This morning the phone appears to be 100 percent charged.

I'll keep an eye on it and post back. Great rom and a great community! I'm lovin' my new V :)

Thanks!

Frank

Irkillcactuar

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Always try to partition and format cards with the item they will be used in. This is especially important on the Optimus as they seem to have more issues with this than most.

Back it up on your computer, then use disk administrator to delete the partitions on it. Put it in the phone and it will offer to partition and format it for you. Then put everything back on it from your computer.

If you still have problems, your card may be bad.

Roger that! I'll give it a shot. I wanna throw the 16 gig in anyways, but I'll be sure to format/partition first.

Thanks!

itsnotadam

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I did install the custom recovery, using this tutorial over at AndroidForums (link)

And im able to go in the recovery, but the screen looks much different from the one on that thread...

^^ Bumpidy bump bump. Lol. Is my recovery screen supposed to look JUST like that one? on that thread? Because it sure doesnt

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I am not able to send or receive data on my optimus since midnight last night when virgin mobile renewed my $40 month plan coverage. And when I launch the browser it defaults to vm's website even if I ask to go somewhere else. Is this a problem I should call in about, or is something in this rom/kernel that deleted/modified stock rom that could affect this?

Thank you all users, this forum has been a huge help!

ohfivepro

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not able to send or receive data on my optimus since midnight last night when virgin mobile renewed my $40 month plan coverage. And when I launch the browser it defaults to vm's website even if I ask to go somewhere else. Is this a problem I should call in about, or is something in this rom/kernel that deleted/modified stock rom that could affect this?

'

ive been thru this with vm ever since i got their service. after you pay for your service, either call them *vm or go to there website and log on. on their site there should be a link to "restart" your plan. do that and data should be back up. i have to do this everytime i pay them.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi...
I've downloaded the zip twice today and both attempts to install the update give me a 'MD5 checksum error!!!' in clockwork recovery 3.0.0.6
This is the first such install which has given me problems. I wiped the system, data, cache, and dalvik cache before trying to restore this ROMset.
It's also the only ROM I've downloaded with the system folder not in an .img file, does that matter? I'm new to android, but not completely new to flashing.
I got the AOSP gingerbread rom for the V to install and work just fine, first try. Also a stock recovery ROM as well, plus my own backup from before I started messing with the flashing.
Do I need a different custom recovery, or to not unzip the Xionia file before plunking it in the /clockworkmod/backup/Xionia directory on my SD?
Sorry to be a bother but I'd like to test this one out too.
BTW, my stock setup's Linpack score was:
7.274 MFLOPs
11.53 sec
norm res 5.68
I'd like to post one after the flash...
/edit:
Linpack output with stock VM ROM and (Xionia + VM Stock initrd) kernel by zefie (here) flashed over stock kernel, with no formatting/wiping:
8.768 MFLOPS, while overclocked to 806.4 MHz with SetCPU; overclocking higher reset my device. Seems stable at 806.
/end edit

also,

On HowardForums this is known as the 'redirect of death'.
If you manually restart your plan on the VMUSA site, it'll want to charge you for a whole new month. You'll have to bite the bullet and call Crustomer Disservice to request that they restart the plan for you if the problem persists, unless you're willing to cough up another month's payment. Worked for me with my Rumor Touch which would go to the redirect of death every month on the morning of the day my payment was due by midnight.

Last edited:

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
as far as i know you need a different recovery to flash this ROM. When i flashed it, i did not unpack it either and flashed it right off the root of my SD card.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
Back to the battery charging issue.

I'm having the same issues as others here when doing A/C or USB charging.
However charging while off takes about 5-7 hours while phone on can take upwards to 15 hours with this rom.

Stock charges 3 hours max phone off or on.

I'm running stock mhz as I have given up on Setcpu as the phone is super buggy while I was using it.

Charging times where while phone was in AIRPLANE MODE and GPS & Wifi was off.

Haven't tryed any other custom Romz.
However I'm sure the charge issue IS with in this rom.

Still enjoying it though!

Any suggestions?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that there is definitely a charge issue with this rom if others (such as myself) don't have the issue. Maybe there is something going on with some software you have installed?

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I rebooted (well actually i dropped the phone and the battery fell out) and afterwards it seems the charge issue has gone away. Havnt really been able to test but it seems gone to me.

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the charge issue. Would take three hours to charge 15%. Now I just charge overnight so I haven't been able to keep an eye on the charging speed.

I will say though that my brother is experiencing the same thing but he is on 100% stock vanilla. Not rooted.

Might be a rom issue?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi...
I've downloaded the zip twice today and both attempts to install the update give me a 'MD5 checksum error!!!' in clockwork recovery 3.0.0.6
.... I wiped the system, data, cache, and dalvik cache before trying to restore this ROMset.
Do I need a different custom recovery, or to not unzip the Xionia file before plunking it in the /clockworkmod/backup/Xionia directory on my SD?

as far as i know you need a different recovery to flash this ROM. When i flashed it, i did not unpack it either and flashed it right off the root of my SD card.

Well, I tried this again with the custom recovery written for the optimus v, linked to on page 2 in this thread.
Could not get the ROM to flash from zip. First a got signature error, so I turned off the signature check, but the ROM still wouldn't install, with another error preventing the installation...
Build: RA-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM
Verification: Disabled

Install: Xionia-VM.zip?
Press Menu to confirm,
any other key to abort.

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Can't find update script

Installation aborted.
Now I just feel dumb. I'm probably missing something obvious here.
Was fun using adb to get clockwork bootloader back on the phone with the system wiped clean so I could restore my last backup... never backed up with this custom recovery. That won't happen twice!
Any suggestions? I'd still like to try this out.
And, re:charge time: I've had my V for almost 3 days now, and I've had slow charging while turned on, and fast charging while on, both speeds of charge while using the stock ROM and kernel... fast discharge on the AOSP gingerbread ROM (wifi and bluetooth were on overnight) but fast charge as well... and both slow charge and fast charge while device turned on using xefie's Xionia kernel for the V with stock ROM. Haven't tried any others yet.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think I have tracked down an issue.
Whenever I lose data connection on 3g, the system will not downgrade to 1x, or even reconnect. I have to disable data, and then re-enable it in order to re-connect.

I tried wiping, I a fresh install, with a wipe.
It does not seem an issue on Rodimus rom, but is on this.

I haven't tried the AOSP though as it doesn't have wifi tether working yet.
All my old stock Virgin backups mean I woudl have to put in an older recovery to try, but since Rodimus works, I would think it's most likely Xonia doing it.

Can anyone verify this?

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried this again with the custom recovery written for the optimus v, linked to on page 2 in this thread.
Could not get the ROM to flash from zip. First a got signature error, so I turned off the signature check, but the ROM still wouldn't install, with another error preventing the installation...

Now I just feel dumb. I'm probably missing something obvious here.
Was fun using adb to get clockwork bootloader back on the phone with the system wiped clean so I could restore my last backup... never backed up with this custom recovery. That won't happen twice!
Any suggestions? I'd still like to try this out.
And, re:charge time: I've had my V for almost 3 days now, and I've had slow charging while turned on, and fast charging while on, both speeds of charge while using the stock ROM and kernel... fast discharge on the AOSP gingerbread ROM (wifi and bluetooth were on overnight) but fast charge as well... and both slow charge and fast charge while device turned on using xefie's Xionia kernel for the V with stock ROM. Haven't tried any others yet.

This is what i did to get this ROM going on my phone...

start here (only download the files at the bottom of the first post, dont follow the guide as ive taken part of the instructions from it already)
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

The files the guide says to download put on the root of the SD card, and also unpack their contents into the root of the SD card as well (the unpacking is more important).

The first page of the "how to root the optimus v" has all the links to the stuff you really need but i included it without links in this writeup for you...

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK
- The Android SDK, . Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer.
- SuperOneClick v1.6.3, which is available from xda-developers
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and continue to step 4.

Step 4: ADB into your phone.

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

# reboot recovery

Then once in recovery, wipe everything (cache, dalvik, whatever you want) then flash the Xionia-VM rom. Done.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

eggFuJON

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Just an update on this ROM. I have tried the aospCMod 2.3 ROM over at XDA but switched back to this. aospCMod does run well and is pretty responsive. It has some nice tweaks you would expect from a Cyanogen-type ROM--power notification toggles, screen on/off animations, etc.

I switched back to this rom because the aosp was pretty bad on battery for me. Others report pretty good if you calibrate the battery. Some probably have had just a tad less battery life, but nothing to cry to mommy about. My battery dies quickly. Battery drops from 100% - 60% in 7 hrs, and this is when it's idle/screen off when I'm sleeping. I thought that was horrible.

This rom, during that 7hr sleep time, only drops about 7-10%, So that is a major difference.

Also, on aospCMod, I haven't gotten wifi tether to work. It says it can work with apps, but not built-in function. Quick Settings, which I use to tether on this Stock+Xionia rom works flawlessly. But it doesn't work on aospCMod.
When coming out of screen-off, there is a bit of lag on aospCMod.

Overall, I like this rom better for its stability and performance. The only things I really miss from aospCMod are the Cyanogen tweaks and Gingerbread offerings. More specifically, trading the awesome screen off/on animations, Gingerbread keyboard with thumb cursor scroll in the aospCMod rom just for the huge battery life difference on this Stock+Xionia rom are worth it. I will go back once that rom gets another update, as it is the initial release. And being that it is quite an awesome first build.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have backed up each rom's nand via clockworkmod. So when I restored the Stock+Xionia backup from aospCMod, rebooted, updated with newer apps, settings, etc., and then backing up again (for an updated stock xionia rom), I did lose some apps after rebooting. It's the disappearing app issue like I posted earlier in this thread. However, once I restored all apps via Titanium and powered off and back on, all apps were retained. And just to double-check all apps are still retained via normal reboot. So all things are GO.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
^^ Bumpidy bump bump. Lol. Is my recovery screen supposed to look JUST like that one? on that thread? Because it sure doesnt

Sorry... Work, Life, etc, you know how it goes. Apparently, there are three versions of the V recovery floating around, and the rom will not work with all of them. I currently using the S recovery myself. As for why this is, each rom has an installation script in the root. There are two different languages used for the script. Not all the recoveries support both. Furthermore, some recoveries (like the Xionia one) require the rom to be signed in a certain way.

You have two options at the moment. Wait for the next version (which I'm actually working on believe it or not! lol.) or switch to a different recovery. Specifically, the S one that I've tested.

As of the next version Xionia Clockwork Recovery will be the official recovery to use.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi...

See my last post. Although, you've achieved basically the same thing by flashing the kernel, which is newer than the rom (and in fact the kernel I'll be using in the next release), So I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just an update on this ROM. I have tried the aospCMod 2.3 ROM over at XDA but switched back to this. aospCMod does run well and is pretty responsive. It has some nice tweaks you would expect from a Cyanogen-type ROM--power notification toggles, screen on/off animations, etc.

I switched back to this rom because the aosp was pretty bad on battery for me. Others report pretty good if you calibrate the battery. Some probably have had just a tad less battery life, but nothing to cry to mommy about. My battery dies quickly. Battery drops from 100% - 60% in 7 hrs, and this is when it's idle/screen off when I'm sleeping. I thought that was horrible.

This rom, during that 7hr sleep time, only drops about 7-10%, So that is a major difference.

Also, on aospCMod, I haven't gotten wifi tether to work. It says it can work with apps, but not built-in function. Quick Settings, which I use to tether on this Stock+Xionia rom works flawlessly. But it doesn't work on aospCMod.
When coming out of screen-off, there is a bit of lag on aospCMod.

Overall, I like this rom better for its stability and performance. The only things I really miss from aospCMod are the Cyanogen tweaks and Gingerbread offerings. More specifically, trading the awesome screen off/on animations, Gingerbread keyboard with thumb cursor scroll in the aospCMod rom just for the huge battery life difference on this Stock+Xionia rom are worth it. I will go back once that rom gets another update, as it is the initial release. And being that it is quite an awesome first build.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have backed up each rom's nand via clockworkmod. So when I restored the Stock+Xionia backup from aospCMod, rebooted, updated with newer apps, settings, etc., and then backing up again (for an updated stock xionia rom), I did lose some apps after rebooting. It's the disappearing app issue like I posted earlier in this thread. However, once I restored all apps via Titanium and powered off and back on, all apps were retained. And just to double-check all apps are still retained via normal reboot. So all things are GO.

icemank has just released a 2.3 port based on zefie's work that also uses zefie's kernel, so you get the best of all worlds. Check it out in the forum if you are interested! Also, if you are using the Xionia Clockwork Recovery, you can flash the kernel independently of the rom.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think I have tracked down an issue.
Whenever I lose data connection on 3g, the system will not downgrade to 1x, or even reconnect. I have to disable data, and then re-enable it in order to re-connect.

I tried wiping, I a fresh install, with a wipe.
It does not seem an issue on Rodimus rom, but is on this.

I haven't tried the AOSP though as it doesn't have wifi tether working yet.
All my old stock Virgin backups mean I woudl have to put in an older recovery to try, but since Rodimus works, I would think it's most likely Xonia doing it.

Can anyone verify this?

Will try to verify. Sounds like a kernel issue, since that's basically the only unique thing about this rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae