06-09-2012 10:04 AM
217 ... 6789
tools
    Not a huge deal, but the steps need to be updated to reflect the current package (problem in bold):

Recovery Instructions
    - Download
    - Unzip the folder somewhere (desktop is easy)
    - Double click RecoveryFlasher.exe
    - Choose 'flash recovery'
    - Place your phone in debug mode >setting>applications>development>USB debugging
    - Choose what you want to do
    - Follow the prompts and hit "any" key when told
    - Your phone will reboot into the recovery for you, and from there you can mount your sdcard and transfer a new ROM to flash. Or even easier, use the new "Flash ROM to phone" feature

You're responsible for your own actions Mr. Sister
    EDIT: I also agree with
    Have to admit it was all my fault for not renaming the included recovery.img to vrecovery.img.
    it's an easy mistake to make, the instructions aren't totally clear on that part for a first timer.

Thanks for this tool!
    07-04-2011 02:09 AM
    Hello all. Total nub here with messing with phones, but I am good with computers. Some things I would like to know about this process and ROMTools. What I'm after is getting rid of the bloatware stuff on my phone, make the battery last longer, make the phone faster, etc.

So I have d-loaded ROMTools and extracted it into a folder. There are several application files in there. Is the ROMTools one the only one I need to worry about for this process?

(thumbnail image)

Do I need to perform all the tasks listed here?

Does ROMTools root my phone, or do I need to do that separately? And if so, can someone please link me the most nub friendly method of doing so?

I have been looking all over here, and I get somewhat lost in the different tutorials I see. For instance, I want to use the Rodimus ROM and I have seen that this needs to be renamed and placed in the proper folder, but I'm not sure where this folder is. Any help and understanding is greatly appreciated here
    07-10-2011 09:48 PM
    What if I just want to root and not load a stock ROM or anything, what do I have to do? (Sorry about the questions, Non-Techie here!)
    07-20-2011 01:21 PM
    Where do I get the rom from for Optimus V to put into rom folder?
    elisa9047 likes this.
    07-20-2011 01:53 PM
    Thank you very much for this I almost paid someone $30 last night to do this for me. It is very easy to do. I backed everything up and installed reds stock vm rom and I'm using out to swype this message right now. Thanks again this worked perfectly
    Where did you get the Rom from? I see the rom folder only has a blank text file?
    07-20-2011 01:55 PM
    Where did you get the Rom from? I see the rom folder only has a blank text file?
    You have to download one of the many roms from this forum and then put it in that folder.

Froyo popular ones: Bumblebee, Reborn, Harmonia
    GB popular: IHO, Ath3nos, AOSP
    07-20-2011 03:08 PM
    Where do I get the rom from for Optimus V to put into rom folder?
    Whats the difference between this and rom manager off android market. I have that and I believed it flashed a recovery rom for me. Can I use rom manager to install a rom? If so how?
    07-22-2011 03:59 AM
    did everything it rebooted but wont stop rebooting. please help!!!!!
    07-22-2011 03:21 PM
    I followed all the instructions and my phone said it was rooted successfully and it rebooted several times and now programs that work only for rooted phones say that my phone is not rooted. I have a lg optimus v
    Is there anything I did wrong?
    Please help me.
    Thank you
    07-22-2011 03:46 PM
    Whats the difference between this and rom manager off android market. I have that and I believed it flashed a recovery rom for me. Can I use rom manager to install a rom? If so how?
    No, ROMManager forces you to install CWM, which sucks, before doing anything. Xionia's CWM, which is included in this tool, is better.
    07-23-2011 10:49 PM
    I have root on my phone, as evidenced by SuperUser and Titanium Backup. However, I don't seem to be able to flash a rom. Is there something other than opening RomTools, having put the ROM.zip in the ROM directory and pressing '1'?

I get 'remount failed: Operation not permitted' and 'cannot create /cache/recovery/command: permission denied' a couple of times and then 'reboot: Operation not permitted'.

Another question. It says I can wipe the dalvik-cache from the main menu but it wants to reboot my phone before I can select that option.

?

Update:

I redid the SuperOneClick.. option 1 says it succeeded, the phone reboots into a blue menu recovery and says can't mount SDCARD:rom.zip 'Installation aborted'

So.. how do I flash this rom then?

Update again:

AH! .. I misread the 'rename included recovery to vrecovery.img', I thought that was just to keep the bundled one from being overwritten if you copied in a new recovery. I just 'made a copy' of the one included in the romtools package and copied my one in as 'recovery.img', so that was my mistake. Using the Xiona CWMA recovery 12518.6 I was able to back up the system and then flash the rom over.

can you please explain the last part because what you were explaining is exactly whats happening to me right now
    08-10-2011 07:59 PM
    can you please explain the last part because what you were explaining is exactly whats happening to me right now
    Whatever recovery you are going to install rename it to vrecovery.
    That is if you are doing this on a Optimus V.
    08-10-2011 08:05 PM
    Sorry,I'm a bit dumb when it comes to this stuff. How do I get it to work once downloaded? It it something I run from the computer or something I run from the phone? Also I used SuperOneClick to root my phone, so will this still work?

Thanks in advance
    08-16-2011 04:34 PM
    i cant find a download link......
    08-19-2011 09:11 AM
    can someone give more detailed instructions please? sorry im new to android and rooting
    08-19-2011 09:32 PM
    why is it that any way i try to boot to recovery it stays stuck on the lg screen. ive tried the vol down home power button way and that just gives me a blank screen. your reboot to recovery makes it stick at lg bootscreen. i have to pull the battery and then power on to get anywhere and then it boots normal. any help would be greatly appreciated
    This is the same problem that I am having but nobody in the thread gave a solution. Please help!
    09-24-2011 03:59 PM
    I just got a replacement phone with 2.2.2 on it and I haven't activated it yet. I tried to root it using RomTools but after super one click finds my phone, when it tries the next step it gives me an error. I have tried multiple times and I still get the same error.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    09-25-2011 11:00 AM
    I don't think superoneclick works on the newer firmware.
    try gingerbreak. can be found on xda.
    bswann likes this.
    09-25-2011 11:36 AM
    That's what I was thinking. my other phone is working fine, VM tech support just sent me another one because I didn't have 3g for a week or two and instead of just saying it was a problem with the tower they sent me a new phone. I'm just gonna send them the phone back and not worry about it.
    09-25-2011 03:40 PM
    yeah, the new one is definitely the one to send back. they f'd up the firmware with that 2.2.2; locked out fastboot the dirty beggars. not sure what else is wrong with it yet... that's the big deal I've found wrong with the newer ov so far.
    09-25-2011 03:49 PM
    Does gingerbreak successfully root the 2.2.2 ?
    09-25-2011 04:48 PM
    ginerbreak did my new ov just fine. worked on first try.
    got it direct from the xda thread, not market or anything.
    09-25-2011 07:02 PM
    ginerbreak did my new ov just fine. worked on first try.
    got it direct from the xda thread, not market or anything.
    so now, i wanna custom recovery and then flash IHO Purity X Rom, do i now use ROMtools ?
    09-25-2011 07:09 PM
    I just need to flash a recovery , do i need to use recovery flasher or just use the RomTools version without the OV drivers ?

which link should i use ?
    09-27-2011 08:52 AM
    I rooted my Optimus V the other night (new 2 weeks ago, running 2.2.2) using Gingerbreak and, though it took a few tries, it did work and now TiBu, Superuser and anything on my phone has root access, but I haven't been able to get a recovery on it.

I've tried ROMtools and SuperOneClick on my comp; with SuperOne, my first shell root attempt runs well until it says 'running psneuter' and then returns FAILED. Any attempts after that only get to the line 'chmod psneuter' then says error: closed. With ROMtools, when I have it check for root, the first time it just pops up a $, any subsequent attempts return the same 'error: closed' message as SuperOne until I reboot the phone.

What does the 'error:closed' message mean and why does my computer have a hard time gaining root when the phone works the way it should? Could it be the drivers? Installing them has been the only part that has so far been 100% smooth so far. Is there something else I need to do? Phone is in debug mode.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!!!
    10-23-2011 06:15 PM
217 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD