[AIO] ROMTools v2.3.1 (ex-recoveryflasher) Tons of new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhalen

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
tony and hugh.....had the same problem myself awhile back. I forgot to wipe something. Have not had any problems since flashing anything. The instructions say you need to wipe the cache, dalvik cache, and under the advanced you have to wipe system, cache, and data. HE also recommends to do a factory reset from THE RECOVERY MENU, NOT from the phone.

IIAnomaly17II

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Need help with the custom recovery. The unzipped file is on my desktop. My phone obtains the temp root then the program says it will install the custom recovery. My phone reboots back into the LG Recovery??

manormortal

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get pass this error
trashman.png

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
To those that can't get the boot animation to work, are you putting the flashable zip in the folder or the bootanimation.zip?

Double click it and if there is a folder 'META-INF' and 'system' then that means you need to navigate to /system/media and drag&drop the bootanimation.zip to the bootanimation folder.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Oops, looks like it's bricked! I went to do the factory reset in the recovery menu as danhalen suggest - I had it plugged in via USB too. When it did the factory reset I though it would just shut down after that so when I saw it booting back up I thought it was because I had the USB cable plugged in. I pulled it and then the battery to kill it. Apparently, you shouldn't remove the battery until it boots up to the home screen after a reset. I thought it already did the reset process.

Now I can't reach the recovery menu. When it starts up it always says it's doing a reset and then proceeds to reboot at which point it goes through the Virgin Mobile animation and gets stuck on the Virgin Mobile logo that remains behind during the boot sequence. It never even gets so far as the shimmering "android". :'(

Last edited:

Mirth

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
To those that can't get the boot animation to work, are you putting the flashable zip in the folder or the bootanimation.zip?

I apologize for my noob-ness and stupidity. Here is exactly what I did:

• Install ROMTools (with drivers). Ran files "1", "2", "3".

• Download a bootanimation.zip (contains a file called desc.txt and a folder called "part0" with lots of jpg's in it)

• Put bootanimation.zip into "ROMTools > bootanimation" folder alongside the placeholder.txt file

• Plug in Android to PC using USB cable

• Put Android into USB Debugging mode

• Opened ROMTools.exe. Selected option 7 "Push bootanimation.zip"

• Get following message:
remount failed: Operation not permitted
rm failed for /data/local/bootanimation.zip, No such file or directory

• Phone reboots and the default bootanimation is shown, not the new one.

That's the exact order I'm doing things in. If I'm missing a step or something, please let me know.

Double click it and if there is a folder 'META-INF' and 'system' then that means you need to navigate to /system/media and drag&drop the bootanimation.zip to the bootanimation folder.

I'm not sure what this means. In the bootanimation.zip, there are none of those files you mentioned. If it did, i wouldn't know how to access /system/media anyways or even know where it is. That's not in my phone's SD card, and if that's a folder on the phone, I dunno how to access those then (my phone is not rooted, if that makes a difference).

Again, I apologize for being slow, I'm new to this so I don't really know how to figure it out on my own, although I did get it through the adb previously.

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for my noob-ness and stupidity. Here is exactly what I did:

? Install ROMTools (with drivers). Ran files "1", "2", "3".

? Download a bootanimation.zip (contains a file called desc.txt and a folder called "part0" with lots of jpg's in it)

? Put bootanimation.zip into "ROMTools > bootanimation" folder alongside the placeholder.txt file

? Plug in Android to PC using USB cable

? Put Android into USB Debugging mode

? Opened ROMTools.exe. Selected option 7 "Push bootanimation.zip"

? Get following message:
rm failed for /data/local/bootanimation.zip, No such file or directory

? Phone reboots and the default bootanimation is shown, not the new one.

That's the exact order I'm doing things in. If I'm missing a step or something, please let me know.

I'm not sure what this means. In the bootanimation.zip, there are none of those files you mentioned. If it did, i wouldn't know how to access /system/media anyways or even know where it is. That's not in my phone's SD card, and if that's a folder on the phone, I dunno how to access those then (my phone is not rooted, if that makes a difference).

Again, I apologize for being slow, I'm new to this so I don't really know how to figure it out on my own, although I did get it through the adb previously.

The error you are getting is caused by not having root access. If you have installed the recovery only and not a ROM then you most likely do not have root.

Run 'one.exe' in the ROMTools folder, hit 'shell root', wait till it finishes, and try again.

Reactions: Mirth

Mirth

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The error you are getting is caused by not having root access. If you have installed the recovery only and not a ROM then you most likely do not have root.

Run 'one.exe' in the ROMTools folder, hit 'shell root', wait till it finishes, and try again.

Thank you for your quick reply.

One more question before I do this. I don't have my phone activated yet (gotta wait till my Sprint contract is up first), which is why I haven't done anything daring yet and still have the stock ROM or whatever.

If I run this 'one.exe' and do that shell root, will this prevent me from activating with Virgin Mobile in a few weeks?

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply.

One more question before I do this. I don't have my phone activated yet (gotta wait till my Sprint contract is up first), which is why I haven't done anything daring yet and still have the stock ROM or whatever.

If I run this 'one.exe' and do that shell root, will this prevent me from activating with Virgin Mobile in a few weeks?

Nope.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You might not be able to activate if you put a different ROM on though. I wasn't able to with Cyanogenmod 7. I had to go back to stock first.

And if anyone wants to know, Zefie has this to say about CWMA.
CWMA comes with LG Sprint recovery to handle the factory reset, VM's might be different.
So you may want to stay away from the factory-style reset in the recovery mod. I thought I'd add this in since ROMTools uses CWMA as a recovery loader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mirth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance