[AIO] ROMTools v2.3.1 (ex-recoveryflasher) Tons of new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, that seemed to do the trick, works like a charm!!! Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait until I put on a different ROM then.

But that's no to say that you can't make a nandroid backup and just restore it when it comes time to activate :p

That's what I did.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You should just need the activation apk and you should be able to activate with any rom installed. Someone has a link to it, I don't have it handy.

It's not a bad thing to keep handy, anyhow, just in case, so you don't have to nandroid back to the stock rom, activate, then nandroid back again. If you used a different recovery, this could be even more of a hassle.

tony5593

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I need help. Mmmark111 if you could help that would be awesome. I can't seem to get this to work! And ever since I started, my phones slow now! It might as well be a brick! I open he menu and I have to wait like 5 secs for it to open. I hardly ever have 3g and most of the time when I do its a lie, it starts flipping back and forth from 1x. I get my txts late too.

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Took the step and flashed the VM-Xionia today using your flash rom to phone.
Everything worked 100%.
Used Setcpu for 790Mhz, the speed difference is very noticeable.

Excellent tool for people that don't like typing the commands.
Many thanks!

BorisBadinov

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, and thanks for the excellent work mmmark111. I rooted my Optimus V earlier today, using RevolutionRed 's method here : http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html

And I know it was successful since I have TitaniumBackup working and su was showing # when I was using the commands and such.

Now, I am trying to get ROMTools to help me 1st make a full backup, and 2nd put on RevolutionRed 's Stock + Xionia ROM.

I have thusfar connected my phone (yes, USB debugging is on) and ran ROMTools.exe after extracting your zip. (PS- your instructions call it a different file name) When I selected "Flash recovery to phone" it checks to see if I have root, by running its daemon script in cmd. The script shows a $ for some reason, and says that I need to run the ROOT before I can flash.

Since I am already Rooted (nothing else has been done to my phone yet) is there any risk of selecting ROOT in ROMTools? I am pretty new to all of this and after reading hundreds of different postings throughout the forums, I am quite nervous of making any steps that aren't explicitly explained somewhere.

If and when I do get the flash recovery working, it should save the recovery to my SD at which point I can use the "Flash ROM to phone" option to put a new ROM on, correct? If something goes horribly wrong, how do I access and utilize the backup I will have made previous?

I know this is a lot to digest, and I appreciate anyone who can help.

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, and thanks for the excellent work mmmark111. I rooted my Optimus V earlier today, using RevolutionRed 's method here : http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html

And I know it was successful since I have TitaniumBackup working and su was showing # when I was using the commands and such.

Now, I am trying to get ROMTools to help me 1st make a full backup, and 2nd put on RevolutionRed 's Stock + Xionia ROM.

I have thusfar connected my phone (yes, USB debugging is on) and ran ROMTools.exe after extracting your zip. (PS- your instructions call it a different file name) When I selected "Flash recovery to phone" it checks to see if I have root, by running its daemon script in cmd. The script shows a $ for some reason, and says that I need to run the ROOT before I can flash.

Since I am already Rooted (nothing else has been done to my phone yet) is there any risk of selecting ROOT in ROMTools? I am pretty new to all of this and after reading hundreds of different postings throughout the forums, I am quite nervous of making any steps that aren't explicitly explained somewhere.

If and when I do get the flash recovery working, it should save the recovery to my SD at which point I can use the "Flash ROM to phone" option to put a new ROM on, correct? If something goes horribly wrong, how do I access and utilize the backup I will have made previous?

I know this is a lot to digest, and I appreciate anyone who can help.

In cmd, can you 'cd' to your android sdk tools directory or the ROMTools directory, and enter 'adb shell' and check for #. If you don't get a # try typing 'su' and let me know your results.

Reactions: BorisBadinov

BorisBadinov

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
@mmmark111 Ahh, bizzare-o. I absolutely ROOTed previously (Like I said, I got those Apps to work correctly which require su) but now it is showing $ and typing 'su' brings 'permission denied' .

I am curious how my phone could have lost it's root like this. Also, does it matter in the scheme of life whether I perma-root or root through ROMTools and flash a ROM right then and there? I would prefer a long-term solution over consistently having to re-ROOT honestly.

Thanks for your time.

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
@mmmark111 Ahh, bizzare-o. I absolutely ROOTed previously (Like I said, I got those Apps to work correctly which require su) but now it is showing $ and typing 'su' brings 'permission denied' .

I am curious how my phone could have lost it's root like this. Also, does it matter in the scheme of life whether I perma-root or root through ROMTools and flash a ROM right then and there? I would prefer a long-term solution over consistently having to re-ROOT honestly.

Thanks for your time.

The temp root you can achieve with ROMTools will allow you to flash a recovery that lets you flash a pre-rooted ROM. This will give you a "perma-root" The only way to lose root is to flash a non-rooted rom.

BorisBadinov

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
@mmmark111 Awesome work, thanks so much for this, now I have the recovery:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I thought that I could do a Nandroid backup with this utility..? I feel like I am taking a lot of your time and I am sorry but I have found a real lack of explanation on how exactly one does a backup throughout the forum step by step.

Also, so that I dont mess anything up by hitting the wrong keys, which buttons do I press in the menu for down/up and to advance the menus?

Edit: When I actually finish all of this, I hope to write a comprehensive and explanitive topic on this forum for it. Seems that a lot of information is spread between this forum, android forums, and XDA. There is not really anywhere explaining the steps from recieving ones phone, to activation, to root, to custom recovery, to backup, and then the installation of ROMs.

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can i simply root the phone and OC with one of the apps in the market instead of having to use a custom ROM? All the ones that are out at the moment seem to have issues that interfere with the main usages of my phone.

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I do believe that is what the very 1st. post on this forum is all about.
It just obtains permanent root, by adding a couple of files.
No recovery mods and no changes to the stock setup.

After that you could just get SetCpu and overclock the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.