ARCHIVED: [ROM] MobiusROM R1.7 "Spring Yard" - RELEASED 5.June.2011

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
NOTE: My phone was replaced due to faulty memory by Virgin Mobile back in early July. My replacement OV was a 2.2.2 device, so development on this rom (which is based on 2.2.1) was put on hold while I found a stock device. I might be able to get this working for 2.2.2, but this is not much of a priority as the following month from the replacement (August 2011), I've moved on to another carrier (SIMple Mobile) and a new phone (G2x).

I created this rom largely because I wanted to be able to hack into my Optimus V without being required to connect it to my computer. To that end, it has some build.prop tweaks, and a couple command-line editors for usage, as well as the wget command-line download utility.

WARNING: This ROM is very much BETA quality as this is my first attempt at ROM cooking, so take care to report any bugs. I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage to your phone. It is strongly reccomended you make a backup (as this rom WIPES EVERYTHING) and check the md5sums of your downloaded copy against the md5 files prior to flashing. ALSO WIPE YOUR CACHE AND DALVIK CACHE AFTER FLASHING!

LATEST VERSION: R1.7 "Spring Yard"

CHANGES FROM STOCK
  • Deodex'd
  • Zipalign'd
  • Twidroyd+Poynt+WHERE+SCVNGR+AirG+VMLive+Downloads+MyAccount > /dev/null (Activate was kept as it has some uses in the area of re-provisioning)
  • Taking a cue from Harmonia, most of the Google Apps are gone (exceptions: Google Search and Voice Search)
  • Root'd+Busybox'd
  • Nano and Vim added for command-line use (grab ConnectBot from market or just adb shell your way onto your phone to use) as well as sysrw and sysro (scripts to remount /system read-write and read-only without needing to memorize mount commands)
  • Hardware Rendering ON
  • Stagefright ON
  • Kernel replaced with picasticks-07a (temporary until BLUEsphere is stable enough)
  • Simple Splash and Boot Animations replacing the Virgin Mobile defaults
  • Virgin Mobile ringtones deleted, defaults are now set to the following:
    • Ringtone: Simple Beep 3
    • Notification tone: Captain's Log
    • Alarm tone unchanged (apparently VM didn't have any custom tones there)
  • Virgin Mobile Splash sound deleted
  • Default Theme Replaced (customized by UOTKitchen)

TODO
  • Custom Kernel (I did consider using the Xionia kernel like the others, but with LG releasing the Optimus V sources, I'm tinkering around with that and creating my own. Expect it in an upcoming release, provided I can get the sources patched and a build environment working.)
  • Theme: The theme is still a little rough around the edges (e.g., too dark in the notification tray's ongoing section, etc. This will be addressed in a bugfix

INSTALLATION
  1. Root your phone
  2. Install a custom recovery (MobiusROM has been tested successfully with zefie's Xionia CWMA Recovery v1.2518.4. GNM Recovery v1.2.0 for the Optimus V might work as well, but it hasn't been tested)
  3. Download the zip and copy to your phone's SDcard (Reccomended: check the zip file's MD5 hash with the hash inside the corresponding MD5 File)
  4. Do a Nandroid backup of your phone
  5. Flash the zip file to your phone (WARNING: This rom WIPES EVERYTHING so proceed with caution!)
  6. Wipe your Cache and Dalvik Cache
  7. Reboot and enjoy

CHANGELOG
  • R1.7 "Spring Yard"
    • New Default Theme and background
    • BLUEsphere kernel is currently delayed due to stability issues, picasticks 07a is currently being used as a stopgap kernel
    • Boot and splash animations, splash sound, and all VM ringtones and notification tones are deleted.
    • Wireless tether removed
    • All Google apps that could be deleted without causing issues (Maps, Street View, etc.) are gone.
  • R1.2-R1.6: Failed internal tests
  • R1.1 "Green Hill Act 2"
    • Added a binary of VIM. It works despite throwing some notices.
    • Added a binary of Wget.
    • Rooted the boot.img (prior version only had su, busybox with run-parts, and Superuser.apk in the /system partition)
  • R1 "Green Hill"
    • Initial Release

THANKS

takehull - For posting a working stock ROM in his Unrooting directions
dsixda - For the ROM kitchen and all the associated goodies that came with it
RevolutionRed - For giving me inspiration to do cook my own setup
UOTKitchen - Themeing
picasticks - For temporarily using the kernel of the same name
LeslieAnn - Inspiring me to cut out the fat

DOWNLOAD
Current Version: R1.7 "Spring Yard"
Download from Dropbox: Click Here (md5sum file: Click Here) or scan the following QR code:
chart

Older versions: R1.1 "Green Hill Act 2"
Download from Dropbox: Click Here (md5sum file: Click Here)
Older versions: R1 "Green Hill"
Dropbox Multi-Part Download: 1/2/3 (md5sum file: Click Here)
Dropbox Single-Part Download (courtesy of Magical): Here

(Drop me a line if you decide to mirror MobiusROM)

DONATIONS
Donations are welcome. CLICK HERE

Last edited:

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The three different downloads are due to the fact that I'm having to tether my Optimus V to get online, and it seems to stall out when uploading the full file.

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So this is the same as RevolutionRed's stock ROM just without the xionia kernel and with the addition of stagefright? Have you made any other changes?

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So this is the same as RevolutionRed's stock ROM just without the xionia kernel and with the addition of stagefright? Have you made any other changes?

Right now, I'm working on a custom kernel for this ROM as well, based off of the recently released LG VM670 Sources. It's still not quite ready for release yet, but rest assured, I'm working on it.

Also, I added the Wireless Tether app included in dsixda's kitchen. It can be easily deleted from your phone if you so choose. In addition, I added the nano command-line editor for use with ConnectBot/ADB Shell-in (a pre-compiled binary came with the kitchen, as well as a script to change the /system partition read-write/read-only at will).

So to flash it just zip them together?

Actually, the zip that you flash to your device is compressed inside a 3-part RAR file. You extract the ZIP out of the RAR files and move it to your SD Card for flashing.

FYI, Flashing has been tested to work with CWMA Recovery. I haven't tested it yet with GNM Recovery.

Last edited:

plantucha

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

It looks like this rom is on half way between revolutionred and rodimus. Or pretty much like rodimus was in very early alpha version. With custom kernel it will be different class, but if I will see it I will believe it, not before. Right now is really not any reason to even try, unless you wanna stagefright.

www.metrication.us

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on the next (albeit minor) release soon. I'm still trying to get the build environment working so no custom kernel yet. However, I am including the commandline editor vim (and if I can remember) a terminal app for Android so one can have a shell to work in without needing to plug their phone in and such.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on the next (albeit minor) release soon. I'm still trying to get the build environment working so no custom kernel yet. However, I am including the commandline editor vim (and if I can remember) a terminal app for Android so one can have a shell to work in without needing to plug their phone in and such.

Kinda like the free terminal app from market? o_O

Xmeatizmurderx

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys way to be jerks, I welcome any Dev working on the V
This Rom is looking good man keep it up! I would like to see any of these douches try and cook a working ROM.

P.S. you should make a DK boot animation that would be sick!

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow guys way to be jerks, I welcome any Dev working on the V
This Rom is looking good man keep it up! I would like to see any of these douches try and cook a working ROM.

P.S. you should make a DK boot animation that would be sick!

Same here, thanks for your input to the community! :D

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

ssam

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I give you mad Props for Making this ROM.. Don't listening to the negative comments people make. They always a few bad apples in the basket...
looking forward to see the updates.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
mmmark111 has plenty of reason to say whatever he wants, he's contributed a lot to the phone, and is not simply repackaging (in whole) the work of others.

When more is contributed, more unique work (and original), I doubt this mobius rom will be questioned as much...

ssam

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
mmmark111 has plenty of reason to say whatever he wants, he's contributed a lot to the phone, and is not simply repackaging (in whole) the work of others.

When more is contributed, more unique work (and original), I doubt this mobius rom will be questioned as much...

Well first off all, mmmark111 can say what he wants. i fully agree.. but just because he is more advanced doesn't mean he has the right to bash other people that are trying to create a different Roms for the phone.

And for your jmel the process of having the forums is to help each other out by making our phones better and finding different ways to hack them.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I applaud the effort he is taking here. All devs had to start new and he is just working his way up. I look forward to another ROM to play around with as I haven't been into it that long and already want a new one lol. Good luck with this and hope to see it develop into something great. :D