ARCHIVED: [KERNEL] BLUEsphere R1.7 - RELEASED 07/15/2011 - New Toolchaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
CURRENT RELEASE: R1.7

Well, after all this time, I finally it it off. Meet my Optimus V kernel, named BLUEsphere!

NOTE: This is very much a beta, after several failed ones due to a bad initial choice of OS on my Virtual Machine, a switch to a much better choice of OS, and a fix another user posted to fix LG's screwy kernel stripper. AS ALWAYS, NANDROID BACKUPS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED
WARNING: This kernel is meant for 2.2.x FroYo-based roms only. If you are using the Scott Pilgrim CM7, AOSP-CMod7, or other 2.3.x Gingerbread-based ROM, DO NOT USE THIS KERNEL. This will cause a boot loop if you do.

FEATURES
  • Compiled using CodeSourcery C++ (GCC 4.5)
  • Compiled-in support for CIFS shares and ext2/ext3/ext4/ReiserFS/HFS/HFS+ partitions
  • Compiled-in support for MBR (default), GPT, and Apple Partition Map partition schemes
  • Interactive cpufreq governor, ported over from CyanogenMod
  • CPU Overclocking, ported from Xionia 007 and tweaked slightly
  • Wireless drivers, ported over from Xionia Git virginmobile branch, so that we can hopefully avoid needing LeslieAnn's workaround
  • LG Source fixes, courtesy of picasticks and now added in by LG into their sources...
  • More To Come...

KNOWN ISSUES
  • Sometimes, when compiling from source about halfway through, minigzip comes up as 'not found'. I had to download the zlib sources and build/install zlib from source in order for the kernel to compile successfully. I've heard that moving the minigzip binary from scripts to your PATH works as well, but meh...

TODO
  • Move toolchain to GCC 4.6
  • Re-add iso9660 image support
  • Suggestions welcome

THANKS
Zefie: acupfreq.c and Wifi drivers
picasticks: cleaning up the mess LG made with the stock kernel
LG: for releasing the sources and fixing them
The guys at CyanogenMod: Hosting the interactive governor sources

DOWNLOAD
AnyKernel version: http://db.tt/fEq27Ei or scan the following QR Code:
chart

Kernel Sources: http://github.com/biafrarepublic/bluesphere

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is an anykernel version: (redacted)

Thanks for the hard work. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Last edited:

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay... was able to recover using Clockwork Recovery. Kernel seems definitely borked on my end as loading it leaves me stuck at the LG splash... Now, time to go back to the drawing board, or find someone who can get the sources working...

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember off hand where it's at (i don't wanna boot into my linux partition lazy ) but minigzip is in there and you have to set it's permissions as executable for it to work correctly. I copied it out of there and put it in either /sh or wherever because I had the same problem with the metro kernel.

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your addition to our small community. Glad to see devs more and more :D
I love flashing kernels >_<

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Uh oh,.... I think I bricked my phone with my own kernel... Everyone don't use the current version please.

Bleeding edge development :) It's very cool you're doing it. I will certainly be following this project's progress and will try it out some time once you're happy with it.

Nit3H8wk

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you try again i saw this on lg's website.

Description Notice Download
LGVM670(Thunder) Android Froyo / kernel bugs were fixed.

Maybe the source code was fixed i dunno. I would try myself but i don't have my own computer.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope you are still working on this! Let me know if I can be any help, I don't read the V forum super-often so I just saw your kernel. PM me to be sure I see it.

KNOWN ISSUES
  • When compiling from source about halfway through, minigzip comes up as 'not found'. I had to download the zlib sources and build/install zlib from source in order for the kernel to compile successfully.
  • Hopefully, I signed the zip file correctly. If not, let me know.
  • Fix issue where the kernel panics and the phone gets stuck at the LG screen.

minigzip binary is actually precompiled and sitting in scripts/. So, you just need to put ~/path_to/kernel/scripts in your PATH and then it will work. Or you can edit scripts/Makefile.lib and put whatever gzip command (i.e. "gzip -9") you want in place of minigzip ... I use 7zip for slightly better DEFLATE than zlib. They're doing minigzip -9 which is identical to gzip -9 since both are zlib.

Re: signing the zip I don't know what you mean, I thought you were making a boot.img? There is no signing with that. But if you were talking flashable .zip, then yeah, you have to sign.

If you are making a boot.img, make sure you use the right base address ... that is something that will leave you stuck on the LG screen if you get it wrong. It is 0x12200000. Took me so long to figure that out I wrote a whole blog post about it. Bad memories. :)

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope you are still working on this! Let me know if I can be any help, I don't read the V forum super-often so I just saw your kernel. PM me to be sure I see it.

I'll be sure to send you a binary sometime, as well as the source.

minigzip binary is actually precompiled and sitting in scripts/. So, you just need to put ~/path_to/kernel/scripts in your PATH and then it will work. Or you can edit scripts/Makefile.lib and put whatever gzip command (i.e. "gzip -9") you want in place of minigzip ... I use 7zip for slightly better DEFLATE than zlib. They're doing minigzip -9 which is identical to gzip -9 since both are zlib.

I found the minigzip you mentioned, only to find that my Ubuntu Virtual Machine segfaults when it is run. I just decided to download the latest minigzip sources.

Re: signing the zip I don't know what you mean, I thought you were making a boot.img? There is no signing with that. But if you were talking flashable .zip, then yeah, you have to sign.

If you are making a boot.img, make sure you use the right base address ... that is something that will leave you stuck on the LG screen if you get it wrong. It is 0x12200000. Took me so long to figure that out I wrote a whole blog post about it. Bad memories. :)

The next release is going to an Anykernel only release, just as soon as I can get it to work. Right now, I'm still having some problems getting the kernel to get past the LG screen, even with AnyKernel.

Last edited:

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I got the kernel sources posted up, even though I can't compile a working binary worth a damn. If anyone can do this, post your working results and (if you can) let me know what you used to make your build environment. Thanks.

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, thanks to picasticks, I figured out why my kernel failed to work (the sources got corrupted). A fresh download and test later, and we have WORKING KERNEL!

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay, thanks to picasticks, I figured out why my kernel failed to work (the sources got corrupted). A fresh download and test later, and we have WORKING KERNEL!

Nice job!
Oppy kernels and ROMS are being tossed out all over the place like easter eggs! So much to check out, I love it. Keep up the great work!

-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech