ARCHIVED: [Kernel] Picasticks OC kernel built from LG source for Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm thinking about switching to aphrodite from rodimus myself... I would just like to be able to use some themes pretty easily. I hope someone creates some :)

rodimus is great for battery, but Ive had issues with bluetooth crashing on pairing...

I think I'll wait on aphrodite until someone natively uses this kernel and that rom instead of that rom with xionia and then picasticks on top of it.

Last edited:

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Update: About 7 hours of uptime, battery is at 75%, with two hours of TuneIn radio running in the background. With WiFi on as well, so far I'd consider it quite good on battery life.

First possible (I stress possible, here) issue I've noticed is Auto-Rotation not working. I noticed it when browsing and using YouTube. Mind, this could absolutely be something I've done wrong, just something to bring up if anyone else can confirm or deny so I can poke around and see if it's a something I've done.

Thanks again.

-K

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I flashed RodimusRom then the kernel before booting. Then applied my theme. The accelerometer has worked fine even since.

Perhaps it was some left stuff from xionia, when switching from Xionia13 I did have accelerometer troubles.

Reactions: Kiernon

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I flashed RodimusRom then the kernel before booting. Then applied my theme. The accelerometer has worked fine even since.

Perhaps it was some left stuff from xionia, when switching from Xionia13 I did have accelerometer troubles.

Drezliok, I do believe you may be completely correct.

I went ahead and fully wiped, then fresh installed Aphrodite 1.3.3 (old faithful :D) and kernel flashed .7a over, and the accelerometer appears to now be working perfectly. Perhaps it's because the base of 1.3.3 is Xionia 005, or it was flashed overtop before reboot, but either way, it worked just fine for me and it's functioning perfectly as it should.

Much appreciated for the idea to adjust up the install method a bit!
Now to tinker a bit more. ;)

-K

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
As you go up in Xionia numbers, things get more and more experimental and further from the original code.

The same applies to CM7, it's even further from stock.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Drezliok, I do believe you may be completely correct.

I went ahead and fully wiped, then fresh installed Aphrodite 1.3.3 (old faithful :D) and kernel flashed .7a over, and the accelerometer appears to now be working perfectly. Perhaps it's because the base of 1.3.3 is Xionia 005, or it was flashed overtop before reboot, but either way, it worked just fine for me and it's functioning perfectly as it should.

Much appreciated for the idea to adjust up the install method a bit!
Now to tinker a bit more. ;)

-K

Your signature brings back alot of memories of my C=64, the games I used to play lol!

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
As you go up in Xionia numbers, things get more and more experimental and further from the original code.

The same applies to CM7, it's even further from stock.

That's a great point that sort of bonked me over the head when Drezliok mentioned it. :p

I was well aware of the experimental state higher Xionia kernels would be for our device, and somehow completely spaced that would be a factor.

My own stupidity aside, I'm happy to report that so far, Aphrodite 1.3.3 and picasticks .7a play very nicely together thus far, and it's still smooth like butter.

This community never fails to impress! :)

-K

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My own stupidity aside, I'm happy to report that so far, Aphrodite 1.3.3 and picasticks .7a play very nicely together thus far, and it's still smooth like butter.

This community never fails to impress! :)

-K

Not stupid, most just don't consider how far off it has moved. The fact that we got any of the newer ones to work is surprising. I went over some change logs, but those don't tell even half the story about what all has gone on with the Xionia kernel.

But yeah, Aphrodite 1.3.3 really seems to love this kernel.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, if you flash any of the Xionia kernels from my post, you cannot flash directly to this or any other kernel without things breaking. You need to restore your nandroid backup first. I'll work on making a reversing zip, but until then, restoring your backup is the only way you can use this custom kernel.

Reactions: picasticks

overthinkingme

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, if you flash any of the Xionia kernels from my post, you cannot flash directly to this or any other kernel without things breaking. You need to restore your nandroid backup first. I'll work on making a reversing zip, but until then, restoring your backup is the only way you can use this custom kernel.

How about coming from a fresh install of rodimus?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
How about coming from a fresh install of rodimus?

You'll have to ask picasticks. I know that Rodimus has its own tweaks, and this kernel was made to work with the stock rom and drivers.

On the ports of Xionia that I made, I change the file sensors.thunderc.so to get the accelerometer to work with the kernel. When you flash this kernel, it doesn't change that file back to the stock one and that might be what is causing the problems. Rodimus might also have an incompatible sensors.thunderc.so. I don't know.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This could be an issue on Aphrodite 2.0.1 since I did toss Marzz kernel and files into it, I used his to avoid the Sprint animation.

The rest it shouldn't be so much of an issue, they use a standard Xionia kernel. We already know 1.3.3 std. works extremely well with this kernel. I also ran a quick test of it on Aphrodite Extra Pure, and it works fine there as well. Considering that it is 100% Opt. V, it shouldn't be a shock.

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I flashed this earlier today and I love it, everything is fast and smooth. I had only one problem, I could not get link2sd to work with any of the ext formats so after formatting 4 different times I finally got it to work with the partition formatted as FAT.

Sent from The Swann

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Rodimus uses Xionia 05, when I flashed fresh I did not let they system boot with Xionia. I flashed the new kernel into it so if there were any settings that get written at first boot would be for pickasticks.

Atleast that kinda what I was thinking. But if mmarz made adjustments for all the other kernels and not the 05 it might be safe to say you can flash over 05 but not any higher.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
For those of you coming from the Xionia Kernels I posted, use this to reverse the tweaks it installs before or after installing Picasticks Kernel. It returns files that are found in the stock kernel. I thought this was the best name for it:
OptimusV_Stock_Crap_signed.zip

Flash it in recovery.

I'm 99% sure it should fix the accelerometer issue. These files are different from what Rodimus uses. I'm not sure how that rom will react to these. Flash at your own risk. MAKE BACKUPS!

Reactions: picasticks

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick additional note on the Aphrodite front, then I'll let our fine Rodimus-using friends use the space for getting their kernel stuff discussed.

Echoing your findings, LeslieAnn, just wanting to second the extra-virgin ROM of 1.3.3 has been smooth and issue free, a same, mirrored experience I'm finding with 1.3.3 standard. Still a quick pass, but I'm not finding weirdness or issues at this point.

I suppose, like you said, coming from V kernel to a V kernel is probably a pretty practical idea. :)

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

-K

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, so maybe I will back up my apps today and load the extra virgin 1.3.3 of aphrodite, and then put picasticks on, as you have done.

Then I can get a nice clean experience with overclocking still present and the other benefits of picasticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.