05-01-2012 12:17 AM
917 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    something kinda annoying but in this rom when I log in with adb shell from my Windows 7 computer I get strange characters in front of unix command results looking like this
    ←[1;34m
    after googling it looks like maybe the box you're developing on has some sort of terminal color coding turned on

to fix I ran
    alias ls='ls --color=never'

Kinda throws me for a loop as I was thinking something screwy was happening with the file system when I was doing list file commands
    This is due to a problem with Windows not handling the color output from the busybox ls command. It's not due to my development system or anything like that. Android is linux, color output for "ls" is usually set by default in the shell profile startup on standard linux, so busybox defaults to displaying "ls" with color on.

One way around it is to create a toolbox link to ls, since the toolbox links are searched before the busybox links. Do this:
    Code:
    > adb remount
    remount succeeded
    > adb shell
    # cd /system/bin
    # ln -s toolbox ls
    # exit
    This fix will stay after rebooting. Technically, you now have two "ls" commands, but since the toolbox commands are searched first, the busybox ls command won't be executed.

There are terminals for Windows that will handle color output correctly, which the default "cmd" terminal doesn't. Ansicon will display the colors correctly. There are others, I think Terminator works too.
    05-19-2011 11:14 AM
    Thanks for that workaround.
    05-19-2011 01:25 PM
    This is due to a problem with Windows not handling the color output from the busybox ls command. It's not due to my development system or anything like that. Android is linux, color output for "ls" is usually set by default in the shell profile startup on standard linux, so busybox defaults to displaying "ls" with color on.
    The reason I say that is because no other ROM I've used does this. Maybe it's the newer version of Busybox as most have 1.16 or something. Regardless, it'd be nice if the ROM included turning it off- it's an annoying out of box experience.
    05-19-2011 01:45 PM
    thanks for this tip on using MyBackup Root. I think I'm going to use it for when I'm on Froyo and Titanium if I ever switch back to Gingerbread. At least I'll have backups of my apps for either version... something like that
    05-19-2011 01:51 PM
    The reason I say that is because no other ROM I've used does this. Maybe it's the newer version of Busybox as most have 1.16 or something. Regardless, it'd be nice if the ROM included turning it off- it's an annoying out of box experience.
    I'll have it as an option in the next update.
    05-19-2011 04:24 PM
    I've gotten a few requests to update my black bar mod for the newest version. I'll work on it tonight if I get time.
    05-19-2011 05:01 PM
    I've gotten a few requests to update my black bar mod for the newest version. I'll work on it tonight if I get time.
    yes!!! thanks
    05-19-2011 05:36 PM
    yes!!! thanks
    Testing it now, should be up shortly.
    05-19-2011 10:54 PM
    Okay, the status bar is finished.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...89/blackBB.zip

In the future, I would be fine if this were included as an option in the OP.
    economichitman likes this.
    05-19-2011 11:26 PM
    I tried to download the update_bb_rom_2.2 but the link sends me to download the update_bb_rom_2.1?
    05-20-2011 12:06 AM

Works great,thanks again!
    05-20-2011 12:16 AM

wow. thanks for this! quick question. if i flashed the other Bar in this thread will flashing this one give me the proper framework back or do I need to reflash and then flash this new bar? thanks!

p.s. would like to see this linked in the OP as well. it makes a great rom even better!
    05-20-2011 11:17 AM
    wow. thanks for this! quick question. if i flashed the other Bar in this thread will flashing this one give me the proper framework back or do I need to reflash and then flash this new bar? thanks!

p.s. would like to see this linked in the OP as well. it makes a great rom even better!
    you could just flash this one over the old one. wipe your cache before you do it
    05-20-2011 02:05 PM
    First off, thanks for your hard work, this is excellent ROM!

Question: does the kernel include CIFS module so I can use CIFS manager? If not, what's the best way to add it?

Thanks in advance...
    05-20-2011 03:02 PM
    Bumble Bee Vs. Harmonia Vs. Reborn?

Which one is better in battery life/ performance? On a scale from one to ten rate them each please if you guys could
    05-20-2011 03:32 PM

Yeah, it will work fine even if you flashed the other one already. It just contains a modified framework and services.jar, which are now based off of the 2.1 versions so they include all the recent fixes.
    05-20-2011 04:02 PM

i couldnt find this anywhere. thanks man! someone should put it in the OP
    05-20-2011 04:27 PM
    Just wanted to say THANKS for all your hard work ObiJohn! What a fantastic ROM/Kernel you have given us! I love it! So happy to see you working on it and giving us all these updates, keep it coming!! we are really grateful!
    zoidberg_md likes this.
    05-20-2011 05:48 PM
    Yeah, it will work fine even if you flashed the other one already. It just contains a modified framework and services.jar, which are now based off of the 2.1 versions so they include all the recent fixes.
    thanks!
    zoidberg_md likes this.
    05-20-2011 07:07 PM
    Thanks you ObiJohn for the great rom...awesome

and thanks for jromano89 for the great mod...love the status bar...

I love the android community
    05-20-2011 07:53 PM
    You guys should be thanking the dev's (Qliratu, Mendozinas & Avreen) of the theme kitchen for the statusbar mods

UOT Kitchen
    05-20-2011 07:59 PM
    thanks Qliratu, Mendozinas and Avreen...
    05-20-2011 08:20 PM
    Since the TWOS fix in the ROM, I've been noticing data dropping much more frequently. I have to reboot at least twice a day if not more which could account for the lessened battery life. The TWOS may not be the cause of more frequent data drops, just expressing a correlation between the occurrences. Prior to that change in the ROM I maybe had to reboot once every couple of days.
    05-21-2011 06:15 AM
    I tried to download the update_bb_rom_2.2 but the link sends me to download the update_bb_rom_2.1?
    Anyone else even notice this?
    05-21-2011 09:46 AM
    Since the TWOS fix in the ROM, I've been noticing data dropping much more frequently. I have to reboot at least twice a day if not more which could account for the lessened battery life. The TWOS may not be the cause of more frequent data drops, just expressing a correlation between the occurrences. Prior to that change in the ROM I maybe had to reboot once every couple of days.
    Data connectivity drops have something to do with faulty communication between the radio and tower, my guess is that there are bugs in the radio firmware. I actually had many more data drops before the TWS bugfix (like every time I made or received a call. Every time, literally. Several times a day.). I don't get nearly so many data connectivity drops now, but I'm sure every situation is different depending on the towers in your area.

If you do notice that you loose data connectivity, you don't have to reboot. Toggle Airplane Mode for 15 seconds or so. That seems to reset the data connection with the tower. If toggling Airplane Mode doesn't reset the data, run the Activate app. It will exit with an error at the end if you're already activated, but it seems to reset data connectivity as well. Before the TWS bugfix, I had to reboot to reset the data connection or use the Activate app. Now, after the bugfix, just toggling Airplane Mode resets the connection every time I've tried it.

As I said, I had multiple data drops before the fix, but it does still happen every once in a while even now, maybe once every other day or so for me. And if there's an app that's actively trying to poll for data and the 3G data connection is stuck, it will drain the battery pretty fast.
    05-21-2011 10:21 AM
917 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD