05-01-2012 12:17 AM
917 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    I tried to download the update_bb_rom_2.2 but the link sends me to download the update_bb_rom_2.1?
    That's just a typo in the post, 2.1 is the correct version. If you check the md5 sum it's the same. I thought I had corrected the typo, but I guess when I updated the post to add the non-overclocked kernel option, it crept back in.
    05-21-2011 10:23 AM
    That's just a typo in the post, 2.1 is the correct version. If you check the md5 sum it's the same. I thought I had corrected the typo, but I guess when I updated the post to add the non-overclocked kernel option, it crept back in.
    ok kewl thanks
    05-21-2011 11:32 AM
    Hey obijohn

there seems to be an issue with droidwall breaking sl4a. It seems like before Droidwall is installed, sl4a works just fine, but after running droidwall (and even turning it off) sl4a force closes all the time, and won't work again even after uninstalling and reinstalling (though droidwall continues to be functional). Any ideas? There has never been this kind of conflict with other roms I've tried.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    05-21-2011 06:25 PM
    Hey obijohn

there seems to be an issue with droidwall breaking sl4a. It seems like before Droidwall is installed, sl4a works just fine, but after running droidwall (and even turning it off) sl4a force closes all the time, and won't work again even after uninstalling and reinstalling (though droidwall continues to be functional). Any ideas? There has never been this kind of conflict with other roms I've tried.

This is caused by the ad-blocking /etc/hosts file. It is supplied by mvps.org as-is, but I will be making a modification to it to fix localhost resolving on Android. For now, you can do this (it will be a permanent fix, no need to re-boot or anything):
    Code:
    $ adb remount
    remount succeeded 
    $ adb shell
    # echo 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost >> /etc/hosts
    # exit
    sl4a will now work as expected.
    theboundless and java007 like this.
    05-21-2011 10:20 PM
    Dude, your android knowledge and response time is ridiculous! All is working well with sl4a, thanks a lot man.
    05-22-2011 01:07 AM
    If you do notice that you loose data connectivity, you don't have to reboot. Toggle Airplane Mode for 15 seconds or so. That seems to reset the data connection with the tower. If toggling Airplane Mode doesn't reset the data, run the Activate app. It will exit with an error at the end if you're already activated, but it seems to reset data connectivity as well. Before the TWS bugfix, I had to reboot to reset the data connection or use the Activate app. Now, after the bugfix, just toggling Airplane Mode resets the connection every time I've tried it.

As I said, I had multiple data drops before the fix, but it does still happen every once in a while even now, maybe once every other day or so for me. And if there's an app that's actively trying to poll for data and the 3G data connection is stuck, it will drain the battery pretty fast.
    I actually went back to using zachxtr's 50fix utility at boot and I did not have to reboot at all yesterday (and yes, I have to reboot because toggling does not bring back my connection).

I figured that the excessive battery drain was attributed in part to the data polling during drops. I still have *some* elevated battery drain. On standby went from 1% per hour to 5% per hour with no changes from previous configurations. Though could be due to an update in an app, I suppose.
    05-22-2011 07:00 AM
    I actually went back to using zachxtr's 50fix utility at boot and I did not have to reboot at all yesterday (and yes, I have to reboot because toggling does not bring back my connection).

I figured that the excessive battery drain was attributed in part to the data polling during drops. I still have *some* elevated battery drain. On standby went from 1% per hour to 5% per hour with no changes from previous configurations. Though could be due to an update in an app, I suppose.
    You do realize that xtr50fix just toggles airplane mode, right? It's possible that when you toggled airplane mode yourself you didn't leave it off long enough before turning the radio back on.

Anyway, this "stuck data" issue isn't related to the TWS 50% bug, other than they may be both triggered by faulty radio/tower communication. Here's a senario that summarizes what I think is going on when the data connection is stuck: the radio first requests some kind of response from the tower, so the tower sends it, but the radio dropps it for whatever reason (maybe there's also a flaw in the tower where it didn't actually send the response but thinks it did), so the radio requests it again optimistically like a geek asking out a cheerleader to the prom, but the tower says "no I already sent that you *****", and the radio just sits there waiting for the response it'll never get (because geeks are forever hopeful that the cheerleader will someday say "yes").

So, yeah, the battery drain will be greater when the data connection is stuck like that. Look back a couple of posts where I discuss a fix to /etc/hosts. It could be that the fix I mention there also helps with battery drain on certain apps (after I applied the fix myself, I noticed improved overall battery life, but that may just be due to the fix helping a poorly written app).
    05-22-2011 09:31 AM
    You do realize that xtr50fix just toggles airplane mode, right? .
    Yes, I do realize that, however it does it on phone boot only.
    05-22-2011 12:09 PM

What do u guys think of my BumbleBee themed BumbleBee ROM
    05-22-2011 06:27 PM
    Information overload, But it does look nice,
    05-22-2011 07:44 PM

What do u guys think of my BumbleBee themed BumbleBee ROM
    Looks cool. Sorry to have to make you redo it again, but I just updated the ROM.
    05-23-2011 12:19 AM
    You chose the boot animation I've been manually installing in all the V roms I've used >_<

05-23-2011 01:01 AM
    Nice update... Everything working so far including the black status bar mod. One question I have is, how can I push the modified mms.apk to this? I tried pulling it from Aosp and it appeared to install correctly, but would not allow txts to be sent or received.

05-23-2011 03:11 AM
    Nice update... Everything working so far including the black status bar mod. One question I have is, how can I push the modified mms.apk to this? I tried pulling it from Aosp and it appeared to install correctly, but would not allow txts to be sent or received.

did you do this before the update?
    05-23-2011 05:10 AM

Why are you trying to use a 2.3.4 mms.apk with a 2.2.1 rom?
    05-23-2011 08:52 AM
    Why are you trying to use a 2.3.4 mms.apk with a 2.2.1 rom?
    i think it's because he thinks the mms on this rom is broken
    05-23-2011 08:57 AM

BumbleBee 2.3 Blackbar Mod with battery status
    Use with Edify scripting recoveries (CWMOD).
    Turn verification off because I did not sign it.

Download: bb2.3blackbar.zip
    05-23-2011 09:52 AM
    Really I just like the stock mms.apk with a black background...gosms or handcent has more than I care for. Is there a 2.2.1 mms.apk that people are using with this room? If not, no worries.

05-23-2011 11:16 AM
    Really I just like the stock mms.apk with a black background...gosms or handcent has more than I care for. Is there a 2.2.1 mms.apk that people are using with this room? If not, no worries.

If u like the stock mms.apk style why were u wanting to use AOSP's .apk which is 2.3.4 and stock is 2.2.1?

stock = what came with the phone when u bought it.

P.S. All these ROMs come with their own mms.apk and all the 2.2.1 ROMs are stock mms.apk
    05-23-2011 11:35 AM
    I'm a complete novice... That is why I'm asking here...i also tried a 2.2.1 mms.apk from cyanogmod. The modified stock mms.apk from Koush is really nice

05-23-2011 11:54 AM
    I'm a complete novice... That is why I'm asking here...i also tried a 2.2.1 mms.apk from cyanogmod. The modified stock mms.apk from Koush is really nice

If you're messing around with pulling the mms apk's from other roms trying to find the best one, you're really heading down the wrong road. You should check out GO SMS Pro, which is my sms/mms app of choice. It's free, the "Pro" bit means it has pro features, not that it's a paid version. None of the various rom mms apps will ever come close to it in terms of features, looks, functionality, whatever. It's just an amazing app, so customizable, themes with live backgrounds, automatic backup or SMS messages... well, too many features to list.

I use most of their apps: GO Launcher EX, GO Contacts, GO Dialer, and of course GO SMS Pro. Fantastic stuff.
    05-23-2011 02:29 PM
    Thanks. I am currently using gosms.
    Loving the ROM. Thanks! I'm not have the data dropping issues with this ROM, where it seems I have to do an airplane mode cycle every few hours with others. Maybe just a coincidence, I don't know

05-23-2011 02:57 PM
    Hi obijohn

I know mentioned using different keys for the 2.3 version of your rom, and I have no problem installing all of my apps except one, Laputa pro. Any ideas why?

05-23-2011 05:15 PM
    Hi obijohn

I know mentioned using different keys for the 2.3 version of your rom, and I have no problem installing all of my apps except one, Laputa pro. Any ideas why?

The thing the signing keys affected was updating the pre-installed system apps, like Google Search, Voice Search, KickBack, etc. These are now fixed and upgradable, whereas before there was a problem with the keys. But this should not (and cannot) have any effect on 3rd-party apps. Maybe something didn't get wiped cleanly or there's a problem with your backup?
    05-23-2011 05:26 PM
    Thanks, I'll try again, maybe it was a wipe issue.

05-23-2011 06:01 PM
917 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD