ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have notice a decrease in battery life. I did a full charge & wiped the battery stats so will see how it does over the next few days as it readjusts.
I've also noticed, since the TWOS fix, that I'm dropping data more frequently. Not sure if that is a cause, just expressing a correlation. Other than that, though, very pleased with this ROM.

Just an FYI, each install is a clean and thorough wipe with fresh installs and setups on all apps.
I don't restore as I prefer starting fresh and clean. I do, however, use App List Backup to backup the list of apps on my phone so I don't forget any when reinstalling.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
No I don't use skype, and as I said they are the same apps I use on aosp. I switched back and it only took a couple hours to charge from 19% to full charge. Last night on Bumblebee it took 5 hours to charge from 52%. I've been running for an hour now and have only lost 2%, in the first hour this morning I lost almost 10%. If I'm using the same apps on two different roms then I would think the difference in battery usage would have to be the rom.

If you restored the apps and data that you had on aosp when you installed bumblebee, that is most likely your problem right there. I get a bit less than 1% per minute charging, so it's definitely not the rom.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Not a back up. Did a clean install of everything. Wiped everything, data, cache, dalvik, wiped battery stats, and installed all apps from the market. If you look at a few of the previous post, others are also having problems with the battery life.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that you're not experiencing higher than usual battery drain, I'm just saying that I'm not experiencing it. That tells me there's something different about your setup than mine, which can only be apps. Nothing in the new version of the rom has changed that could possibly affect battery life. It's hard for me to figure out what the problem might be when I'm not experiencing it myself, but if you read through the thread you'll see that whenever an issue has been identified I've always fixed it as quickly as possible.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
i first installed link2sd, then rebooted, titanium backup restored apps with link2sd autolinking the app/lib files and everything is working fine. couple of apps didn't link right but linking them manually solved it
It's something to do with restoring and Dalvik. I don't use links or Titanium.

My phone takes about 1 hour to charge from 50% on a wall charger. Maybe it's your USB cable.
Charging from a USB is known to be slower than from a charger.

When charging from a USB port the amperage is limited due to usb specifications, a charger on the other hand doesn't have this limitation.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It could be that your phone just can't handle the overclocking. I'll be posting a stock speed kernel (but still overclockable if you want with SetCPU) probably tomorrow and you can try that.
Or perhaps just lower the default overclock from 768 to 729. That's a pretty safe bet to work on all phones.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's something to do with restoring and Dalvik. I don't use links or Titanium.

Charging from a USB is known to be slower than from a charger.

When charging from a USB port the amperage is limited due to usb specifications, a charger on the other hand doesn't have this limitation.
Your typical computer USB port can push out 500mA, but laptops generally push out less than that. Some USB ports are capable of pushing out 1A or more now, to accommodate charging iPad and other high power-draw devices. I had to install a utility for my Gigabyte motherboard to enable "Quick Charge" on the front USB ports.

The stock LG charger is 700mA.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Your typical computer USB port can push out 500mA, but laptops generally push out less than that. Some USB ports are capable of pushing out 1A or more now, to accommodate charging iPad and other high power-draw devices. I had to install a utility for my Gigabyte motherboard to enable "Quick Charge" on the front USB ports.

The stock LG charger is 700mA.

And for this reason the phone doesn't go above 500 on a usb port. The computer is supposed to complain if it goes over.

As for the stock charger...
Chargers aren't actually well regulated. They can go higher or lower depending on the power coming in.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Or perhaps just lower the default overclock from 768 to 729. That's a pretty safe bet to work on all phones.

Well I thought 768 would be safe. lol

Anyway, I've posted a version of the kernel that is not overclocked by default (still overclockable with SetCPU though).

shawne11

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I had never overclocked before installing this rom and was having reboots after installation. I downloaded Set CPU (before the new kernal arrived) and dropped it to 729 and everything including battery life has been solid since. Thanks again obijohn.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have seen the tutorial for changing the time color to white in the status bar. This looks either too involved or I am simply too lazy to try it. Is there a tutorial floating around that I can't find or simple directions on how to remove the clock altogether? I would rather go this route as with a clock widget you don't need the status bar one. I saw somewhere you space it out on the display so it's actually off the screen but not sure if this is correct and/or how to do it. Thanks in advance. :)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
something kinda annoying but in this rom when I log in with adb shell from my Windows 7 computer I get strange characters in front of unix command results looking like this
←[1;34m
after googling it looks like maybe the box you're developing on has some sort of terminal color coding turned on

to fix I ran
alias ls='ls --color=never'

Kinda throws me for a loop as I was thinking something screwy was happening with the file system when I was doing list file commands

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
something kinda annoying but in this rom when I log in with adb shell from my Windows 7 computer I get strange characters in front of unix command results looking like this
←[1;34m
after googling it looks like maybe the box you're developing on has some sort of terminal color coding turned on

to fix I ran
alias ls='ls --color=never'

Kinda throws me for a loop as I was thinking something screwy was happening with the file system when I was doing list file commands

This is due to a problem with Windows not handling the color output from the busybox ls command. It's not due to my development system or anything like that. Android is linux, color output for "ls" is usually set by default in the shell profile startup on standard linux, so busybox defaults to displaying "ls" with color on.

One way around it is to create a toolbox link to ls, since the toolbox links are searched before the busybox links. Do this:
Code:
> adb remount
remount succeeded
> adb shell
# cd /system/bin
# ln -s toolbox ls
# exit
This fix will stay after rebooting. Technically, you now have two "ls" commands, but since the toolbox commands are searched first, the busybox ls command won't be executed.

There are terminals for Windows that will handle color output correctly, which the default "cmd" terminal doesn't. Ansicon will display the colors correctly. There are others, I think Terminator works too.

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This is due to a problem with Windows not handling the color output from the busybox ls command. It's not due to my development system or anything like that. Android is linux, color output for "ls" is usually set by default in the shell profile startup on standard linux, so busybox defaults to displaying "ls" with color on.

The reason I say that is because no other ROM I've used does this. Maybe it's the newer version of Busybox as most have 1.16 or something. Regardless, it'd be nice if the ROM included turning it off- it's an annoying out of box experience.

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
thanks for this tip on using MyBackup Root. I think I'm going to use it for when I'm on Froyo and Titanium if I ever switch back to Gingerbread. At least I'll have backups of my apps for either version... something like that :)

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The reason I say that is because no other ROM I've used does this. Maybe it's the newer version of Busybox as most have 1.16 or something. Regardless, it'd be nice if the ROM included turning it off- it's an annoying out of box experience.

I'll have it as an option in the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.