05-01-2012 01:17 AM
917 ... 56789 ...
tools
    1.15 update now posted, fixes app installation issues (no need to install if 1.14 was working for you, only if you had app installation problems)
    I love your rom! TThe thing is fast and you fixed it in no time! The only problem is the theme but I can manage by with your awesome rom. Thanks bud
    05-03-2011 04:09 PM
    I knew this was the ROM for me from when the topic was first created. Great work!

Minor cosmetic thing: Google spelling during ROM install: "Installing Googls apps to /data/app..."

Is an SD card speed booster (e.g. SD-Booster) worthwhile to use with this ROM when using Link2SD?
    05-04-2011 02:04 AM
    great stuff, fastest rom i tested, and i tested all of the one out right now :P great job
    05-04-2011 09:50 AM
    I knew this was the ROM for me from when the topic was first created. Great work!

Minor cosmetic thing: Google spelling during ROM install: "Installing Googls apps to /data/app..."

Is an SD card speed booster (e.g. SD-Booster) worthwhile to use with this ROM when using Link2SD?
    Thanks for spotting the typo.

As for the sd speed booster, well the setting depends on your individual sd card. The first thing is to make sure you've got a Class 6 or better card. Then you can play around with the read_ahead_kb buffer (which is what that app does) to find the optimal setting for your card. BTW, you don't need the app, you can do it in an init.d script. See this thread for more info.
    05-04-2011 11:06 AM
    Obi, is it possible to add a "Reboot" and "Reboot into Recovery" to the shutdown menu? I know the phone responds to these commands as the ROMtools program can send them to the phone.
    05-04-2011 11:11 AM
    Obi, is it possible to add a "Reboot" and "Reboot into Recovery" to the shutdown menu? I know the phone responds to these commands as the ROMtools program can send them to the phone.
    Just download the app "Quick Boot (Reboot)" and place a shortcut on your home screen for which type of reboot you would like. It has several options.
    05-04-2011 12:12 PM
    Just download the app "Quick Boot (Reboot)" and place a shortcut on your home screen for which type of reboot you would like. It has several options.
    I'd like it to be built into the ROM/Kernel, but I can use your suggestion until then. Thanks.
    05-04-2011 12:36 PM
    After using stock + Xiona 5 & 8 and last couple AOSP builds, this is by far the best rom + kernel so far. Rock stable, super fast, and great battery life. Compliments to the chef!

One thing though, does anyone know how to get the gingerbread keyboard on 2.2?
    05-04-2011 02:52 PM
    There is an app on the market for the Gingerbread keyboard.

Sent from my topless assistant
    05-04-2011 03:53 PM
    I've been looking into adding some features such as this, but not in a "hacky" way such as borrowing another ROM's framework.jar or whatever. I just started working with the complete Froyo source branch, with LG's hardware-specific additions merged in (which are bundled as a tarball when you download the LG kernel source). Actually just getting it compiled was an eye opener. The Android source by itself is almost 3GB (a note on the download page says that the repo sync might take "several minutes" -- riiiiiiiight, maybe if you've got a 50+MB download pipe, it took me almost 2 hours), and compiling it takes almost 10GB of drive space.

I'm now in the testing stage. Not sure what I might run into in testing, so no promises on when that version of Bumblebee will be released. But I'll keep updating the current version with fixes and whatnot. Right now I'm not happy with my decision to put the Google apps on /data/app, they probably shouldn't be bundled at all, just installed as a separate zip.

So, anyway, stay tuned.
    05-04-2011 11:07 PM
    ^^ Awesome, keep up the good work
    05-04-2011 11:11 PM
    Just installed the latest version (full wipe 1.15). Love that option. Saves me from doing it myself, lol.

Flashed rom
    Flashed data2ext zip
    Booted up
    Setup ext4 partition and activated data2ext
    Rebooted
    Reinstalled Titanium Backup via adb
    Restored Titanium Backup (App+data)

All is well. Was up and running within 10-minutes. Does not get much better then that.
    05-05-2011 04:45 AM
    I like the idea of using a gapps zip. it allows you to manage your own apps much better.
    05-05-2011 11:52 AM
    I just wanted to give big props to obijohn for this great ROM. I was only using the Bumblebee kernel until I decided to switch to the ROM last night, and my battery life so far has been much improved. Time will tell if this keeps up, but so far, I'm very impressed.

I should mention that Google Talk was one of the removed apps, but I couldn't find it in the Market. I ended up downloading the apk elsewhere, but maybe Talk shouldn't be one of the removed apps?
    05-05-2011 02:46 PM
    Just testing this ROM out for the first time (longtime user of AOSP). I like what I am seeing so far.

I happen to be one of those lucky few who has an Optimus V stable at 864 MHz. Rather than install SetCPU, is there some manual tweak that I can do to one of the files on this ROM to have the range from 600-825MHz (battery optimal range, from what I have gathered in reading threads)?

Thanks for letting me know.
    05-05-2011 02:55 PM
    A couple of quick comments/questions.

I like the included Tether app; complements my purchased EasyTether Pro (with USB tethering) nicely. Is the Tether app a full-infrastructure WiFi tethering app, or just an ad-hoc WiFi tethering app? And, to round out the possibilities re: tethering, is there a BT PAN/DUN tethering app available for use with your ROM (desired by me for fact that it has much lower power requirements than WiFi tethering)?

The soundback/talkback/kickback applications are NOT the latest available from the market. Don't know if you want to update them in your next ROM version, but I did so on my phone.

Also, in this ROM, the /data partition seems awfully full, and I am wondering if this might have to do with fact that dalvik cache has not been move to the /cache partition. If that is the case, do you have plans to move the dalvik cache to the /cache partition? And, regardless of whether you do, care to point me to how to do so (both for my Optimus V, and for me to try on my LG Thrive (ATT)) (I have searched, and cannot find a definitive answer on how to do so)?

Thanks again, and great ROM (so far).
    05-05-2011 04:20 PM
    I know it is bad to do system reset from within the rom, why dont all rooted roms remove that function? Is it possible?
    05-05-2011 05:00 PM
    I know it is bad to do system reset from within the rom, why dont all rooted roms remove that function? Is it possible?
    My guess? Noob trap.
    05-05-2011 05:03 PM
    Why is doing a factory reset bad?
    05-05-2011 05:23 PM
    Why is doing a factory reset bad?
    Because we use custom recoveries. If you want to wipe, use the recovery instead.
    05-05-2011 05:53 PM
    Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize the wipe options in the recovery were the same as the factory reset.
    fgullama likes this.
    05-05-2011 05:55 PM

I like the included Tether app; complements my purchased EasyTether Pro (with USB tethering) nicely. Is the Tether app a full-infrastructure WiFi tethering app, or just an ad-hoc WiFi tethering app? And, to round out the possibilities re: tethering, is there a BT PAN/DUN tethering app available for use with your ROM (desired by me for fact that it has much lower power requirements than WiFi tethering)?

The soundback/talkback/kickback applications are NOT the latest available from the market. Don't know if you want to update them in your next ROM version, but I did so on my phone.

Also, in this ROM, the /data partition seems awfully full, and I am wondering if this might have to do with fact that dalvik cache has not been move to the /cache partition. If that is the case, do you have plans to move the dalvik cache to the /cache partition? And, regardless of whether you do, care to point me to how to do so (both for my Optimus V, and for me to try on my LG Thrive (ATT)) (I have searched, and cannot find a definitive answer on how to do so)?

Just wanted to chime in on two things:

1) Tethering is infrastructure mode.
    2) obijohn can probably elaborate on this, but I'm pretty sure that the Soundback/Talkback/Kickback included are little more than placeholders.
    sd_matto likes this.
    05-05-2011 07:01 PM
    Just wanted to chime in on two things:

1) Tethering is infrastructure mode.
    2) obijohn can probably elaborate on this, but I'm pretty sure that the Soundback/Talkback/Kickback included are little more than placeholders.
    No, they do work. Turn them on under Settings->Accessibility (they're disabled until you turn on the top Accessibility checkbox).
    05-05-2011 11:52 PM
    DAMN! I just tried 1.15 today, now there is 1.17? LOL I love all these updates, good job john.
    05-05-2011 11:54 PM

As mentioned already, wifi tethering is infrastructure mode. I haven't looked into the BT tethering. All the functionality is there, I'll take a look.
    Thanks, I'll update them for the next release.

I've been looking into this but I haven't found a good all-around solution yet. One problem is that just about any setup for it will get hosed if the use wipes data and/or cache in recovery (if they wipe data, it wipes the link or bind mount, if they wipe cache, the link or bind will not point to anything when the phone boots) resulting in boot loops and other nasties.

Since Bumblebee has init.d support enabled by default, I've been playing around with some possibilities. I'm not satisfied yet, but when/if I am, it'll be included or offered as a flash option.
    sd_matto likes this.
    05-06-2011 12:00 AM
917 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD