ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After my recovery debacle, happy to report Bumblebee is up and kicking now.

Similar to Takenover, after ROM and kernel install, confirmed everything installed properly, I then installed Astro and SetCPU, and tested basic phone functions, and they all seem to work just fine.
As advertised, keys were correctly mapped, and no issues.
Adjust SetCPU to specs on my profile, then installed Quadrant Standard, rebooted, and did a 3 run shot for numbers after start-up was fully completed. Here's what I came up with:

Feels quite good. Snappy and responsive thus far. I'll give it some time for battery life checkage and play with it some more.

The version of Android Market in this ROM is quite neat. First time I've seen this layout for it as opposed to stock and other ROMS I've tried.
gKZRn.png

-K

Last edited:

spaced

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The version of Android Market in this ROM is quite neat. First time I've seen this layout for it as opposed to stock and other ROMS I've tried.
gKZRn.png

-K

this looks like the old market, gonna give this rom a go it sounds nice

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah, this is my first android device, so I wouldn't had known what the old one looked like. :p

To be honest, I kind of prefer it...

-K

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
this looks like the old market, gonna give this rom a go it sounds nice

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

The Market updates itself silently. Run it once, then the next time it's loaded it will have the new look again.

I noticed that GMail, Youtube, and perhaps one other have had recent updates since I dumped from stock, so the next ROM update will have the newer versions. I have no idea if the Market update itself is actually contained in the apk (I could have sworn it was the new version when I dumped it, but I may be wrong), but when I update the ROM next week I will make sure it's the apk is dumped after it has updated itself.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When overclocking, what's the best way to test for stability? Repeatedly run the SetCPU stress test at increasing speeds until my phone reboots? And how long should I run the test for at each speed?

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought the V doesn't change voltage at all? Which is why mmarz found in his testing that there is no point to underclocking at idle. Have you tried in your case just setting it to Performance mode and locking the CPU at 806Mhz? It seems that would eliminate some CPU cycles from not having to do any load sampling without reducing battery life.

Using the performance governor will not show any noticeable increase in battery drain when the CPU is idle, that is true. However, when the CPU is called on to do a brief task, if you have it set at 806/performance then it will draw more power for that task than if you had it set at 480-806/interactive and the task only required 480mhz. The interactive governor doesn't poll, it only switches frequency when coming out of idle.

My comment about there being a "voltage change" if the CPU changes frequencies from 122 to 480, which it would do for any brief task at all, was based on an article I recently read about the msm7627 CPU when I was trying to tweak the frequency OC code myself, but I can't find it now. If I can't locate that info, I may just edit that comment out of the OP since I may be remembering it wrong.

The CPU is very efficient all around, so most of this discussion really might not matter in the long run.

Is there any difference between the Activate app and just pressing ##847446# on the dialpad?

The dial trick won't work if you don't have the Activate app installed. I tested it without the app and it does nothing.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
When overclocking, what's the best way to test for stability? Repeatedly run the SetCPU stress test at increasing speeds until my phone reboots? And how long should I run the test for at each speed?

If you run the SetCPU Long test and the phone doesn't spontaneously reboot during the test, you should be golden.

There's also a chess app that is great for testing your CPU when you set on Computer vs. Computer mode (DroidFish Chess).

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
i keep getting the blue screen and swap different recoveries

Which ROM did you have before? Which recovery do you have? Did you wipe from recovery? Don't use the factory reset from the phone settings

Restore to your previous state, then wipe data from recovery, then install the ROM. I may upload a version that includes a data wipe later today, so check back and try that one if you're still having problems installing. Some recoveries don't wipe data properly.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you run the SetCPU Long test and the phone doesn't spontaneously reboot during the test, you should be golden.

There's also a chess app that is great for testing your CPU when you set on Computer vs. Computer mode (DroidFish Chess).

That's not true. It can take hours for an instability to creep up and it doesn't have to result in a reboot. It might just corrupt your files.. I would recommend running the stress test from setcpu for at least 20-30 and see if it reports any errors. That would be a good start to see if your clock speed of choice is stable for your hardware.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
reinstalled rodimus with no problem

Ok, great, but that doesn't tell me anything. Please see my original response to your post and answer the questions I asked so I can try to help you.

That's not true. It can take hours for an instability to creep up and it doesn't have to result in a reboot. It might just corrupt your files.. I would recommend running the stress test from setcpu for at least 20-30 and see if it reports any errors. That would be a good start to see if your clock speed of choice is stable for your hardware.

Yeah, I guess I'm being more forgiving that I should. The CPU instability depends on temp as well, so the longer you stress it the higher the temp will get which will show instabilities not present at lower temps. But for me, I've found that if the CPU is going to be unstable, it's going to crash pretty quickly under load. For example, setting mine to 824 in SetCPU is fine if there is no load. Simply starting any of the tests crashes almost instantly. However, 806 is perfectly stable for me and I simply can't get it to show any errors no matter how long I stress it. This whole thing might be more "iffy" if the frequency steps were finer-grained, but they're staged pretty well I think.

The SetCPU Stress test for 20-30 seconds is a good start, and if there are no errors reported I would suggest doing it for at least 2-3 minutes to let the temp build up some. If there are no errors after 2-3 minutes, I wouldn't worry about that frequency setting.

How do I remove the Virgin Mobile sound when it boots? The animation is gone but it still as the sound.
That's handled in init.rc which I edited to remove the sound. Do this. Plug in your phone, run "adb shell" and then "grep playmp3 /init.rc" and it should look like this:
Code:
> adb shell
# grep playmp3 /init.rc
# service bootsound /system/bin/playmp3
#
Note that the line with "service..." starts with a "#", which comments it out. If yours doesn't have a "#" on that line, your init.rc didn't get installed properly, which means something didn't go right with the kernel install. Try re-installing just the kernel update zip and it should work. Note that you can't just edit /init.rc and push it to your phone, since it gets re-written on every boot from the installed kernel boot image.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Wifi broke, I don't think its the rom. I used Titanium backup to put all my settings back. Jumped ship for now, I will test more later but for now I put my backup of rodimus back on. Found out I have too much to do today to be testing. :'(

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Wifi broke, I don't think its the rom. I used Titanium backup to put all my settings back. Jumped ship for now, I will test more later but for now I put my backup of rodimus back on. Found out I have too much to do today to be testing. :'(

Yeah, if you do a full TB restore, it restores data that should have been wiped when you wiped data. :)

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Compiled-in support for ext2/3/4. Works great with Links2SD

Can someone tell me more or less what ext2/3/4 advantage is? Also Links2SD, and how to install the rom with ext2/3/4, ive seen the option in recovery but never tried it. I'm goin with the obvious choice of sd card loading quicker and more memory, but just wonderin if this is different from rodimus rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34