Emergency Recovery Techniques (That Don't Currently Work!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand. Which cab file worked? Which method?

Where did you get this? This is a new baseband. This might be handy for all of us or it might be like you said, just to lock our phones.

I haven't fully gone through with any method yet. I'm trying to do this dumb stuff smart :D
anyways here's what I've done to get the cab. I was kinda worried about the phone drivers being correctly installed so I went ahead and installed the latest version of the updater. It said that there was an update for my phone. My girl has the optimus m so I've messed with this program and know that it stores the cab files in lgmobileax/phones. I also know that it deletes the phones directory upon completion or when you unplug your phone. So I went into the directory and copied it at and pasted it to my desktop before it was done.
One thing that I'm working on is when it gets done it opens the cab file and you get a new prl and other files which can be used to make a rom. They used this method to root the optimus m 2.2.1 update thanks to eddonnel. I'm not sure what this update is but if I've learned anything from sprint it's probably not good and lg doesn't have anything on their website about it

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks for the updates. I'm just eager to see if this works.

I'm tempted to try the new baseband, but then again, it might cause problems with the custom kernels we have currently.

I wonder when they well release the source for the update. It's not up so far.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I did use KP500 and the LG Updater to restore the stock VD software (over my already VD-baseband phone) last week on my Optimus S.

I mostly used sfhub's guide and everything worked fine. I downloaded the CAB directly from LG.

So, that is basically your method 2, except I just used my already-installed LG Updater.

S is slightly different from V, but your method 2 looks totally solid to me. KP500 is going to be as compatible for the V as it is for the S.

I then used the gingerbreak exploit to root, which was finicky since it's a buffer overflow (had to reboot and re-try 5 times), but worked fine in the end.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I did use KP500 and the LG Updater to restore the stock VD software (over my already VD-baseband phone) last week on my Optimus S.

I mostly used sfhub's guide and everything worked fine. I downloaded the CAB directly from LG.

So, that is basically your method 2, except I just used my already-installed LG Updater.

S is slightly different from V, but your method 2 looks totally solid to me. KP500 is going to be as compatible for the V as it is for the S.

I then used the gingerbreak exploit to root, which was finicky since it's a buffer overflow (had to reboot and re-try 5 times), but worked fine in the end.

Thanks for the info!

The problem is that the only two people that I have heard of that tried to install the firmware on the V using this technique both failed. While installing an error would pop up, and it wouldn't go any further. But they had both first installed an S firmware by accident. So I have no way of knowing if this works on the V until someone with a perfectly functioning phone tries it. I think it should work, but there are no confirmed reports yet.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

The problem is that the only two people that I have heard of that tried to install the firmware on the V using this technique both failed. While installing an error would pop up, and it wouldn't go any further. But they had both first installed an S firmware by accident. So I have no way of knowing if this works on the V until someone with a perfectly functioning phone tries it. I think it should work, but there are no confirmed reports yet.

That was my assumption too that it should work. Just hope it works so I don't feel dumb for suggesting it lol

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So I have no way of knowing if this works on the V until someone with a perfectly functioning phone tries it. I think it should work, but there are no confirmed reports yet.
And that right there kids is why I suggested a dev phone for the V community. Testing new roms and things like this. Kinda like how nameless rom devs dont have anything but other optimus v people to test on their daily driver.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I gotta ask a dumb question before I uninstall all my drivers and go through this. Am I the only person that has issues connecting to the updater when the phone is on? It'll connect while it the device is first coming on but then it'll stop connecting.
History of my phone for those wondering. Optimus v never used kp500 or kdz on it except in attempts to flash the stock and updated vm670 software

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I found that to be a rom/kernel issue. I'm not sure why. With Rodimus, I can connect with no problems. When I install the stock rom or Aphrodite, it only works when I turn the device off. If you read the XDA PRL thread, there are lots of people that report the same issue installing the drivers.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I found that to be a rom/kernel issue. I'm not sure why. With Rodimus, I can connect with no problems. When I install the stock rom or Aphrodite, it only works when I turn the device off. If you read the XDA PRL thread, there are lots of people that report the same issue installing the drivers.

I've been thinking about that as well I'm gonna try rhodimus. I notice that it connects when powering n my phone but then once it's fully on it disconnects. I tried the kdz method on both the .cabs but it's getting an error extracting.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just tried every single possible variation of the directions I posted. None of them worked. The KDZ updater can't extract the files, and the KP500 method gives the same error that has been reported before. I tried doing this on an unrooted stock phone with the same results. I think there is something wrong/missing from our cab files provided by LG.

Update:

The difference between the Optimus V Firmware cab files and the Optimus S Firmware cab files is that the S has a dll:
LS670_W_0_0_2_0.dll
I think this dll is responsible for explaining to the updater how to extract the cab file. Each S firmware version has a unique dll file. So I doubt we can use the S dll, on a V cab file.

:(

Last edited:
Reactions: asadullah

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just tried every single possible variation of the directions I posted. None of them worked. The KDZ updater can't extract the files, and the KP500 method gives the same error that has been reported before. I tried doing this on an unrooted stock phone with the same results. I think there is something wrong/missing from our cab files provided by LG.

Update:

The difference between the Optimus V Firmware cab files and the Optimus S Firmware cab files is that the S has a dll:
LS670_W_0_0_2_0.dll
I think this dll is responsible for explaining to the updater how to extract the cab file. Each S firmware version has a unique dll file. So I doubt we can use the S dll, on a V cab file.

In that case wouldnt it be advantageous for somebody to notify LG of this missing file? Just say you compared the two files and found why its not updating your phone via the updater tool..or something similar.

jwmills83

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much

I actually have the US670 optimus and did the same thing of flashing sprint img to phone. Method 2 was a lifesaver. I had looked everywhere for instructions to get it to work and you had the only ones that made a difference. First round is on me.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site

Update:

LS670_W_0_0_2_0.dll

I had a feeling we were missing something. I'm wondering who do we contact about this?

Last edited:

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
So I just got off a good hour long phone call with lg :( basically here's how it went:
1 no there isn't an update oh wait yes there is
2 well drivers aren't installed correctly get the ones from lgforums
3 we can't send you a .dll file obviously what I'm asking is you fix the updater your phone is rooted we can't help you.

Although the lady was very nice lg's policies kicked in and ended the conversation very quickly. There is denial that there's any issues with the updater at all. I tried to do the update and it's a no go if your reading this call this number 1 (800) 793-8896 and let lg know there's an issue

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I just got off a good hour long phone call with lg :( basically here's how it went:
1 no there isn't an update oh wait yes there is
2 well drivers aren't installed correctly get the ones from lgforums
3 we can't send you a .dll file obviously what I'm asking is you fix the updater your phone is rooted we can't help you.

Although the lady was very nice lg's policies kicked in and ended the conversation very quickly. There is denial that there's any issues with the updater at all. I tried to do the update and it's a no go if your reading this call this number 1 (800) 793-8896 and let lg know there's an issue

My guess as to why both updates would be the way they are when the Optimus S/T/U/One all have functioning cab files right out of the box is that Virgin doesn't want us being able to buy a S/T/U/One and convert it for use with Virgin. This is faulty reasoning considering that you would still need to hack the phone's credentials, and it would be easy enough to root any one of those phone and change it to a V using a special built rom. But large companies aren't known for making rational decisions. This all still my guess, but unless there turns out to be a huge security fault, we will never receive any sort of official update from LG or Virgin.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's an intentional thing I guess I'm still thinking about how fast they fixed the kernel source issue. Right now they don't think that there's an issue. They think it's just me :( because I rooted my phone. But then on the other hand considering they didn't know there was an update until told her. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.