01-16-2013 11:07 PM
1,060 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Looks like they are doing it for the e510 with a module:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...604e498465c477
    01-05-2012 12:05 AM
    Looks like they are doing it for the e510 with a module:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...604e498465c477
    Our kernel has CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y. So it's compiled into the kernel already and does not require an external module.

I'm wondering why rmcc chose to name it fbconsole.ko. The default name is fbcon.ko.
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-05-2012 12:31 PM
    For the last week or so I have been getting this error (Fetching projects: 91% (186/204) fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
    error: Cannot fetch CyanogenMod/android_prebuilt) when syncing with the repo. Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks for any help.
    01-05-2012 09:33 PM
    Yeah me too. A google search turned up a solution that works for me: replace git: with http: in the problem repo stanzas under the .repo directory.
    jack454 likes this.
    01-05-2012 09:52 PM
    Yeah, the prebuilt repository got derped as a result of some ICS pushes. Edit default.xml file in the android folder and make the following change:
    Code:
    ## Add this under the existing cyanogen remote:
      <remote  name="github-https"
               fetch="https://github.com/"
               review="review.cyanogenmod.com" />

## Find this line and change the remote at the end to read like this:
      <project path="prebuilt" name="CyanogenMod/android_prebuilt" remote="github-https" />
    Or you can fork prebuilt and sync from your own repository.
    jack454 likes this.
    01-05-2012 10:52 PM
    Thank you very much tdm and Jerry. I am now able to sync.
    01-06-2012 06:10 AM
    I'm slowly getting the hang of git and the android layout. I'd like to solicit comments on some contributions:

1. Enable chargerlogo. I've posted the diffs above in this thread and someone may beat me to it.

2. Enable bootlogo. Haven't got this yet and others may beat me to it. But given that IHO targets multiple variants, the original VM splash is surely not appropriate. Should I attempt to gather all the original splashes and switch based on the build target, or just use a generic one? I am partial to the android scribble myself, and I have already got it converted to 12 320x480 RLE images.

3. Disable FM radio (assuming no IHO variants actually have one...?) This is pretty simple -- it just requires ifdef-ing out a couple chunks in AudioHardware.cpp and removing the two radio entries in BoardConfig.mk.

After that, my todo-list looks like this:

* Reduce timeout for receiving IMAP banner to work around a broken exchange server at work.
    * Look into why certain apps crash when network permission is removed -- perhaps reimplement a different way.
    * Introduce a WiFi portal auto-login for portals that require an "agree" button to be pressed.
    * Look into fixing the sound volume bug.
    * Enable flashlight mode with white screen instead of graying out the option.
    * Make an option to disable the emergency call button in the lock screen (which should be the CM default for non-cell devices such as the Nook Color, but I like it on my phone also).
    mustafu likes this.
    01-06-2012 06:43 PM
    1- we appreciate and are experimenting with your ideas on the chargerlogo, hope to have something to report this weekend when I have more time.

2- the standard android bootlogo scrawl isn't done via a sequence of images, it's a moving bitmask, and LeslieAnn create a harmonia version of it months ago. Perhaps I'm speaking of something else?

3- To disable FM radio in the build, just comment it out in the vendor/cyanogen/products/bcm_fm_radio.mk

Looking forward to your contributions! Let us know when you have your github setup well enough to share!
    mustafu likes this.
    01-07-2012 12:00 AM
    1- we appreciate and are experimenting with your ideas on the chargerlogo, hope to have something to report this weekend when I have more time.

2- the standard android bootlogo scrawl isn't done via a sequence of images, it's a moving bitmask, and LeslieAnn create a harmonia version of it months ago. Perhaps I'm speaking of something else?

3- To disable FM radio in the build, just comment it out in the vendor/cyanogen/products/bcm_fm_radio.mk

Looking forward to your contributions! Let us know when you have your github setup well enough to share!
    2. I was speaking of the virgin mobile animation that runs immediately at boot on the stock ROM. This is done with 12 rle images named sprint_power_on_%d so it's obviously hacked from a similar animation for sprint. I assumed all thunderc variants did this and it would be desirable to have. But perhaps one or both of those assumptions is faulty?

3. Yes i did that and it works thanks. But disabling the radio settings in BoardConfig.mk is a lower level and cleaner IMO. I'm going under the assumption (again) that the reason blarfie used the radio settings is due to the compile issue. No big deal either way. I just wanted to share what I thought was a cleaner solution.
    mustafu likes this.
    01-07-2012 02:00 AM
    3. Yes i did that and it works thanks. But disabling the radio settings in BoardConfig.mk is a lower level and cleaner IMO. I'm going under the assumption (again) that the reason blarfie used the radio settings is due to the compile issue. No big deal either way. I just wanted to share what I thought was a cleaner solution.
    Blarf spent a couple of weeks trying to get the radio to work when he first put IHO together. He finally came to the conclusion that even though it's in the specs for the chip, it's most likely disabled by a pin or a lack of connected I/O (he even did a visual inspection after disassembly). I know several others attempted to get it to function, all in vain. I do not know if it's necessary for compilation.

Since you clearly know your way around, if you have time, looking into the headset mic situation would be appreciated by many. Blarf, thekraven, Bob, and I have all been looking into it as well. Here in Vegas, the new year brought a new law for cell phone usage while driving, so this is one issue I would love to resolve!
    mustafu likes this.
    01-07-2012 02:11 AM
    2. I was speaking of the virgin mobile animation that runs immediately at boot on the stock ROM. This is done with 12 rle images named sprint_power_on_%d so it's obviously hacked from a similar animation for sprint. I assumed all thunderc variants did this and it would be desirable to have. But perhaps one or both of those assumptions is faulty?
    IHO has removed the Virgin splash animation (RLE images) ages ago as did the original Harmonia.

However, my attempt at animating it in IHO failed. Something is missing to allow for that to work, a few others have asked about it but no one has gotten it working. I looked around the net a lot trying to find a fix but I never saw anything on it.
    01-07-2012 04:09 AM
    I see that you guys are working a way to fix the battery charging while being off.

How would I charge my dead battery? It tries to boot but it can't since the battery is dead. The LG logo flashes on the screen on and off alongside the buttom button. I left my phone in emergency mode for one hour but my phone still refuses to boot. My computer refuses to see the device with ADB.

Can one of you talented devs help me on IRC? I desperately need my phone working. I'm scared its bricked because it spend hours turning on and off while I was sleeping.
    01-07-2012 12:36 PM
    Here's a link to Blastin's problem he posted originally here.
    01-07-2012 12:54 PM
    Blarf spent a couple of weeks trying to get the radio to work when he first put IHO together. He finally came to the conclusion that even though it's in the specs for the chip, it's most likely disabled by a pin or a lack of connected I/O (he even did a visual inspection after disassembly). I know several others attempted to get it to function, all in vain. I do not know if it's necessary for compilation.

Since you clearly know your way around, if you have time, looking into the headset mic situation would be appreciated by many. Blarf, thekraven, Bob, and I have all been looking into it as well. Here in Vegas, the new year brought a new law for cell phone usage while driving, so this is one issue I would love to resolve!
    Right, I remember reading something about the FM radio investigation now. IIRC the Opt-V didn't come with an FM app stock. Did the Opt-S? If neither did, I'd say there was a good reason the vendors pulled it -- likely just as blarf suspects, it's probably not wired up. But we should probably ping users of the other three supported models to check for sure.

Honestly I never use wired headphones for calling and I have a bluetooth speaker in my car. I will need to dig out my VM supplied earphones to test. I am not sure how much time I'll put into it though since I don't use ever use it. If you're honestly concerned about driving, I have a Motorola T325 and it works pretty darn well. And for when you're not driving, perhaps either bluetooth headphones or something like the Sony MW600 might work?
    mustafu likes this.
    01-07-2012 04:51 PM
    IHO has removed the Virgin splash animation (RLE images) ages ago as did the original Harmonia.

However, my attempt at animating it in IHO failed. Something is missing to allow for that to work, a few others have asked about it but no one has gotten it working. I looked around the net a lot trying to find a fix but I never saw anything on it.
    I got it working. It's really easy:

1. Start with the changes for the chargerlogo (eg. the boot-pause stuff).

2. Add "exec /sbin/bootlogo" under "exec /sbin/chargerlogo".

3. Add the vendor bootlogo binary under sbin and copy the bootimages directory over.

Repack, flash, and enjoy!

The one minor glitch is that initlogo.rle flashes briefly before bootllogo takes over. So that should be disabled before being considered "user ready".

I'll try to get my github up in a couple days. In the meantime, let me know if you want my android scribble rle images.
    01-07-2012 04:59 PM
    2. Add "exec /sbin/bootlogo" under "exec /sbin/chargerlogo".
    Actually, that's probably not what we want -- it will block the init process. It should be exec'd or started as a service after sysvinit starts up. But it does work!
    mustafu, JerryScript and mrg666 like this.
    01-07-2012 05:12 PM
    Okay I think I've got my github in order. I've initially forked blarf's device_lge_thunderc repo and figured out how to cherry-pick Jerry's changes so that I don't need to manually diff/patch anymore (source control ftw!)

I've also created a boot.img that properly does charging while offline and the vendor's RLE based bootlogo. I'd like to collect all five sets of RLEs and put them into the build. But first I need to sort out some issues:

1. I've only got the VM files. Does anyone have the ones from Sprint and the other carriers?

2. I can put the RLE files in device/lge/thunderc but it occurred to me that they may belong in vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary. But that also seems to apply to chargerlogo and its images, and they got dropped into device/lge/thunderc already. Thoughts?

3. Would folks prefer a generic animation to the vendor animation? If so, I can toss a generic animation into device/lge/thunderc for ROM maintainers to hack up in addition to the vendor files.

4. What's the best way to initiate a pull request when done? Does blarf monitor github pull requests or should I send a request directly? [sorry I'm still a github noob...]

After the above is sorted out, I'll push my changes and start marching down my todo-list.

Thanks!
    mustafu and mrg666 like this.
    01-09-2012 04:10 PM
    Okay I think I've got my github in order. I've initially forked blarf's device_lge_thunderc repo and figured out how to cherry-pick Jerry's changes so that I don't need to manually diff/patch anymore (source control ftw!)

I've also created a boot.img that properly does charging while offline and the vendor's RLE based bootlogo. I'd like to collect all five sets of RLEs and put them into the build. But first I need to sort out some issues:

1. I've only got the VM files. Does anyone have the ones from Sprint and the other carriers?

2. I can put the RLE files in device/lge/thunderc but it occurred to me that they may belong in vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary. But that also seems to apply to chargerlogo and its images, and they got dropped into device/lge/thunderc already. Thoughts?

3. Would folks prefer a generic animation to the vendor animation? If so, I can toss a generic animation into device/lge/thunderc for ROM maintainers to hack up in addition to the vendor files.

4. What's the best way to initiate a pull request when done? Does blarf monitor github pull requests or should I send a request directly? [sorry I'm still a github noob...]

After the above is sorted out, I'll push my changes and start marching down my todo-list.

Thanks!
    Thank you for posting your source!

1- I have the stock VM nandroid, you should be able to extract what you want from there

2- For the time being, follow the status quo, if/when we package things for CM, they can be moved then

3- A generic one would be nice, I'm always customizing things

4- Pull requests are best initiated via githubs web interface. Blarf does respond to them, usually in a timely manner. An email to let him know what you've done would help, he doesn't monitor this thread for his own reasons.

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing what you've been up to!
    01-09-2012 04:20 PM
    Okay I pushed out my first set of changes (offline charging and vendor bootlogo animation) and sent a pull request to blarf. I screwed up by not creating a topic branch because I'm still learning git, but I'm sure that he can cherry-pick what he wants, and so can anyone else that's interested.
    01-09-2012 06:08 PM
    Progress is exciting.
    01-09-2012 06:18 PM
    Okay I pushed out my first set of changes (offline charging and vendor bootlogo animation) and sent a pull request to blarf. I screwed up by not creating a topic branch because I'm still learning git, but I'm sure that he can cherry-pick what he wants, and so can anyone else that's interested.
    What's your github account name? Or did I miss it?

Edit: nvm, I found it via your pull request to IHO.
    01-09-2012 06:37 PM
    @tdm: Powered off charging seems to be working great now! Thanks for your sharing your work with everyone!
    01-10-2012 02:18 AM
    tdm, thank you so much for joining the development team and fixing long-standing charging issue. I have merged your commit along with Virgin boot splash and I can confirm that it works. I am not even sure if this is an issue but booting from off state requires disconnecting the charger.

Did I say thank you? Excellent work!
    01-10-2012 09:56 AM
    tdm, thank you so much for joining the development team and fixing long-standing charging issue. I have merged your commit along with Virgin boot splash and I can confirm that it works. I am not even sure if this is an issue but booting from off state requires disconnecting the charger.

Did I say thank you? Excellent work!
    Long pressing the power button while powered-off-charging boots the phone up for me. I hold the power button till I see the LG logo.

Thanks again tdm, everyone's loving the fix!
    mrg666 likes this.
    01-10-2012 10:03 AM
    I tried again and booting from off state while connected to power worked this time. So, we are on the same page.
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-10-2012 10:28 AM
1,060 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD