01-16-2013 11:07 PM
1,060 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    This might help getting the voice button to work. You could ignore all the alt-lock button key stuff. We would need the address that it calls when you press the voice button in a stock-ish rom.

Namely this in the core/java/android/view/KeyCharacterMap.java

Code:
    public static final char VOICE_INPUT = '\uEF06';
    Then change all the voice key references to 216

Gerrit Code Review
    JerryScript and mrg666 like this.
    01-18-2012 06:54 PM
    I finally got back to the update checker. I have decided not to use any form of push notifications. Instead, I have replaced
    Settins>>CyanogenMod settings>>System settings>>Update notifications
    It now calls an update checker app that reads a text file from a URL (preferrably https), parses it for build date, package download url, and change log. It then checks the build date against the Build.VERSION.INCREMENTAL value to determine if the user is up-to-date.

If up-to-date, a message will appear, and a button is available to quit the application without leaving it in the background processes.

If not, a download button will open a webview to the download URL, if a webpage it opens, if a direct link it will begin the download. Once the download is complete, if on a webpage the user can press back to return to the app.

In the app, a message appears telling the user to wait for the download to complete (need to do this internally via async, will update in future). A button is offered to reboot into recovery now. When pressed, a popup will appear with instructions to insure the download is complete (async damnit), with options to reboot into recovery now, or later (later quits the app without leaving in background). A second popup appears if the users chooses to reboot into recovery now, to make certain the download has completed, and the user did want to reboot into recovery at this time. Again, if later is pressed, the application quits without remaining in the background.

To Do:
    -Add downloads as internal feature using async so as not to lock up the gui
    -Add md5sum check to insure against corrupt downloads
    -Add list of IHO ROMs and available versions, plan on using simple github text page for manifest
    -Add option to wipe/flash automatically
    -Add menu options such as show current changelog, show update history, etc
    -Make it look nicer

Edit I will have the source on github tonite, Source is up at github under the temporary project name BacksideUpdater, need input on final name for IHO. It's an Eclipse project for now. I copy the resulting apk from the Eclipse project's bin folder to device/lge/thunderc/files, and to the build's system/app via device_thunderc.mk. If anyone has the time to migrate it to pure Android.mk files, it would be appreciated.
    01-18-2012 07:21 PM
    I seriously doubt needing https, that just seems overkill.
    So long as people get the roms from a reputable source, it should be quite safe without the https hassle.

If you need a simple page or something to host this (especially for testing), I have a dedicated web server I can get you onto.

I just realized I am acquiring a small army of servers. How many before I qualify for a discount?
    Some collect Barbies, I collect computers.
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-18-2012 07:41 PM
    Thanks LeslieAnn.

I've got to work out the format for the manifest. I don't like parsing xml, so I'm probably going to keep it basic csv. That way, each ROM dev can easily edit, and if it's done via a wiki/CVS type page, history can be maintained across multiple user edits (in case any of us derps someone else's info, calling out ROM Manager here )
    01-18-2012 08:16 PM
    For the voice dialer button, the closest I could find in the stock frameworks is

Code:
    .field public static final KEYCODE_VOICE:I = 0x5e
    And that resided in the stock frameworks... framework/input.jar

So for code posted above. I'll test this out.

Code:
    public static final char VOICE_INPUT = 0x5e;

or

public static final char VOICE = 0x5e;
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-19-2012 02:11 AM
    I added package checking and md5 verification to the BacksideUpdater, and extended the manifest to include package details (file name, file size, md5sum). Once I add extra package downloads such as themes and other flashable zips, and there are no issues with the manifest structure, I'll extend it to support multiple ROMs. Then we can rename it IHOUpdater or something better, and users can have a simple way to check for updates, and verify the package downloads before flashing (should save us some headaches with people posting bugs caused by bad downloads, or who are searching for the latest download links ).

https://github.com/JerryScript/Backs...1...8b9a0eac93
    BobZhome likes this.
    01-25-2012 06:27 PM
    I have an ext4 partition on my sdcard which is mounted as /sd-ext on my phone just beautifully. I've symlinked /data/app to /sd-ext/app when I did my first IHO install and it's been working great for months.

I also have a very old custom recovery which was originally named recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip (not sure exactly where I got it or what it is). Unfortunately, the nandroid script in this recovery doesn't backup /sd-ext.

So I've been meaning to upgrade to an IHO recovery and test whether /sd-ext gets backed up in nandroid. Does it? If not, I'll and, if not, make it do that.

Also, I recently read about someone hacking up touch screen capability in recovery and I thought that would be really cool. Did anyone else see that? Any interest in it? I'm a server developer, not a UI developer, but it seems like it would be relatively simple and I could probably get it working given some moderate effort.
    01-27-2012 12:32 AM
    I believe that was the razr recovery. There have been both good and bad reports on it, I have not tried it.
    Droid Razr Developer Forum - RootzWiki

The one issue I would be concerned with is that I believe (I may be wrong) it sets the CPU speed pretty high (it wasn't built for the VM670 after all). Good reports say it does backups in no time, bad reports say it crashes their phone, so that would probably need to be scaled back.
    01-27-2012 12:39 AM
    For the voice dialer button, the closest I could find in the stock frameworks is

Code:
    .field public static final KEYCODE_VOICE:I = 0x5e
    And that resided in the stock frameworks... framework/input.jar

So for code posted above. I'll test this out.

Code:
    public static final char VOICE_INPUT = 0x5e;

or

public static final char VOICE = 0x5e;
    I spent an entire day trying everything I could think of to get this to work, but I'm missing something.

I added VOICE to every page listed in the source under requirements for adding keys, tried several different integer values based on what I could find in the stock OV dump and in logcats, nothing worked yet.

Any luck on the OS?
    01-27-2012 12:42 AM
    FYI- I've given up on getting stock bootsound to work. I could be wrong, but it seems to be called from the stock init binary, and I don't know how to check that out. So for now, my flashable bootsound enabler will have to do. Not a big deal, since the flashable method works, and a large percentage of users don't care about bootsounds anyway. (I like it because it lets me know when my phone has a crash/reboot, even if it's in my pocket at the time )

An interesting note: when I do attempt to use the stock bootsound service via playmp3 and PowerOn.mp3, the flashable bootsound enabler doesn't work. So that may be a clue for those of you with more init experience than I have.

Thanks again to eollie for the original research on enabling bootsounds in CM7 ROMs!
    01-27-2012 12:46 AM
    FYI- I've given up on getting stock bootsound to work. I could be wrong, but it seems to be called from the stock init binary, and I don't know how to check that out. So for now, my flashable bootsound enabler will have to do. Not a big deal, since the flashable method works, and a large percentage of users don't care about bootsounds anyway. (I like it because it lets me know when my phone has a crash/reboot, even if it's in my pocket at the time )

An interesting note: when I do attempt to use the stock bootsound service via playmp3 and PowerOn.mp3, the flashable bootsound enabler doesn't work. So that may be a clue for those of you with more init experience than I have.

Thanks again to eollie for the original research on enabling bootsounds in CM7 ROMs!
    Oh, that's a surprise. I was under the impression that you had it working or nearly so.

Much as I dislike boot sounds, I'll see about getting the stock one going for you while I'm tinkering with the reboot flag in chargerlogo.
    01-27-2012 12:53 AM
    Someone posted a system dump of Republic wireless today. It does look it like has IHO guts like vendor and device folder files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-boot-img.html
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-27-2012 01:21 AM
    So I've been meaning to upgrade to an IHO recovery and test whether /sd-ext gets backed up in nandroid. Does it? If not, I'll and, if not, make it do that.
    Yes, looks like bootable/recovery/nandroid.c does backup /sd-ext. That alone makes it worth switching.

Also, I recently read about someone hacking up touch screen capability in recovery and I thought that would be really cool. Did anyone else see that? Any interest in it? I'm a server developer, not a UI developer, but it seems like it would be relatively simple and I could probably get it working given some moderate effort.
    I think this was TWRP. Looks dicey though. I found an article about it that says the OptimusOne is supported but it's not listed on the official page. One of their presumably main developers left the project a couple weeks ago so the project is likely lame now. They have a github but unfortunately they say "the GUI code is planned to remain closed-source, sorry".
    01-27-2012 08:34 AM
    So repoublic wireless is officially using cyanogenmod?
    Well surprisingly this boots right away on our phones. I thought I would have to do some kernel swapping or something. Inside the system.img is a cm notify.html which basically says that they used cm7. Probably zefies build or maybe blarfs
    01-27-2012 09:16 AM
    Yes, looks like bootable/recovery/nandroid.c does backup /sd-ext. That alone makes it worth switching.

I think this was TWRP. Looks dicey though. I found an article about it that says the OptimusOne is supported but it's not listed on the official page. One of their presumably main developers left the project a couple weeks ago so the project is likely lame now. They have a github but unfortunately they say "the GUI code is planned to remain closed-source, sorry".
    The rzrecovery also has the ability to use on-screen scroll iirc. It just isnt available on our phone. I have been using that recovery for a week or so now. It is also open source and nothing seems to be closed-source. There is a thread here I started with the links. I think it would be awesome if this recovery could become the supported recovery for the IHO roms.

So repoublic wireless is officially using cyanogenmod?
    IIRC when it was first mentioned somebody said the screen shots looked like it was CM7/IHO.
    01-27-2012 09:50 AM
    The rzrecovery also has the ability to use on-screen scroll iirc. It just isnt available on our phone. I have been using that recovery for a week or so now. It is also open source and nothing seems to be closed-source. There is a thread here I started with the links. I think it would be awesome if this recovery could become the supported recovery for the IHO roms.

IIRC when it was first mentioned somebody said the screen shots looked like it was CM7/IHO.
    Its not iho, republic did their own cm7 variation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    01-27-2012 10:05 AM
    Someone posted a system dump of Republic wireless today. It does look it like has IHO guts like vendor and device folder files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-boot-img.html
    ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
    Its not iho, republic did their own cm7 variation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Kinda looks like they are using IHO. Atleast for some parts.
    01-27-2012 01:02 PM
    Republic Kanged IHO!!

Look at the build.prop, line 122:
    Code:
    # Common to all CDMA variants (IHO)
    Note the IHO in parenthesis!
    01-27-2012 01:59 PM
    @jerryscript good find

I ran the rom these lucky s.o.b's get automatic root shell access

So I found the guy named anders here I'm
    JerryScript likes this.
    01-27-2012 02:59 PM
    Due to hard drive failure I had to start from scratch. I think I have missed something in my setup because I get this error every time I try to build. [BOX="Install: out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip Target ram disk: out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img /bin/bash: line 1: 14964 Broken pipe out/host/linux-x86/bin/mkbootfs out/target/product/thunderc/root 14965 Illegal instruction | out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip > out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img make: *** [out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img] Error 132 make: *** Deleting file `out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img'"][/BOX] I'm building in Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit. When first setup it built fine. Anyone have a clue what is wrong? Thanks
    01-27-2012 10:20 PM
    Well that went well. Here's the error.
    Install: out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip
    Target ram disk: out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img
    /bin/bash: line 1: 14964 Broken pipe out/host/linux-x86/bin/mkbootfs out/target/product/thunderc/root
    14965 Illegal instruction | out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip > out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img
    make: *** [out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img] Error 132
    make: *** Deleting file `out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img'
    01-27-2012 10:21 PM
    01-27-2012 10:33 PM
    Well that went well. Here's the error.
    Install: out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip
    Target ram disk: out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img
    /bin/bash: line 1: 14964 Broken pipe out/host/linux-x86/bin/mkbootfs out/target/product/thunderc/root
    14965 Illegal instruction | out/host/linux-x86/bin/minigzip > out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img
    make: *** [out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img] Error 132
    make: *** Deleting file `out/target/product/thunderc/ramdisk.img'
    Bad memory? Does this repro consistently?
    jack454 likes this.
    01-27-2012 10:41 PM
    Yes I have no trouble syncing. It just will not get past that point in the build. I'll try swapping memory with another box and see if that does it. Thanks
    01-28-2012 08:53 AM
    I just found an incredible resource for git commands:

Git Community Book

It's the only documentation I've found to date that actually explains what is happening with each command, how to use the commands properly, and how to fix mistakes you might make along the way.
    asadullah, tdm and mrg666 like this.
    01-29-2012 09:06 PM
1,060 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD