01-17-2013 12:07 AM
1,060 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    You might need more zvh/zvj files to work with IHO. This fixed some of the problems before using Drew's kernel with cm7. Main issue was with the camera and white screen previews. The files linked are from zvh, and i haven't updated it to zvj files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...-only-153.html

You might look at using more proprietary files and the ril files from zv9. I can't remember what zefie did during the sprint changes from zv9 to zvc and zvd. I know he updated kernels with the baseband changes. Have they released the Virgin zv9 kernel sources yet?
    04-25-2012 06:23 PM
    You might need more zvh/zvj files to work with IHO. This fixed some of the problems before using Drew's kernel with cm7. Main issue was with the camera and white screen previews. The files linked are from zvh, and i haven't updated it to zvj files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...-only-153.html

You might look at using more proprietary files and the ril files from zv9. I can't remember what zefie did during the sprint changes from zv9 to zvc and zvd. I know he updated kernels with the baseband changes. Have they released the Virgin zv9 kernel sources yet?
    thanks for your reply. the part that i dont understand is my 3g works useing drews flashable kernel over bobz kernel. i thought if i replaced the kernel modules and zimage with the ones from the zip it would be the same. and your gingerkernelfix works to fix the cam still so i was going to grab those libs for it as well
    04-25-2012 06:51 PM
    3G should work fine on builds from my repo, what does logcat show?

As for IHO, if you can't sync, try again later. Network issues at either end can cause errors syncing (unless you have a specific error message beyond http).
    i just did a fresh sync and build and didnt change anything and still have no phone signal or 3g.
    04-28-2012 01:27 AM
    I have done the comparison; all of the proprietary files in the ZV9 update package from VM are the same with the files that are already in IHO repo. There is just a single file difference (I don't remember which right now) and it is not radio related. I suspect that the problem some users are reporting are due to the radio image itself. I don't have any problems with three ZV9-OVs with my usage pattern and personal configuration. I still use Bob's v3.7 kernel binaries that I had used with ZV4 and ZV5.

-----

All, I have updated my Ubuntu server that I also use for Android builds from 11.10-x64 to 12.04. There were no problems with Android builds. FYI, in case you were wondering.
    sellers86 likes this.
    04-28-2012 08:40 AM
    I have done the comparison; all of the proprietary files in the ZV9 update package from VM are the same with the files that are already in IHO repo. There is just a single file difference (I don't remember which right now) and it is not radio related. I suspect that the problem some users are reporting are due to the radio image itself. I don't have any problems with three ZV9-OVs with my usage pattern and personal configuration. I still use Bob's v3.7 kernel binaries that I had used with ZV4 and ZV5.

-----

All, I have updated my Ubuntu server that I also use for Android builds from 11.10-x64 to 12.04. There were no problems with Android builds. FYI, in case you were wondering.
    I was thinking about updating but I wasn't sure if it broke building other than the master branch. Thanks mrg666

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-28-2012 09:19 AM
    clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
    No command 'repo' found, did you mean:
    Command 'rep' from package 'rep' (universe)
    Command 'repl' from package 'nmh' (universe)
    Command 'repl' from package 'mailutils-mh' (universe)
    repo: command not found

help please?.... :-)
    Do you have the repo command in your $PATH somewhere?
    04-29-2012 12:41 AM
    i guess not... been following onlyunless' tutorials... updated java done... sdk done... eclipse done... following the directions on the first page and this is where im stuck... skipped dl of 64bit libs as im deving on 32... would appreciate any help... thanks for replying!... :-)

32 you say?... yes, it works and im poor... lol... :-)
    04-29-2012 01:02 AM
    i guess not... been following onlyunless' tutorials... updated java done... sdk done... eclipse done... following the directions on the first page and this is where im stuck... skipped dl of 64bit libs as im deving on 32... would appreciate any help... thanks for replying!... :-)

32 you say?... yes, it works and im poor... lol... :-)
    Hey, don't insult 32bit. I dev on 32bit

At source.android.com they have a nice guide for setting up a build environment and getting the source. Go there to find repo. Usually you download repo, put it in ~/bin, make it executable, and continue. (I keep it in /usr/local/bin on one of my boxes.)
    clodfelterac likes this.
    04-29-2012 01:17 AM
    clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/WORKING_DIRECTORY$ chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/WORKING_DIRECTORY$ repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
    fatal: cannot make .repo directory: Permission denied

what?... i thought chmod a+x gave it permissions?...
    04-29-2012 01:56 AM
    Rebooting your system after giving repo permission.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    clodfelterac likes this.
    04-30-2012 10:20 AM
    This stuff is just way too confusing and frustrating. I am in way over my head, thinking I'm on the right track and then hammered with more errors. Is there no...centralized starting point to learning ROM development? Is the process really just hunting and pecking until it works? If so, then I'd happily continue, but right now I am learning nothing by sending PMs and / or posting here every time an error comes up.
    04-30-2012 01:52 PM
    This stuff is just way too confusing and frustrating. I am in way over my head, thinking I'm on the right track and then hammered with more errors. Is there no...centralized starting point to learning ROM development? Is the process really just hunting and pecking until it works? If so, then I'd happily continue, but right now I am learning nothing by sending PMs and / or posting here every time an error comes up.
    Do you have a Google talk account? I'm sure someone here would gladly chat with you and help fix errors.
    04-30-2012 02:20 PM
    Do you have a Google talk account? I'm sure someone here would gladly chat with you and help fix errors.
    I do...I think, one gets registered to you with GMail and such, right? Anyway, I don't want to sound unappreciative of any offers for help, but I guess I'm just looking for a full understanding of the code, i.e. if I see something on my phone that I want to change, where in the source do I find it? Why does there seem to be no centralized location for explanation of the Android source? Do I lack some sort of background that if I had I'd understand it all already?

If I get an error, I can usually just hit up Google, it's just frustrating, I'd like to be able to troubleshoot errors myself. When I think I'm doing everything right and then I run into errors a few seconds after running make, and since I was under the impression I was doing everything correctly, it makes me want to rip my hair out. Now that I've officially established myself as the emo half-dev, I'm just going to start from scratch.
    04-30-2012 02:29 PM
    Any thoughts on the below? I obviously need to specify the kernel that I added (in the folder hydrokernel, and just in case anyone else that knows / thekraven is reading this, this is for my own personal learning / use, i won't distribute your kernel as asked in your thread), what would the line I add look like in the androidboard.mk file? I'm assuming I'd edit the one in devices/lge/thunderc?

Code:
    cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ lunch

You're building on Linux

Lunch menu... pick a combo:
         1. full-eng
         2. full_x86-eng
         3. vbox_x86-eng
         4. cm_thunderc-userdebug
         5. generic_olympus-userdebug
         6. generic_sunfire-userdebug
         7. cm_anzu-userdebug

Which would you like? [full-eng] 4
    Looking for dependencies
    Dependencies file not found, bailing out.

============================================
    PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
    PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.4
    TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_thunderc
    TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
    TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
    TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
    TARGET_ARCH=arm
    TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv6-vfp
    HOST_ARCH=x86
    HOST_OS=linux
    HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
    BUILD_ID=IMM76D

cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ make bacon
    PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
    PLATFORM_VERSION=4.0.4
    TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_thunderc
    TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
    TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
    TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
    TARGET_ARCH=arm
    TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv6-vfp
    HOST_ARCH=x86
    HOST_OS=linux
    HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
    BUILD_ID=IMM76D
    Checking build tools versions...
    system/core/toolbox/Android.mk:98: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/lsof'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/lsof'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/mkshrc'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/mkshrc'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/ueventd.rc'
    system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:49: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/ueventd.rc'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/init.rc'
    system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:42: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/init.rc'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/hosts'
    system/core/rootdir/Android.mk:31: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/hosts'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/dhcpcd'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/dhcpcd'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/e2fsck'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/e2fsck'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libmm-omxcore.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libmm-omxcore.so'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libOmxCore.so'
    build/core/base_rules.mk:523: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libOmxCore.so'
    build/core/Makefile:66: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/default.prop'
    build/core/Makefile:36: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/root/default.prop'
    No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:37: ***************************************************************
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:38: *                                                             *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:39: * No kernel source found, and no fallback prebuilt defined.   *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:40: * Please make sure your device is properly configured to      *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:41: * download the kernel repository to kernel/lge/thunderc
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:42: * and add the TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG variable to AndroidBoard.mk*
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:43: *                                                             *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:44: * As an alternative, define the TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL        *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:45: * variable with the path to the prebuilt binary kernel image  *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:46: * in your AndroidBoard.mk file                                *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:47: *                                                             *
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:48: ***************************************************************
    build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:49: *** "NO KERNEL".  Stop.
    cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$ find -name AndroidBoard.mk
    ./build/target/board/emulator/AndroidBoard.mk
    ./build/target/board/generic/AndroidBoard.mk
    ./build/target/board/generic_armv5/AndroidBoard.mk
    ./build/target/board/vbox_x86/AndroidBoard.mk
    ./device/lge/thunderc/AndroidBoard.mk
    ./device/motorola/olympus/AndroidBoard.mk
    EDIT -- Think I figured that one out, here is my AndroidBoard.mk

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)

ALL_PREBUILT += $(INSTALLED_KERNEL_TARGET)
    TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL := device/lge/thunderc/kernels/hydrokernel

Now when I go to build it, here's what I get:

Notice file: device/lge/thunderc/apversion/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/lgapversion.txt
    Notice file: bionic/linker/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/linker.txt
    Notice file: bionic/libc/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libc_nomalloc.a.txt
    Notice file: system/core/logcat/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/logcat.txt
    Notice file: system/core/logwrapper/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/logwrapper.txt
    Notice file: frameworks/base/media/libmedia/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libmedia_helper.a.txt
    Notice file: external/mksh/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/mksh.txt
    Notice file: external/mtpd/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/mtpd.txt
    Notice file: system/core/netcfg/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/netcfg.txt
    Notice file: external/bluetooth/bluez/compat/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/pand.txt
    Notice file: external/ping/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/ping.txt
    Notice file: external/ppp/pppd/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/pppd.txt
    Notice file: external/ipsec-tools/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/racoon.txt
    Notice file: external/ipsec-tools/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/lib/libipsec.a.txt
    Notice file: hardware/ril/rild/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/radiooptions.txt
    make: *** No rule to make target `out/target/product/thunderc/obj/lib/libril.so', needed by `out/target/product/thunderc/obj/EXECUTABLES/rild_intermediates/LINKED/rild'. Stop.
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    Notice file: hardware/ril/rild/NOTICE -- out/target/product/thunderc/obj/NOTICE_FILES/src//system/bin/rild.txt
    cole2kb@athena:~/android/thekraven$
    04-30-2012 04:43 PM
    You shouldn't need to put sudo in front of repo.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    05-01-2012 06:42 AM
    Try it again, but this time type the full path of repo. Assuming you followed directions, your command should look like this

~/bin/repo -u init git://blahblahblah

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm not really a Linux guy. I'm sure if that doesn't work someone much smarter than I will get back to you.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
    clodfelterac likes this.
    05-01-2012 07:08 AM
    My bad, don't flip them then. The important part was doing ~/bin/repo instead of just repo.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    clodfelterac likes this.
    05-01-2012 07:31 AM
    clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/android/system$ ~bin/repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
    bash: /bin/repo: No such file or directory

the repo.sh is there... im looking right at it...
    I had the same problem wwhen I started out. You have to curl the repo command from a different site. Webtutor doesn't work

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    clodfelterac likes this.
    05-01-2012 09:48 AM
    thankyou... so this is what i did:
    clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/android/system$ curl https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/repo > ~/bin/repo

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    100 20498 100 20498 0 0 5720 0 0:00:03 0:00:03 --:--:-- 12715

clodfelterac@myUBUNTUlaptop:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
    /home/clodfelterac/bin/repo: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    /home/clodfelterac/bin/repo: line 1: `<!DOCTYPE html>'

the repo is there, it has the permissions... ???
    thanks for your help... :-)
    Look at the error.

It's a web page not a python script.

Try fetching it from another place.
    clodfelterac likes this.
    05-01-2012 11:01 AM
    ya i caught that after posting... went back and checked /bin and deleted the repo (shouldve checked it before posting)... came back and deleted the post... your quick on the draw... lol... thankyou... :-)
    05-01-2012 11:07 AM
    ya i caught that after posting... went back and checked /bin and deleted the repo (shouldve checked it before posting)... came back and deleted the post... your quick on the draw... lol... thankyou... :-)
    Whoops, haha. Sorry about that. It was early, I was feeling ill but couldn't sleep, sorry I didn't catch it.

As for my error posted on the last page, I'm just going to try to compile with 0 edits and see if it's something I'm doing that is causing issues.
    05-01-2012 12:39 PM
    Now when I go to build it, here's what I get:
    Libril.so seems to be missing. I'm currently half asleep so I can't think of what to try first... check the vendor folder for the file, then check the .mk files to make sure its getting copied. Use iho as a reference if needed.

On an unrelated note, I have a question for the experienced people. How crazy is it to use btrfs for everything except /boot on a build box? Its running quite fast for me and the built in raid is nice. Only issue I had was getting debian to boot with it
    cole2kb likes this.
    05-01-2012 12:49 PM
    Libril.so seems to be missing. I'm currently half asleep so I can't think of what to try first... check the vendor folder for the file, then check the .mk files to make sure its getting copied. Use iho as a reference if needed.

On an unrelated note, I have a question for the experienced people. How crazy is it to use btrfs for everything except /boot on a build box? Its running quite fast for me and the built in raid is nice. Only issue I had was getting debian to boot with it
    I'm currently using btrfs for EVERYTHING on Ubuntu 12.04. No issues at all.
    05-01-2012 03:27 PM
    Is there any sort of resource that explains files in the Android source, sort of walks a wannabe dev through it all? So, like, when I finish syncing and I know something that I want to change, I have some sort of reference guide to refer to? I'm okay just using grep to find the values I want to change and changing them in all the files that come up, but this just seems really inefficient.
    05-02-2012 09:43 PM
    target SharedLib: libdl (out/target/product/thunderc_VM670/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libdl_intermediates/LINKED/libdl.so)
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/mkbootfs_intermediates/mkbootfs] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

so.... decided to update from linux mint 9 to linux mint 12 and now i cant get past this when i make bacon... any ideas from the pros?
    05-04-2012 08:32 AM
1,060 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD