Building your own ROM

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Okay. For my purposes at least, this thread has formally been succeeded by two things:

1.) The wiki entry located here.
2.) The porting IHO to a different Optimus phone thread on XDA.

Like the official thread dev threads the move to the wiki is designed to encourage people to develop a single reference where usable build instructions can be found instead of spreading it out through a lengthy forum thread. As usual I'd like to request that any significant changes to the wiki be coordinated with Centinel.

Reactions: JerryScript

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you run:
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch

Damn. I may have missed a step. [blush] I know I did the . build/envsetup.sh, but I don't remember doing "lunch"!

Sheesh. Noobs, ya know? :-\

I'll try again tonight... Thanks!

ps Is your "2" above shorthand for "make -j2 bacon" ??

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, this won't impress any of you'ze guys, but Yay!

Code:
Package complete: /home/wilberfan/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip
c3d67f7291865c36e5cddf297895e95b  update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

:cool:

Of course, I haven't tried flashing it yet, but it's still a "yay".

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, this won't impress any of you'ze guys, but Yay!

Code:
Package complete: /home/wilberfan/android/system/out/target/product/thunderc/update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip
c3d67f7291865c36e5cddf297895e95b  update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

:cool:

Of course, I haven't tried flashing it yet, but it's still a "yay".

Congrats!

jack454

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been building this for a couple of weeks. Last night I started getting this error when syncing the repo.
Fetching projects: 91% (184/202) remote: fatal: failed to read object c0f30688df7152202b032f5809b6b52d842ae09f: Invalid argument
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
error: Cannot fetch platform/sdk
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix the problem. Thanks

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever get past this? I had the same error a couple of times recently, and I ended up deleting the entire source tree, including the hidden .repo file, and then doing a fresh repo init and repo sync. Built fine both times I had that error after fresh syncs. I'm not sure why we both get that same error, are you using the default install of Wubi like I am? If so, Blarf is probably right, since it creates a pathetically small space for Ubuntu to run it.

Yes, the killed msg & other hangs have been solved after I increased the Wubi Ubuntu default swap space from 256 MB to 2 GB. It's an old machine, so only has 1 GB of RAM, AMD64 3200+ single-core CPU. Build took about 3 hours.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
:D

This is a horribly newb question, but how is this ROM I just built different from YOUR latest, for example. I notice mine is, like, 80-something megabytes in size...and yours is more like 60MB ...

The main differences from a pure IHO build and BACKside are:

changed bootanimation
changed 2nd boot logo
removed all wallpapers, themes, and large ringtones
added bootsound support
added video camera icon
replaced LatinIME with an english only version (much smaller)

It's removing the wallpapers, themes, ringtones, and replacing LatinIME that makes my build smaller.

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm too new at this to know what I'm doing, but I've been trying to compile today from both the IHO repo and BobZhome's repo.

With the latest attempt from BobZ's, I get this:

Code:
target Generated: libclearsilver-jni <= out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/clearsilver_intermediates/javalib.jar
target Generated: libclearsilver-jni <= out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/clearsilver_intermediates/javalib.jar
host C: libneo_util <= external/clearsilver/util/neo_err.c
host C: libneo_util <= external/clearsilver/util/neo_files.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:388:0,
                 from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
                 from external/clearsilver/util/neo_err.c:14:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: fatal error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libneo_util_intermediates/neo_err.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
                 from external/clearsilver/util/neo_files.c:14:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: fatal error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libneo_util_intermediates/neo_files.o] Error 1

I've been getting an error with the IHO, as well. (I've been following the steps as outlined in post #3 in this thread.)

Any idea what could be wrong?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm too new at this to know what I'm doing, but I've been trying to compile today from both the IHO repo and BobZhome's repo.

With the latest attempt from BobZ's, I get this:

Code:
host C: libneo_util <= external/clearsilver/util/neo_err.c
host C: libneo_util <= external/clearsilver/util/neo_files.c
                 from external/clearsilver/util/neo_err.c:14:
compilation terminated.
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libneo_util_intermediates/neo_err.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
                 from external/clearsilver/util/neo_files.c:14:
compilation terminated.
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libneo_util_intermediates/neo_files.o] Error 1

I've been getting an error with the IHO, as well. (I've been following the steps as outlined in post #3 in this thread.)

Any idea what could be wrong?

You are missing some of the development libraries. If you are on Ubuntu try the following libraries
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32z1-dev lib32bz2-dev
Probably ia32-libs will be sufficient, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
You are missing some of the development libraries. If you are on Ubuntu try the following libraries
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32z1-dev lib32bz2-dev
Probably ia32-libs will be sufficient, if I remember correctly.

Hmm. I'm using Linux Mint Debian Edition--and my first compile (3 days ago, or so) went fine. None of the libs you suggest are in the repos I have configured right now. Do I need to enable some source repos, or...?

Plus, I'm confused: Isn't ia32-libs only needed on a 64-bit system?

Last edited:

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Hmm. I'm using Linux Mint Debian Edition--and my first compile (3 days ago, or so) went fine. None of the libs you suggest are in the repos I have configured right now. Do I need to enable some source repos, or...?

Plus, I'm confused: Isn't ia32-libs only needed on a 64-bit system?

Right. You need the 64-bit compatibility bits to build on a 32-bit install. In any case, use Ubuntu 10.04.