01-17-2013 12:07 AM
1,060 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Ahh okay, thanks.
    10-06-2011 02:39 AM
    Any kernel builders care to share a quick rundown of how to build for the OV? I've been itching to get into the kernel, and I'm finally comfortable enough with building a ROM to try it out. Any insights into issues I might face building for the OV would be appreciated!
    I'll haven't built one in a while but I wrote a guide here

It's for the optimus m but it works for the v. One thing to note is to use the config.gz from a stock rom
    Jerry, how did you make out with the guide asadullah posted?
    Let me know if you get stuck anywhere.
    Bob
    JerryScript likes this.
    10-06-2011 06:26 PM
    Any thing you wanna add like adding modules or the other menu I've read about would be a great addition.
    10-06-2011 08:03 PM
    Any thing you wanna add like adding modules or the other menu I've read about would be a great addition.
    I use the following command to build my kernel and modules:
    Code:
    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/android/system/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi- INSTALL_MOD_PATH=~/android/modules zImage modules -j4
    I'm not sure what you mean by "other menu".
    asadullah likes this.
    10-06-2011 09:07 PM
    .snip...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "other menu".
    maybe "make ARCH=arm xconfig" instead of "make ARCH=arm menuconfig"
    ?
    xconfig definitely handles differently than menuconfig. I actually prefer menuconfig.
    10-06-2011 09:54 PM
    I haven't had the time yet, plan on getting into it over the weekend. I'm happy with the currently available kernels, yours, blarf's, xionia, so it's really just my desire to learn about it that has me looking into this. I doubt if I can improve the kernel much, but would like to be able to add modules as requested from time to time by the forum users, even if just for personal builds.

The one place I'm convinced there could be improvement is the startup. Boot times on my cheapo Coby Kyros 7022-4g tablet are 1/3 that of the OV, and shut down is 1/5 the time or less, even with a virtual mirror of CM7 and apps on both. Of course it doesn't have a phone, bluetooth, or gps to initialize, but that doesn't account for the large difference in boot times. Might be a red herring, but I'm going to look into it.
    10-07-2011 01:19 AM
    I think it was the menu x config i had seen it somewhere. About the kernel modules I never really knew how or where people were getting these modules or it's either too simple or too hard I don't know.

Anyways I don't know where to put this but I wanted to share it. Lately I've been wiping my laptop like my phone and I've been working on this script.
    what it does hopefully :
    installs the androidsdk, java flash everything you need when you redo your computer. I tested this before I added the expect so if things don't go right just remove that. The expect function is supposed to stop you from having to answer any questions like the java license.

How to work it just create two documents one named firstboot and another in the same folder called 51-android.rules and copy all this to the respective docs.
    Then open terminal and type chmod a+x firstboot
    sh firstboot

firstboot

Code:
    #! /bin/bash/expect -f

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"
    sudo apt-get update
    mkdir -p ~/android
    mkdir -p ~/android/system
    mkdir -p ~/bin
    sudo mv 51-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
    curl "http://php.webtutor.pl/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/repo" > ~/bin/repo
    ## uncomment the next line when kernel.org is fixed
    ##curl "http://android.git.kernel.org/repo" > ~/bin/repo 
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
    ## add repo to bashrc
    echo 'export PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"' >> ~/.bashrc
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras 
    ##installs real java and possibly sends yes using expect function 
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jdk
    expect "[y/n]"
    sleep 1
    send "y\r"
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    wget http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r13-linux_x86.tgz
    tar -zxvf android-sdk_r13-linux_x86.tgz
    mv android-sdk-linux_x86 ~/android/sdk
    mkdir -p ~/android/sdk/platform-tools
    ## add tools and platform-tools to basrc
    echo 'export PATH="~/android/sdk/tools:${PATH}"' >> ~/.bashrc
    echo 'export PATH="~/android/sdk/platform-tools:${PATH}"' >> ~/.bashrc
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev pngcrush schedtool
    ## comment out the next line if you don't want compiz or right click terminal
    sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal ccsm nautilus-gksu
    sudo apt-get install g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev eclipse
    ## this gets rid of open jdk and it's components
    sudo apt-get remove icedtea-netx icedtea6-plugin icedtea-plugin openjdk-6-jre-lib openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre icedtea-6-jre-jamvm icedtea-6-jre-cacao
    cd ~/android/system
    repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
    repo sync -j16 
    ## this next line makes fastboot and moves it to the correct directory
    make fastboot
    mv out/host/linux-x86/bin/fastboot ~/android/sdk/platform-tools
    51 android rules

Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="618e", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="d00d", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="18d1", SYMLINK+="android_adb", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="d00d", SYMLINK+="android_adb", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="22b8", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0502", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="413c", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0489", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="091E", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0482", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0955", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="10A9", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04dd", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0fce", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="19D2", MODE="0666"
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    10-07-2011 08:07 PM
    I didn't have the time this past weekend to dive into the kernel, hopefully next weekend.

Till then, any of you kernel builders ever see this?
    Android Blog: How to get LG headset sources compile in to kernel module(.ko).
    I'm wondering if it might help us get the headset buttons to work properly?
    10-11-2011 01:17 PM
    I didn't have the time this past weekend to dive into the kernel, hopefully next weekend.

Till then, any of you kernel builders ever see this?
    Android Blog: How to get LG headset sources compile in to kernel module(.ko).
    I'm wondering if it might help us get the headset buttons to work properly?
    the gt540 looks like a first cousin to the ov, the code might work.
    not sure how much it'd matter that it's a msm7227 instead of msm7627...
    you could maybe change the makefile line from
    obj-m = board-swift-headset.o // replace obj-y to obj-m //
    to
    obj-y = board-swift-headset.o // replace obj-m to obj-y //
    if you wanted to avoid the insmod/lsmod bit and just build it into the kernel.
    it doesn't seem like the kernel size would increase much.
    JerryScript and mrg666 like this.
    10-11-2011 03:46 PM
    If you guy want to test it out...here is Kernel_3.2.zip with obj-y = board-swift-headset.o built in
    JerryScript and mrg666 like this.
    10-11-2011 10:39 PM
    If you guy want to test it out...here is Kernel_3.2.zip with obj-y = board-swift-headset.o built in
    I just tried flashing and it aborted
    10-11-2011 11:22 PM
    It's not a flashable zip file, it's an archive of the necessary files to build from source.

Thanks, cooking a test build now, will report back.
    10-12-2011 01:04 AM
    It's not a flashable zip file, it's an archive of the necessary files to build from source.

Thanks, cooking a test build now, will report back.
    That's kind of what I figured, thanks
    10-12-2011 10:50 AM
    Here is the IHO build with Kernel 3.2. I have not noticed any difference in using headset. The button on the wired headset works the same way with Kernel 3.1. But I don't even use wired headset and might be missing the point here. Kernel 3.2 seems to be safe and sound on my phone. I noticed that interactive governor is added as an option besides InteractiveX. I have not included cifs module in this build (actually I forgot to add it). I will do next time. Do you guys think it is really needed?

I will not upload this build to Wiki or announce it in the IHO threads until we agree that this 3.2 build will be the next kernel. Please post here your opinions and testing results.

Bob, thanks so much.
    10-12-2011 04:11 PM
    Here is the IHO build with Kernel 3.2. I have not noticed any difference in using headset. The button on the wired headset works the same way with Kernel 3.1. But I don't even use wired headset and might be missing the point here. Kernel 3.2 seems to be safe and sound on my phone. I noticed that interactive governor is added as an option besides InteractiveX. I have not included cifs module in this build (actually I forgot to add it). I will do next time. Do you guys think it is really needed?

I will not upload this build to Wiki or announce it in the IHO threads until we agree that this 3.2 build will be the next kernel. Please post here your opinions and testing results.

Bob, thanks so much.
    I think Kernel 3.2 with:

1) A2DP fix
    2) Interactive governor back in
    3) CIFS support

should be the new standard kernel. More options for the user is always good (unless it adversely affects performance, which I don't believe is the case here).
    10-13-2011 11:45 AM
    I'm trying to find my LG headset to test it out, gotta be around here somewhere?!? As soon as I find it, I'll post results.
    10-13-2011 11:54 AM
    I think Kernel 3.2 with:

1) A2DP fix
    2) Interactive governor back in
    3) CIFS support

should be the new standard kernel. More options for the user is always good (unless it adversely affects performance, which I don't believe is the case here).
    A2DP fix is in the Android OS not in the kernel. Right?
    10-13-2011 12:52 PM
    A2DP fix is in the Android OS not in the kernel. Right?
    Correct

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    10-13-2011 03:30 PM
    I finally found my headset. I couldn't get the button to do anything. I tried pressing it while playing music, while placing a phone call, while on the phone dialer screen, while on the lockscreen, nothing happened. To be honest, I'm not sure what the button should do.

Also, I couldn't hear anything through the headset while placing a phone call, but I need to go through the various settings and see if I had something set up wrong.

Regardless, thanks for sharing the great kernel!
    10-14-2011 02:41 AM
    I finally found some time and got my build box up and going again. Thank you Jerry and Mrg666 for your patience.

By the way, I reworked Jerry's tutorial as well, modernized and streamlined it, I just need to verify it and clean it up a bit then I will put it in here. Maybe Jerry can tweak it a little and redo his on the first page.
    10-14-2011 05:04 AM
    I finally found my headset. I couldn't get the button to do anything. I tried pressing it while playing music, while placing a phone call, while on the phone dialer screen, while on the lockscreen, nothing happened. To be honest, I'm not sure what the button should do.

Also, I couldn't hear anything through the headset while placing a phone call, but I need to go through the various settings and see if I had something set up wrong.

Regardless, thanks for sharing the great kernel!
    I think the button is to answer an incoming call without touching the phone, if it's like my old treo.
    haven't checked it out myself yet. if the button is being recognized, whether or not it's in the keymap, pressing it should show a gpio event in dmesg.

on another note:
    I've googled the s*** out of this one and can't find any better answer than to pick apart and copy the htc device makefiles, and it's really bugging me.
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES (both += and :=) fails to copy everything I want moved from the sprint gb proprietary libs and binaries. there are a few things in there I'd like to build in that aren't included in blarf's makefiles, and when I try to just add files to the list they don't usually all get copied to the output.
    is there a list (like INCLUDED_PACKAGES) or something where I need to add the filenames?
    10-14-2011 08:58 AM
    did you try:
    Code:
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES := \
        vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so:system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so \
        vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/gralloc.thunderc.so:system/lib/hw/gralloc.thunderc.so \
        vendor/lge/thunderc/proprietary/$(SUB_MODEL)/system/lib/hw/copybit.thunderc.so:system/lib/hw/copybit.thunderc.so \
        $(PRODUCT_COPY_FILES)
    also what files are not making it to the phone?
    10-14-2011 11:44 AM
    ah, I did not try the
    $(PRODUCT_COPY_FILES)
    at the end of the list.
    I couldn't get it to copy one specific extra libril file over, no matter where I listed it, and I most recently had it fail to copy the blasted adreno200 gl files even though I didn't change that part of the makefile.
    it's been a week or two since I touched it so I can't be too specific right now, but I'll jump back into it now and try your suggestion and answer the question better (or hopefully just say yay! that worked! instead of listing what won't copy.)
    thanks for the suggestion!
    10-14-2011 11:53 AM
    This fixes the multi touch in the 3.1 IHO kernel also. https://github.com/drewwalton1921680...62c29b4b53bbe1

Also trying to get QPST to read the phone while booted. I'll keep plugging away.
    10-17-2011 02:34 AM
    This fixes the multi touch in the 3.1 IHO kernel also. https://github.com/drewwalton1921680...62c29b4b53bbe1

Also trying to get QPST to read the phone while booted. I'll keep plugging away.
    Thanks for sharing the info...I'll work on adding and testing it on the V sometime this week.
    10-17-2011 04:58 AM
1,060 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD