Building your own ROM

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't hurt to grab them. So long as the build compiles without errors, you should have everything you need in the blobs in the repository. Thanks for taking on the extract-files.sh translation, that should especially come in handy if/when Optimus S's arrive with Gingerbread, allowing us to grab the needed files much easier.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So I randomly discovered that I have enough C knowledge to understand at least some of the IHO source code lol...

Because of that I couldn't resist the urge to tinker with it a bit, before trying to make any of my own changes I decided to first just see if I could get something to compile and quite frankly I'm starting to feel stupid (I don't like feeling stupid; I'm not stupid lol)...

Anyway if I'm reading my log file properly it almost looks like it's claiming my computer isn't 64 bit which is just not the case as I'm building this on a custom built i3 machine I did a few months ago (I assure it's 64 bit :D ). Before I go about redownloading and reinstalling ubuntu I thought I'd throw this up here and see if maybe I'm missing something else entirely.

Unfortunately terminal chops the log in the buffer so I don't have the first half of it, but if someone doesn't mind taking a look through what I do have anyway any sort of feedback would be totally awesome.

compile_log

As always thanks for everything; you guys rock!

rb64

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
So I randomly discovered that I have enough C knowledge to understand at least some of the IHO source code lol...

Because of that I couldn't resist the urge to tinker with it a bit, before trying to make any of my own changes I decided to first just see if I could get something to compile and quite frankly I'm starting to feel stupid (I don't like feeling stupid; I'm not stupid lol)...

Anyway if I'm reading my log file properly it almost looks like it's claiming my computer isn't 64 bit which is just not the case as I'm building this on a custom built i3 machine I did a few months ago (I assure it's 64 bit :D ). Before I go about redownloading and reinstalling ubuntu I thought I'd throw this up here and see if maybe I'm missing something else entirely.

Unfortunately terminal chops the log in the buffer so I don't have the first half of it, but if someone doesn't mind taking a look through what I do have anyway any sort of feedback would be totally awesome.

compile_log

As always thanks for everything; you guys rock!
sblood86, welcome to the "need to reinstall with 64bit" club.

A few months ago, I tried to build cm7 for the Nook Color on 32bit
Ubuntu. Then I learned 64bit was required.

Btw, in post #3, JerryScript talks about 64bit in step 1

Reactions: sblood86

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
sblood86, welcome to the "need to reinstall with 64bit" club.

A few months ago, I tried to build cm7 for the Nook Color on 32bit
Ubuntu. Then I learned 64bit was required.

Btw, in post #3, JerryScript talks about 64bit in step 1

Alright that was my thought/and question, thanks a lot!
It's been awhile since I did the OS install for linux on the machine in question and while I could have sworn I installed the 64 bit version when I saw the above errors I was, well lets just say concerned ;)

I actually started downloaded the 64 bit version of ubuntu to reinstall it but I was hoping for a second opinion before doing so. Shouldn't take awfully long to do so than I can restart to rebuild my environment, again thanks for the input.

Edit: and yes I was aware 64 bit was required just a matter of not keeping up with my own software ;)

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, after 18 hours of trying countless methods and about 30 reboots to repair/reinstall ubuntu 11.04; I've realized that after getting over stressed from a build error I did a hard shutdown and it broke all the data on my ext4 partition. EVERY 11.04 installer either doesn't boot or hangs infinitely during the process.

I've decided that only way to get a regular install working is to fall back to 10.10 LTS. Then decide if I think I can upgrade without breaking the OS. With 4 years of using ubuntu I've never had an installation issue this complex.

Maybe I should contact the technical support? lol.

EDIT: Now my Windows is broken. I am now officially an idiot because I deleted my complete Windows Backup image to make space for the ubuntu install. I can't think of a way this can get worse. (Nevermind, I can imagine a few more possibilities.)

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright well thanks to blarf, kemicalElite, jerryscript and decad3nce I was able to successfully able to make a build. I kept getting the error of something like make error the make file is used by a different version when I tried to lunch.
What happened and what was wrong. Basically to sum it up. I had android open source, as well as cyanogens and blarfs source all on my computer.
How I fixed it. I just deleted all source folders and did a reinit of only blarfs source. Problem solved. Question is now if I make a theme or want to try to make my own changes how do I do that without it being deleted on my next repo sync? If you answer please explain it like I'm slow :D

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Alright well thanks to blarf, kemicalElite, jerryscript and decad3nce I was able to successfully able to make a build. I kept getting the error of something like make error the make file is used by a different version when I tried to lunch.
What happened and what was wrong. Basically to sum it up. I had android open source, as well as cyanogens and blarfs source all on my computer.
How I fixed it. I just deleted all source folders and did a reinit of only blarfs source. Problem solved. Question is now if I make a theme or want to try to make my own changes how do I do that without it being deleted on my next repo sync? If you answer please explain it like I'm slow :D

Unsaved changes (potentially commits too) will be preserved AFAIK. If you're really nervous you can do git diff on a single repository or repo diff for the whole thing. Or if you plan a lot of really intrusive changes (or plan to publicly distribute your changes, etc) you can fork whatever repository (repo fork? take a look at the repo documentation, I'm lazy and haven't read it).

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Unsaved changes (potentially commits too) will be preserved AFAIK. If you're really nervous you can do git diff on a single repository or repo diff for the whole thing. Or if you plan a lot of really intrusive changes (or plan to publicly distribute your changes, etc) you can fork whatever repository (repo fork? take a look at the repo documentation, I'm lazy and haven't read it).
Git commands are like chinese to me :D I think that if I make any changes that would be good to the community I'll just figure it out then. I've been scouring the interwebs getting miui like icons and made a theme cuz the stock is well green ( I only like to see that when someone angers the hulk) I'll post it when I'm done. If you want to add it to the source. Cool.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Git is a pita to learn, but I'm not giving up on it. In order to insure clean builds for now, I only use repo and sync inferiorhumanorgans. Blarf has been so fast at fixing things, and I've been so busy at work, I really have only had time to compile nightlies and try to do some testing of the install before posting. I keep any changes I make in my own test builds (not posted ones) in seperate folders, and manually sync them, though with Blarf's speed at fixing things, I've mostly just been deleting them! ;)

Blarf is getting close to a point with his work where he may want to begin to call it a beta. At that point, I will continue posting nightlies (should have my process for his repo automated by then), and any significant change that would +.1 his beta I would link to seperately. This way, those of us who like to can bug test the nightlies, and those who want stability can use the beta.

Looking forward to seeing your theme asadullah, and I hope to see you create a ROM, as if you haven't made enough ROMs already. :p

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Git is a pita to learn, but I'm not giving up on it. In order to insure clean builds for now, I only use repo and sync inferiorhumanorgans. Blarf has been so fast at fixing things, and I've been so busy at work, I really have only had time to compile nightlies and try to do some testing of the install before posting. I keep any changes I make in my own test builds (not posted ones) in seperate folders, and manually sync them, though with Blarf's speed at fixing things, I've mostly just been deleting them! ;)

Blarf is getting close to a point with his work where he may want to begin to call it a beta. At that point, I will continue posting nightlies (should have my process for his repo automated by then), and any significant change that would +.1 his beta I would link to seperately. This way, those of us who like to can bug test the nightlies, and those who want stability can use the beta.

Looking forward to seeing your theme asadullah, and I hope to see you create a ROM, as if you haven't made enough ROMs already. :p
I'm done with roms I'm starting to feel like motorola :D I put out something with potential and then get distracted by something else. I think I'll just try and help others if they want it. That way the roms around here just keep getting better instead of fragmented.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to the info about the issue asadullah was having. When you run the make command, all android make files in that directory structure are searched for. So if you have other source files in the same directory tree, you will get errors like asadullah mentioned. It's a small problem with using globals instead of hardcoded references, but it also forces you to keep a well organized build environment, which is not a bad thing. ;)

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Git commands are like chinese to me :D I think that if I make any changes that would be good to the community I'll just figure it out then. I've been scouring the interwebs getting miui like icons and made a theme cuz the stock is well green ( I only like to see that when someone angers the hulk) I'll post it when I'm done. If you want to add it to the source. Cool.

Git is a pain to use. It was designed for the people who wrote it to use it, it was not designed for other people to use. Github takes some of the sting out of it, but not all. Gerrit (the code review thing that CyanogenMod uses) is atrocious.

jack454

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The first time I tried to compile this it worked perfectly. The rom is running on my phone now. Suddenly I'm getting this error.
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
Then it will start to complie and end with this.
frameworks/base/tools/layoutlib/bridge/src/com/android/layoutlib/bridge/BridgeRenderSession.java:85: method does not override or implement a method from a supertype
@Override
^
frameworks/base/tools/layoutlib/bridge/src/com/android/layoutlib/bridge/BridgeRenderSession.java:94: method does not override or implement a method from a supertype
@Override
^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
2 errors
make: *** [out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/layoutlib_intermediates/javalib.jar] Error 41
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The first time I tried to compile this it worked perfectly. The rom is running on my phone now. Suddenly I'm getting this error.

Then it will start to complie and end with this.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

I believe blarf (who maintains the repo fork where the android source is downloaded from) needs to pull in upstream changes from the CM repo (where the cyanogenmod source is hosted) to fix compiling CM7 correctly.
This normally gets updated when blarf changes the kernel. This is normally synced during night hours.

Reactions: jack454

jack454

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe blarf (who maintains the repo fork where the android source is downloaded from) needs to pull in upstream changes from the CM repo (where the cyanogenmod source is hosted) to fix compiling CM7 correctly.
This normally gets updated when blarf changes the kernel. This is normally synced during night hours.

Ok thanks. I'll try again tomorrow after I sync tonight.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyway I can talk blarfie or jerryscript into removing the initlogo.rle from android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files. It's the extra lg that you see that wasn't on the phone till cm7.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyway I can talk blarfie or jerryscript into removing the initlogo.rle from android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files. It's the extra lg that you see that wasn't on the phone till cm7.

Isn't that just there because we took out that annoying virgin mobile boot animation? Most of us are used to seeing the second logo. It reminds me of the ignition stages.

I remember a Samsung Captivate ROM that would speak the loading stages in a boot sound after flashing. I'll have to look for it.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that just there because we took out that annoying virgin mobile boot animation? Most of us are used to seeing the second logo. It reminds me of the ignition stages.

I remember a Samsung Captivate ROM that would speak the loading stages in a boot sound after flashing. I'll have to look for it.

No it's not part of anything it was added to the source by aosp it's in the source it's location is /android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files/initlogo.rle it's a quick fix. If you open up your original ramdisk using splitbootimg.pl it's not in there just the other files. If you remove the virgin mobile bootanimations all you'll see is the lg sign once and the stock android bootanimation (glowing words android).

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
No it's not part of anything it was added to the source by aosp it's in the source it's location is /android/system/device/lge/thunderc/files/initlogo.rle it's a quick fix. If you open up your original ramdisk using splitbootimg.pl it's not in there just the other files. If you remove the virgin mobile bootanimations all you'll see is the lg sign once and the stock android bootanimation (glowing words android).

Or we could replace that second lg logo with something more useful. Like a custom logo or software version, etc.

And the boot sound from the Captivate I was talking about was the voodoo kernel. It seems like an interesting feature.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Or we could replace that second lg logo with something more useful. Like a custom logo or software version, etc.

And the boot sound from the Captivate I was talking about was the voodoo kernel. It seems like an interesting feature.

It's a B!t*h making an rle just saying. But adding a PowerOn.mp3 (boot sound) to /system/sound/audio i think it is isn't hard.
Almost forgot created my github account. Not making any roms just gonna try make patches and help fix some of the smaller problems and run them by blarf to see if he's cool with them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE