Building your own ROM

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a B!t*h making an rle just saying. But adding a PowerOn.mp3 (boot sound) to /system/sound/audio i think it is isn't hard.
Almost forgot created my github account. Not making any roms just gonna try make patches and help fix some of the smaller problems and run them by blarf to see if he's cool with them.

I posted about this in the official thread. I ran across a script that has the command to play a boot sound during the boot animation. Its not working in the backside rom but it was working on ath3nos rom. Heres a link to the thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/102458-boot-sounds.html#post1109321

ETA:Update figure out the problem with it not playing it was commented in to the build.prop multiple times.

I have the script in my drop box but sometimes it errors out and what not. Lemme know if it does and Ill try to get it working right.

Last edited:

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
At the start of a VM670 build, I got the following:
Code:
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
The "Makefile:21" looks like these files are not being copied over correctly.
The "base_rules.mk:479" looks like there is a problem with that module.
Does anyone else get these warnings?

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
At the start of a VM670 build, I got the following:
Code:
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/hw/gralloc.default.so'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/lib/libril.so'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/base_rules.mk:479: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/bin/rild'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: overriding commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
build/core/Makefile:21: warning: ignoring old commands for target `out/target/product/thunderc/system/etc/init.local.rc'
No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE thunderc
The "Makefile:21" looks like these files are not being copied over correctly.
The "base_rules.mk:479" looks like there is a problem with that module.
Does anyone else get these warnings?

Ignore them unless you want to add proper tunables to the CM build system. If you value your sanity I'd recommend the former.

Reactions: BobZhome

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back...It's just that those are some important files. The warnings seem to indicate the they will not be used...how is it that they still make it to the phone?

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
All right do it your selfers so I been working pretty tough on two themes miui and a sense theme. Since I'm working from source I decided to get this as realistic as possible because the theme engine can only do so much (can't even change the lockscreen :( ) anyways I wanted to add the icon for the video camera back and it was pretty simple.
Navigate to ~/android/system/packages/app/camera/androidmanifest.xml
open it up with geany or text editor

then add this change this
Code:
<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.media.action.VIDEO_CAMERA" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />           
 </intent-filter>

to this
Code:
<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
 </intent-filter>

then open up terminal and type
Code:
 cd ~/android/system
make -j4 Camera
add it to your favorite zip file and flash away now you got an icon for video camera as well as the regular camera in your app drawer

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back...It's just that those are some important files. The warnings seem to indicate the they will not be used...how is it that they still make it to the phone?

I believe they are in the proprietary blobs Blarf added to the repository a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Lots of changes to CM7 tonite, everyone might want to resync with Blarf's repo!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
All right do it your selfers so I been working pretty tough on two themes miui and a sense theme. Since I'm working from source I decided to get this as realistic as possible because the theme engine can only do so much (can't even change the lockscreen :( ) anyways I wanted to add the icon for the video camera back and it was pretty simple.
Navigate to ~/android/system/packages/app/camera/androidmanifest.xml
open it up with geany or text editor

then add this change this
Code:
<intent-filter>
 </intent-filter>

to this
Code:
<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
 </intent-filter>

then open up terminal and type
Code:
 cd ~/android/system
make -j4 Camera
add it to your favorite zip file and flash away now you got an icon for video camera as well as the regular camera in your app drawer

You should submit this. ;)

Reactions: asadullah

fourgateftw

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks to blarf/jerryscript's initial posts, I successfully compiled a fresh checkout of the repo on arch linux. only thing I might add is the following, which may be specific to arch linux (x64):

in the last couple of lines in build/envsetup.sh... it uses setopt nullglob which doesn't work in my bash (quick googling seems to show that it's a zsh thing?). so i deleted those lines and added
. vendor/cyanogen/vendorsetup.sh
. device/lge/thunderc/vendorsetup.sh

after that i found i also needed 32 bit build environment after getting incompatible libgcc errors. for arch, you can follow the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...ild_32-bit_packages_for_i686_inside_Arch64.3F to get the packages necessary.

with those two fixes i was able to build update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, so several forum members have now successfully built a working ROM from the IHO repository. So you may be asking yourself, what do I do with all these files, how do I customize it, how do I make the changes I want to make? Here's a good video tutorial by TechTV that can help you get to the next level in building your own ROM. ;)

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jerry! A week ago I never even touched Linux before, but your instructions on the third post of this thread walked me through building my own rom, I like simplified instructions, I'm pretty new to any of this still.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Jerry, can you update the 3rd post? It seems like there are some outdated/contradicting info. use '-b gingerbread' or not? There are a lot of good details there that are lacking in the current wiki page to help someone new to build. Or could clean it up a bit and just add it to the wiki too. I'm itching to build my own ROM now, but would like to get a clearer understanding of the steps first.

Reactions: JerryScript

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm attempting to build this on a freshly installed Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 system, 15 minutes into 'make bacon', my last line is:

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/noproguard.classes-with-local.dex] Killed

Anyone know what this is? I followed Jerry's post #3 & added all of the components after fresh Ubuntu install. Here's more recent lines from the stdout before the killed part:
Aidl: framework <= frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/view/IInputCon - Pastebin.com

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
Jerry, can you update the 3rd post? It seems like there are some outdated/contradicting info. use '-b gingerbread' or not? There are a lot of good details there that are lacking in the current wiki page to help someone new to build. Or could clean it up a bit and just add it to the wiki too. I'm itching to build my own ROM now, but would like to get a clearer understanding of the steps first.

Yes, do use the gingerbread branch. As for your error it looks like you probably ran out of memory.

Reactions: Whyzor

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm attempting to build this on a freshly installed Ubuntu 11.04 AMD64 system, 15 minutes into 'make bacon', my last line is:

make: *** [out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/noproguard.classes-with-local.dex] Killed

Anyone know what this is? I followed Jerry's post #3 & added all of the components after fresh Ubuntu install. Here's more recent lines from the stdout before the killed part:
Aidl: framework <= frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/view/IInputCon - Pastebin.com

Did you ever get past this? I had the same error a couple of times recently, and I ended up deleting the entire source tree, including the hidden .repo file, and then doing a fresh repo init and repo sync. Built fine both times I had that error after fresh syncs. I'm not sure why we both get that same error, are you using the default install of Wubi like I am? If so, Blarf is probably right, since it creates a pathetically small space for Ubuntu to run it.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever get past this? I had the same error a couple of times recently, and I ended up deleting the entire source tree, including the hidden .repo file, and then doing a fresh repo init and repo sync. Built fine both times I had that error after fresh syncs. I'm not sure why we both get that same error, are you using the default install of Wubi like I am? If so, Blarf is probably right, since it creates a pathetically small space for Ubuntu to run it.

I have been getting the same error for a week, I thaugjt it had something to do with me running a 32bit vmware Ubuntu. I thaught I had it fixed when I cleaned up my builds and started completely fresh, but now it freezes up at installing system_network, so I'm guessing something didn't sync right and I will start all over AGAIN. Thanks again for your help jerry

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Another brand-noob guy trying out his first build. I tried setting up my arch linux system to do this, but I was running into trouble finding all the packages necessary ( for example I can't find the libsdl1.2-dev package for arch. Are some of them debian (and/or Ubuntu) specific?)

So I switched to my new Mint Debian Edition install and got everything in place that I needed (I think).

When I tried to make my bacon, I got the following, and have no idea how to fix it:

$ make -j2 bacon
============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=2.3.5
TARGET_PRODUCT=full
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=GINGERBREAD
============================================
Checking build tools versions...
find: `out/target/common/docs/gen': No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `bacon'. Stop.

:-\

Hope it isn't something really obvious (and stupid!)... I wonder if some directory isn't in the right place, or...

Last edited:

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I give up. Me and my PC just aren't meant to compile our own rom. Ok I don't give up, but I'm going to take a break. I will try it with debian alater and see if I have any luck

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Another brand-noob guy trying out his first build. I tried setting up my arch linux system to do this, but I was running into trouble finding all the packages necessary ( for example I can't find the libsdl1.2-dev package for arch. Are some of them debian (and/or Ubuntu) specific?)

So I switched to my new Mint Debian Edition install and got everything in place that I needed (I think).

When I tried to make my bacon, I got the following, and have no idea how to fix it:

:-\

Hope it isn't something really obvious (and stupid!)... I wonder if some directory isn't in the right place, or...

Did you run:
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch

Reactions: wilberfan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol