Building your own ROM

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Right. You need the 64-bit compatibility bits to build on a 32-bit install. In any case, use Ubuntu 10.04.

So based on that--and this from the beginning of this thread:

Just be sure you choose 64bit, I don't know if you can compile Android on 32bit installs.

is it the case that compiling is best done on a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 install?? (Why 10.04--and not 10.10...or even later? 10.04 is an "LTS" release--does that have something to do with it?)

Last edited:

joshgee

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Any tips for OSX users or should I just install Ubuntu? I'd rather stay with OSX, but if you guys can give some valid reasons to switch, I'm all ears.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

is it the case that compiling is best done on a 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 install?? (Why 10.04--and not 10.10...or even later? 10.04 is an "LTS" release--does that have something to do with it?)
32bit runs fine.
64 bit has other advantages, if you can use it, but not for this really. If you can use 64 bit, use it, since that is the future and you cannot switch from 32bit to 64bit without a re-install.

Also, it works fine on newer Ubuntu. On 11 there is an issue with remote systems such as VNC, it runs horribly slow. This also happens on some systems when not using a remote even. Just stick to Classic until they get the bugs worked out.

Now if they can get networking up to speed... grrrr. My network runs at USB speed (33MB per sec.), which is about 1/3rd what it should run at (come on guys, it's only been a known bug since 9.1!).

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have built many times with the latest 11.04 32-bit. Recently, upgraded to Ubuntu 64-bit to use all of the 4GB RAM and building with Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit now using the same IHO repo since I saved the home directory during the upgrade.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Also, it works fine on newer Ubuntu. On 11 there is an issue with remote systems such as VNC, it runs horribly slow. This also happens on some systems when not using a remote even. Just stick to Classic until they get the bugs worked out.

Now if they can get networking up to speed... grrrr. My network runs at USB speed (33MB per sec.), which is about 1/3rd what it should run at (come on guys, it's only been a known bug since 9.1!).

You could try Xvncserver or tightvncserver by creating a virtual desktop (i.e. not :0). They can be faster, especially with 16bit color desktop. But there are some problems that way such as dragndrop and authorization of some administration utilities (software update, etc.) not working. If you share the desktop :)0) with Vino (builtin desktop sharing), the only problem is that it is slower. I choose Classic Ubuntu without effects to login and the network bandwidth requirement is ~300 Kbps for 24bit, 1280x960 desktop. A little sluggish but still usable in the WiFi network at home.

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm too new at this to know what I'm doing, but I've been trying to compile today from both the IHO repo and BobZhome's repo.

With the latest attempt from BobZ's, I get this:

SNIP

I've been getting an error with the IHO, as well. (I've been following the steps as outlined in post #3 in this thread.)

Any idea what could be wrong?

I use Ubuntu 10.10 -64 bit and my repo is buildable. I did a VM670 build the night before my power went out.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Ubuntu 10.10 -64 bit and my repo is buildable. I did a VM670 build the night before my power went out.

Ouch. Hope you get your AC back soon!

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 64bit this afternoon--pretty slick. They've come along way since I first tried 'em (was it Dapper?)--except when it comes to their standard theme color choices! :(

[ Besides, my 64bit AMD had 4 distros on it (Win7, Debian Testing, LMDE, & Arch)--none of them 64bit! Maybe 64bit OS's are "ready for prime time" now. (Especially 'buntu?) For the longest time they were kind of a pain-in-the-ass. ]

@BobZ: Your power problems will have precluded you from updating your repo at the github, correct? If I managed to get a successful compile done--would it more or less represent the 0822 binary already available?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You could try Xvncserver or tightvncserver by creating a virtual desktop (i.e. not :0). They can be faster, especially with 16bit color desktop. But there are some problems that way such as dragndrop and authorization of some administration utilities (software update, etc.) not working. If you share the desktop :)0) with Vino (builtin desktop sharing), the only problem is that it is slower. I choose Classic Ubuntu without effects to login and the network bandwidth requirement is ~300 Kbps for 24bit, 1280x960 desktop. A little sluggish but still usable in the WiFi network at home.

Tried that, it's a bug with the interface. Some have had luck using the Tight setting with VNC in general, for others, nothing seems to help except using the classic interface.

I'm not concerned about badnwidth, I have an internal gigabit network and 300mb wireless. Even over gigabit using TightVNC using the tight settings and lower quality I couldn't get it to refresh the desktop. the only solution was using classic.

Now if I can jut get Samba to run faster than USB speeds. Sorry, but 30-40MB per second, over a Gigabit Lan known to push 110 MB per second isn't going to cut it. It's pretty much my final hurdle on this project.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Now if I can jut get Samba to run faster than USB speeds. Sorry, but 30-40MB per second, over a Gigabit Lan known to push 110 MB per second isn't going to cut it. It's pretty much my final hurdle on this project.

have you tried NFS? I had all kinds of trouble getting Samba to work but NFS was great over wifi.

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
@BobZ: Your power problems will have precluded you from updating your repo at the github, correct? If I managed to get a successful compile done--would it more or less represent the 0822 binary already available?

If you check my android/default.xml all the threads that end with remote = icarus will not get updated. I manual pull those.

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
If you check my android/default.xml all the threads that end with remote = icarus will not get updated. I manual pull those.

So the one I'm interested in (IHO-Optimus V) DOES get updated, based on this line?

Code:
<project path="vendor/lge/thunderc" name="inferiorhumanorgans/vendor_lge_thunderc" remote="github" />

And, therefore, whenever I compile from it--that should be the lastest available? [noob cringe]

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So the one I'm interested in (IHO-Optimus V) DOES get updated, based on this line?

Code:
<project path="vendor/lge/thunderc" name="inferiorhumanorgans/vendor_lge_thunderc" remote="github" />

And, therefore, whenever I compile from it--that should be the lastest available? [noob cringe]
Correct... that will grab from Blarfs vendor_lge_thunderc, if he has pushed any changes.
the following, I control:
Code:
  <project path="build" name="android_build" remote="icarus">
  <project path="device/huawei/ascend" name="android_device_huawei_ascend" remote="icarus" />
  <project path="device/lge/thunderc" name="android_device_lge_thunderc" remote="icarus" />
  <project path="vendor/lge/thunderc" name="vendor_lge_thunderc" remote="icarus" />
I control them because they have been altered by me to either, remove, add, or alter settings and/or apps.

So I wasn't able to control those until tonight, when I final got my power back :)
Tomorrow afternoon, I should get my Internet back and I'll post the build I'm about to compile ;)
I'm tethering off my phone right now :cool:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
have you tried NFS? I had all kinds of trouble getting Samba to work but NFS was great over wifi.

Everything I read about it said that basically it would be a hassle, and that win 7 doesn't implement it well. Even if I got it working, it would at best be similar speeds. I did set up an FTP, and that too was just as slow.

Over wireless, I doubt you would see a big problem. 30-40 MBps is N wireless speeds. By comparison though, I'm used to getting 100-110 MBps almost maxing out the drive and gigabit LAN's 125 MBps theoretical limit. Which was what this system was designed to do. I spent a lot of time and money on this sever, not getting it, is not acceptable. Okay, for a new computer it was cheap, but still.

Sadly, that was the last thing I had to do and I would have been quite happy with that for my server . After 3 days of fighting, I'm done. I'm rebuilding it with Win7 64bit and throwing in some spare parts to give it a speed boost.

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct... that will grab from Blarfs vendor_lge_thunderc, if he has pushed any changes.
the following, I control:
Code:
  <project path="build" name="android_build" remote="icarus">
  <project path="device/huawei/ascend" name="android_device_huawei_ascend" remote="icarus" />
  <project path="device/lge/thunderc" name="android_device_lge_thunderc" remote="icarus" />
  <project path="vendor/lge/thunderc" name="vendor_lge_thunderc" remote="icarus" />
I control them because they have been altered by me to either, remove, add, or alter settings and/or apps.

So I wasn't able to control those until tonight, when I final got my power back :)
Tomorrow afternoon, I should get my Internet back and I'll post the build I'm about to compile ;)
I'm tethering off my phone right now :cool:

Okay, bear with this struggling noob, here...

To test my new Ubuntu 11.04 (64) install, I tried a compile tonight--following Jerry's steps (post #3). In place of his:
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
I did a:
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/[B]BobZhome[/B]/android.git -b gingerbread

It worked! (Or at least it finished without any appreciable errors.)

Now, assuming I ran my sync and compile AFTER you updated <project path="device/lge/thunderc" name="android_device_lge_thunderc" remote="icarus" /> , would my resulting .zip(s) be an "official" BobZhome ROM? (Just compiled by me, instead of BobZ?)

Or does it not work that way?

Also: I ended up with 2 .zip files:
cyanogen_thunderc_VM670-ota-eng.wilberfan.zip and update-cm-7.1-RC1-LG-VM670-BobZhome-08302011-signed.zip

They're only about 2 MB different in size... Do I flash the first one only? How is the "update-" one different? And when would it be appropriate to use that one?? My phone currently has the 0822 BobZ on it--would the update- .zip merely update my existing install? Obviously, I'm not clear on how those two files are supposed to be used... :-\

Oh, and congrats on getting your power back!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You should have a working build there. ;)

The update zip file has had the apk files optimized and zipaligned, that's why it's smaller, and it's the one you want to flash.

wilberfan

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
You should have a working build there. ;)

The update zip file has had the apk files optimized and zipaligned, that's why it's smaller, and it's the one you want to flash.

Cool! :cool:

I'm still unclear, though, on when that first .zip would be used? None of the .zip files I've downloaded from the IHO binary page have been "update- " files (or at least they haven't been labeled that way).

Is, in fact, the "update-" used to, well, update an existing ROM of the same kind?

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Cool! :cool:

I'm still unclear, though, on when that first .zip would be used? None of the .zip files I've downloaded from the IHO binary page have been "update- " files (or at least they haven't been labeled that way).

Is, in fact, the "update-" used to, well, update an existing ROM of the same kind?

The update file is the one you want to flash. It will update your current ROM to the BobZ version. You can change the file name to whatever you want. Congratulations on your first build!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The first zip file created is used to create variations on the build process. If you started the build with make -j2 otapackage you would end up with an over-the-air ready zip file instead of an update zip file. You'll have to read the documentation to determine the differences between the various build flags and what types of final packaging is available.

compjake

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Code:
jacob@android-develpment:~/android/system$ repo init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
Getting repo ...
   from git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git
android.git.kernel.org[0: 149.20.4.77]: errno=Connection refused
android.git.kernel.org[0: 2001:4f8:1:10:1972:112:1:0]: errno=Network is unreachable
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Network is unreachable)
jacob@android-develpment:~/android/system$

I heard about the hack of kernel.org, is that why I get this error?
Is there an alternative to "git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git"?

I have never built rom for android, my last big venture into the Linux and phone world was the Moto Razr2 V8 2GB.
(if you don't know how hard those where to mod, do a Google search. Android is like child's play in comparison)
Since then I have fallen back to using and fixing Windows 7 and OS X computers (it is my job after all lol) so I'm not as good as I was with Linux like 3 years ago.

Reactions: bigsupersquid
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
it says they took the servers down for testing/cleanup. no indication of when they'll have 'em back up.
I got that error today too, wondered what was up. good to know it wasn't my janky system acting up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs