Building your own ROM

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it fix's issue #54
Your using 3.1, 3.2 was the failed headset try, and 3.3 has Drew's axis-inversion(a multi touch tweak). It's a very small improvement...I didn't notice much of a change.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
And to added custom carrier label to your builds, grab these two cherry-picks:
Code:
git fetch http://review.cyanogenmod.com/p/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base refs/changes/14/7314/2 && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD
git fetch http://review.cyanogenmod.com/p/CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_CMParts refs/changes/13/7313/3 && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD

I can't seem to "fetch" these files.

I get this error:

Code:
From http://review.cyanogenmod.com/p/CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_CMParts
 * branch            refs/changes/13/7313/3 -> FETCH_HEAD
fatal: You do not have a valid HEAD

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it fix's issue #54
Your using 3.1, 3.2 was the failed headset try, and 3.3 has Drew's axis-inversion(a multi touch tweak). It's a very small improvement...I didn't notice much of a change.

I have built IHO after syncing with the huge number of changes in the CM repo that came with 7.2.0-RC0. Camera app started crashing/ freezing and complaining that it cannot connect to hardware afterwards. I have deleted the camera app from my copy of CM repo and switched the camera in BobZhome repo. It now works with all the changes in the CM repo (thank you Bob, thank you). There are no other problems to report, everything seems to be in order. Additionally, I can confirm that issue #54 is fixed now in this latest build. I have merged the file permission changes Bob very kindly gave to us. Just FYI.

However, I will not upload this build to Wiki but just post an announcement in the IHO thread for the users who want to test these large number of changes while I also test for another couple of days.

Reactions: JerryScript

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
These two commits broke the CM7 video camera, so revert if you want a working video cam. But BobZhome's camera is still the better choice.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/ff4f822722ef3c4cc02e99259b0f201d293cbc8a

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/cb2e2f8f6f713733928c3392c06d291a9daaa4c2

I agree, I will stay on Bob's Camera source. I hope that is okay with you, Bob. Thanks to both of you.

Did you see Koush's response to Jerry on Github for the error report? :eek:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Koush is a douche. There, I've said it. He didn't respond to request to have a bad manifest removed from his ROM Manager which resulted in the soft-bricking of hundreds of OVs (I wonder how many were returned for warranty?), even though many of us PAID for ROM Manager. And now he once again snubs his nose at us. I wish I could take back every cent I paid him, and remove every post I ever made recommending people donate to him for the recovery.

I don't pay to be b@#$% slapped!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
wow, that was some petty commenting on github.
sorry, jerry and mrg.
if those guys wanted to complain, they should have asked for more specific data about the breakage, rather than griping about blarf not jumping through their hoops to be allowed to contribute code. they've already made it clear they weren't interested in adding support for these phones.
I wasn't going to say anything, but after reading those commit comments...

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
wow, that was some petty commenting on github.
sorry, jerry and mrg.
if those guys wanted to complain, they should have asked for more specific data about the breakage, rather than griping about blarf not jumping through their hoops to be allowed to contribute code. they've already made it clear they weren't interested in adding support for these phones.
I wasn't going to say anything, but after reading those commit comments...

The response was defensive and immature. But, let's be fair with one thing. CM is a large and complex project. There will be some conditions (hoops) to be met in order to integrate another device. But, I think IHO is fine outside the CM. I know saying this is a little selfish since I build my ROM when I want. It could be easier for the users to download nightly builds. However, I am still building my ROM for the Nook Color although nightlies are available for it since my own build performs better, all the clutter cleaned up, and some persistent bugs are fixed.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I emailed defer, explained our frustrations, and he has offered suggestions towards inclusion into CM. I think there should be some discussion here about how everyone feels about taking this step. Someone would probably have to accept the responsibility of maintaining the thunderc branch.

The one time I mentioned it to Blarf, he was non-commital about it. Seems there would be some major changes to the way Blarf set up IHO before it can be accepted by CM.

I'm for attempting to get included before the CM9 release, if that's possible.

Reactions: mrg666 and Whyzor

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I see this all too often where I work. Processes are created (some reasonable, others too much work), people don't follow them, disputes happen. Not saying anyone's at fault, the comments started out pretty innocent. Hopefully whoever creates the ICS branch will add it to the main CM tree, if not for the simple reason that CM commits that break our phones will get more visibility.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I emailed defer, explained our frustrations, and he has offered suggestions towards inclusion into CM. I think there should be some discussion here about how everyone feels about taking this step. Someone would probably have to accept the responsibility of maintaining the thunderc branch.

The one time I mentioned it to Blarf, he was non-commital about it. Seems there would be some major changes to the way Blarf set up IHO before it can be accepted by CM.

most likely blarf went with what actually worked rather than making it fit the cm standards. I suspect partly the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, which I fully agree with.
anyone handling the maintainer position would really be in for a lot of work, I bet.
I'm much more interested in what changes would be necessary for inclusion, it's possible they'd help the device folder fit/work better with aosp... iho device_lge_thunderc really doesn't align well at all with the device folder format as that seems to be set up in aosp or CAF (which is similar but different)

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Whoever takes the lead, I am ready to help. Blarf's work is an excellent base to start with.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, apparently the only way to get help from the CM dev team is to use irc. Seems a project as large as CM would benefit from a path to inclusion being laid out in writing, rather than going and begging for help in a chat room.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, apparently the only way to get help from the CM dev team is to use irc. Seems a project as large as CM would benefit from a path to inclusion being laid out in writing, rather than going and begging for help in a chat room.

hackers aren't exactly known to be good at documenting things ;)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
not only hackers! google completely killed the device porting section of their online docs as 'outdated' and never bothered to revive or update it yet. kandroid is the best source I've found for those lost docs.

irc sucks, unless you like to chat.
its main benefit is speed of response I think.

new development for cm would benefit from standards in writing, but the cm maintainers themselves probably wouldn't see a lot of benefit from good documentation of requirements except for improved submissions for inclusion.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
generic_armv5 builds to a point and crashes with assembler errors. armv6-vfp fouls the dalvik build instead, and doesn't get as far as generic_armv5.
plain generic now defaults to armv7 :'(
it's a big fight to get armv6-vfp all the way into the new dalvik, looks like they changed variable names and stuff. I gave up for now...
I'm right now trying to build just libdvm for armv5te-vfp and build everything else for armv6-vfp, we'll see how that goes.

edit:
no dice trying to split it up, changing TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT and TARGET_CPU_ABI after dalvik is completely built still causes spazzes in dalvik about armv6. I'm going back to poking at armv5te-vfp.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm resyncing the source I wasn't able to compile generic twice. May have something to do with upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 which I recently did. Or other things cm7 is cool bit I really don't want to wait two months for it even upgraded my ram to 8 gigs (all she can take)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
dunno about ubuntu version, I run debian sqeeze and rarely update anything. I'm maxed at 2GB ram on my 1.6GHz fujitsu laptop. Works way better than my old dell desktop @2GHz with 512MB ram, about 5x as fast. Only about 5 hrs to compile IHO with my newer toy :p

edit: I'm still getting new stuff on re-sync.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You could look on craigslist and find something faster very cheap. An IHO build on my 3.2ghz system (2.7 oc'd) with 2gig ram completes in about 45 minutes, incremental builds only take about 15 minutes (building a package, then the whole project after it's been built previously). I can't imagine waiting 5 hours for a build to complete, that would drive me crazy trying to debug!

JB said in the release announcement that the push was so large we could expect to have incomplete syncs for days. Not sure if that's the issue causing sync to grab more files each time, or if they are already pushing new stuff out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze